Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Zarmina's World" -- Astronomer's Zeroing in On Habitable Extrasolars

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    There is also the ever present "I won't be around for it, so why should I care?" mentality that makes me want to verbally throttle people...
    Who does that in a serious argument?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Have you seen the people who post on and on about "Malthusian fallacy OLOL OLOL"?
    You mean the people who think ignoring the axiom "change happens" is not a good way to go about predicting the future?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Who does that in a serious argument?
    It's a more coherent argument than the one advanced by Evangelical Christianity, the Rapture's coming so we can fuck everything up anyway. These people ran nations. And will again in 2012!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You mean the people who think ignoring the axiom "change happens" is not a good way to go about predicting the future?
    I don't think so, but I may be mistaken.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The first exoplanet discovered in the habitable zone could be a mirage, according to reports from an exoplanet meeting yesterday. A second team of astronomers couldn’t find the planet in their data.

The long-sought planet, dubbed Gliese 581g, was detected using a combination of 122 observations over 11 years from the Keck Telescope in Hawaii, and 119 published measurements from the HARPS spectrograph that spanned 4.3 years, up until 2008. The HARPS team had already found four other planets circling Gliese 581 by teasing out the star’s subtle motion in response to the planets’ gravitational tugs.

On Sept. 29, Steven Vogt of the University of California, Santa Cruz and R. Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington announced that adding their decade of observations to the data pool pointed to the existence of two more planets. One of the new planets sits squarely in the star’s habitable zone, where liquid water could persist at the planet’s surface and life could find a foothold.

But not so fast, says the HARPS team. Astronomer Francesco Pepe of the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland, who spoke Oct. 11 at an International Astronomical Union symposium on planetary systems, reported a new analysis using only HARPS data, but adding an extra 60 data points to the observations published in 2008. He and his colleagues could find no trace of the planet.

“I am not overly surprised by this as these are very weak signals, and adding 60 points onto 119 does not necessarily translate to big gains in sensitivity,” Vogt told Wired.com in an e-mail. He added that the non-detection doesn’t mean the planet doesn’t exist — it may be that it’s only detectable using both data sets.

“I do not wish to comment on Pepe’s result as I haven’t seen his data,” Vogt said. “But I have tremendous respect for their work, and look forward to seeing their additional data on this and other systems of mutual interest.”
    Source

Remember, folks, tax hikes == good!

Damn....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Damn....
    Silver lining...we won't have to call it Zarmina. A single person shouldn't get to name planets.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Silver lining...we won't have to call it Zarmina. A single person shouldn't get to name planets.
    Eh. Who can say if it would have stuck anyway. There's likely billions of planets out there, so pretty much everybody could name one. What term is it you use to taunt me? Choobyland? I think Illusions would make a great name for the right world....
    The Rules

I think Illusions would make a great name for the right world....
    At the moment, it looks like a great name for Gliese 581g
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Heh.
    The Rules

Gliese 581g gets straight to the point though, and is no-nonsense.
    . . .