Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your score

Default What's your score

And don't cheat! It will skew any subsequent analysis.

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly 93.94 %
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

You answered 23 out of 33 correctly — 69.70 %

Considering I ain't no Yank and know next to jack shit about Yank guvmint policies and Yank history, I'll take it.

And when the blurb at the start of the test states The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. , I consider myself 348% more knowledgeable about Yanksville than actual Yanks do. But there's only a 82% chance of that being true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

But I must admit I did guess a couple (well, an educated guess). Was wrong on #4, 8, 11 and 22. Guessed on 7, 8, 11, 15, 19.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

78.79%

Economics ain't my bag.

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.7%

I felt some of these questions had a very conservative bias.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

32. Wasn't sure which aspect of slavery Lincoln and Douglas debated.
    Hope is the denial of reality

What the devil does Sputnik have to do with American Civics anyways?

31 out of 33

Missed 7 and 15. I've always been bad as questions like that. Take all these important moments that are slightly related to each other, and peg which one these few words came out of

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Or plato, socrates, aristotle, and aquinas.. And are puritans relevant in American Civics? And the last question is really obvious since the answer just adds two words, and the answer to the first question is given a few questions later.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %.

Missed 13 about Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post

I felt some of these questions had a very conservative bias.
    Totally agree.

Also - I got the Life Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness wrong. I put down property. I completely knew the answer.... The other one I got wrong as what the anti-Federalists held out for - I answered the power to tax.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    It started the space race - a very big deal.
    The Rules

I missed Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, and Socrates. Felt like an idiot after.

In all honesty, I would have missed the one about Douglas and Lincoln as well if a certain little girl I know hadn't used Douglas for the letter D in her social studies project (that she made a B on). After she finished it I skimmed through to see what she had done so it refreshed my memory.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I missed Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, and Socrates. Felt like an idiot after.

In all honesty, I would have missed the one about Douglas and Lincoln as well if a certain little girl I know hadn't used Douglas for the letter D in her social studies project (that she made a B on). After she finished it I skimmed through to see what she had done so it refreshed my memory.
    God I love my kids. Aren't they great?
    The Rules

Ouch, Khan, anti-Federalists wanting to give the gov. the power to tax??

Having said that, 29/33 for me
    Missed 7 & 15 like OG, as well as 27 & 30. Not exactly well versed in economics, but like you guys I thought the answers to those were quite conservative.

Looking at the table they provide when you've finished is interesting, too. I wouldn't've pegged the definition of a public good as the 2nd most closely known by citizens and officials. Awkward wording, eww.

You totally have no room to criticize.
    The Rules

32. Not sure what some of these have to do with American civics, though.

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

No thanks, this is a partisan site. Some of these questions are pushing philosophy as fact. For example:

30) Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?
    A. increasing both taxes and spending
    B. increasing taxes and decreasing spending
    C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending
    D. decreasing both taxes and spending
    There is no concrete answer to this, it is based on one's economic philosophy. This and a couple of other questions make me think that we're looking at a subtle push poll whose purpose is to actually influence opinions. No good social scientist would put a question like this on a poll.

Actually, that's a pretty straightforward question. It doesn't say "which policy should the government enact", merely "which policy it is mostly like to enact", and lower taxes and higher spending is what a vast majority of US governments have done over the last half century. There were a few more objectionable questions though.

Depends on whether one depends primarily on Keynesian approaches or not. You've made your opinion clear, but others disagree.

But the point is that every US government (for at least half a century) has undertaken these policies...That's a simple fact. It doesn't matter if one agrees with those policies.

I'm thick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I thought George HW Bush raised taxes?

He raised taxes in 1989 (for the 1990 budget). The recession started in July 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Depends on whether one depends primarily on Keynesian approaches or not. You've made your opinion clear, but others disagree.
    Thats the answer I gave and I know fuck-all about economics, its just that this seemed like the most reasonable answer, and most commonly used method in the past, so please stop trying to cast this as some result of partisan hackery.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    I thought George HW Bush raised taxes?
    You didn't read his lips.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Thats the answer I gave and I know fuck-all about economics, its just that this seemed like the most reasonable answer, and most commonly used method in the past, so please stop trying to cast this as some result of partisan hackery.
    Right. You have to answer it based on history, not based on ideology.
    The Rules

Wow, I pulled off a 93.94%. I missed #7 (Gov't of, by, for people) and #13 (about philosophers).
    Your search had no results.

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %
    Guess that's not bad for someone who doesn't remember her history classes, never studied philosophy or economics, and is lucky to remember what I had for dinner.

I missed #4, 7, 8, 29, and 33.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!