Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truly Renewable Energy

Solar is far more prevalent than either wind or hydro, and solar will be present longer than both of those.

Yes, but like everyone else so far you've gotten hung up on the first paragraph. Read the rest. The computer and its robots and jobs.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The Earth won't be here any longer when we run out of solar power...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Well, you are both wrong. Sharp's best single crystal commercial panel is only 14.7% efficient and it is very pricey. Also, the efficiency rating is at 24 C which is completely unrealistic because efficiency degrades rapidly with increased temperature (and did I mention they act as a heat sink, so they get very hot). They don't even list efficiencies for thin film panels because they are so embarassingly low (6 to 10%).
    Really?

Look, I agree it's not yet commercially available, but they (SunPower) have a full scale cell working at 24.2% efficiency.

Once you use solar energy it is gone. The water's kinetic energy is restored by weather.
    Bullshit. Weather is driven by convection in the atmosphere and evaporation of water, which is driven by solar power. Hydro is effectively a really roundabout way of harnessing solar energy. For that matter, so are fossil fuels and most other forms of energy we use (e.g. wind). Take away the sun, and all of the rest go, too - though at least in the case of fossil fuels you'd still have some residual fuel left without the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    The Earth won't be here any longer when we run out of solar power...
    Which means the only renewable enegy available to run our interstellar space craft will be human energy. See.

I guess you weren't taking this seriously in which case I suggest this thread be moved to the appropriate forum. The other option is you really haven't spent time thinking about this, or you really don't understand the subject matter and there is little hope that you will be capable of doing so by the time we lose interest in responding.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Really?

Look, I agree it's not yet commercially available, but they (SunPower) have a full scale cell working at 24.2% efficiency.
    I'm pretty sure you said commercial cells are doing in the low 20s in the post where you tried to make it look like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Not true! Unit costs for solar cells have been steadily decreasing, and efficiency has been increasing. Commercial cells are getting into the lower 20s (in % energy conversion)...
    Why yes you did say that. And you were wrong. The best panels on the market right now are only 14.7% efficient.

And don't believe for one minute that those 20+ efficiency cells will be competatively manufacturable in the next 10 years. These companies (including the one I work for) use outlandish predictions on a regular basis to attract investments. Hell, we have a thin film cell that tops 20% but manufacturing them costs too much. For solar photovoltaics to compete with other commercial sources of energy the cost must get below $1/watt installed. Installed you see. With the distribution network already in place.
    Last edited by Being; 10-06-2010 at 11:56 PM.

I guess you weren't taking this seriously in which case I suggest this thread be moved to the appropriate forum. The other option is you really haven't spent time thinking about this, or you really don't understand the subject matter and there is little hope that you will be capable of doing so by the time we lose interest in responding.
    And you haven't ventured a guess as to how human beings will continue to be productive when the computer and its robots do everything we used to do. I'm quite serious. I have found a way to keep the human race viable and provide renewable energy even when all other sources are gone.

Which means the only renewable enegy available to run our interstellar space craft will be human energy. See.
    Except we require food, and the food chain is built on solar energy as well.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Except we require food, and the food chain is built on solar energy as well.
    Ooops. We better start stockpiling now. We might need a bigger spacecraft too.
    Or we can use the human energy to generate solar energy for food production. You know, grow-lamps.

I think of this daily when I throw tin/alumin(i)um foil away, or plastic wrap. It should be easier to recycle this at home. We're essentially throwing away what people in the future are going to pay horrific sums of money, time, and machinery for to get at and use.
    More so than the cost and effort of finding and mining and processing the ore today? Seems to me the landfills will be relatively easy to mine.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    That's not nearly as bad as all that oil we're burning instead of converting into plastic; at least the stuff you throw away will be there when it's needed. Nature likes cyclical processes.

Oh, sure, I won't try and crunch numbers but my gut says you're right, but that way there won't be countless slaves toiling away in abject misery, where's the fun in that?
    #1. We're not going to be hurting for plastic. There's plenty of ways, with a little organic chemistry, to get useful materials from any number of plants.

#2. Unless we make a grave design error, the worst the machines will do is fear us (and act to preserve themselves by exterminating us). More likely we'll suffer from sudden and total indifference when we've grown all too dependent upon them.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    I'm speechless. We have a few billion years of solar before it is gone. It's the biggest fusion plant in the solar system, and nobody needs to worry about safety issues.
    Not to mention 'weather' is more or less entirely driven by the sun, so ...
    The Rules

So you agree then, solar energy is not renewable. I mean we have 100 years or so of fossil fuel before it's gone. If that amount of time is insufficient to call it renewable then why isn't a few billion years?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    #2. Unless we make a grave design error, the worst the machines will do is fear us (and act to preserve themselves by exterminating us). More likely we'll suffer from sudden and total indifference when we've grown all too dependent upon them.
    , there are numerous design errors that can turn out "gravely" for us. You're anthropomorphizing machines. They don't need to "care" or even realize that they're exterminating us.

More so than the cost and effort of finding and mining and processing the ore today? Seems to me the landfills will be relatively easy to mine.
    If we're mining landfills for tin or alumin(i)um, we've either become very environmentally conscious or desperate. One of those (hint: desperate) would indicate that what we're mining is either in very high demand, or has become very rare, and thus would fetch a high price for its sale. Somebody is going to own the dump its in. Somebody with extraction equipment will have to pay for it.
    . . .

Ummm, the robots (machines if you will) will be controlled by the computer. The computer will be controlled (or at least given instructions) by its owners (shareholders and board of directors most likely).

Ummm, the robots (machines if you will) will be controlled by the computer. The computer will be controlled (or at least given instructions) by its owners (shareholders and board of directors most likely).
    People acting solely in the best interest of shareholders tend to turn a company into a sociopathic entity that values profit gains more than human life, why would a machine behave differently?
    . . .

I'm pretty sure you said commercial cells are doing in the low 20s in the post where you tried to make it look like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Why yes you did say that. And you were wrong. The best panels on the market right now are only 14.7% efficient.

And don't believe for one minute that those 20+ efficiency cells will be competatively manufacturable in the next 10 years. These companies (including the one I work for) use outlandish predictions on a regular basis to attract investments. Hell, we have a thin film cell that tops 20% but manufacturing them costs too much. For solar photovoltaics to compete with other commercial sources of energy the cost must get below $1/watt installed. Installed you see. With the distribution network already in place.
    Whatever, this is stupid. I said 'getting into the low 20s', which they are - a commercial company has demonstrated a full-size solar cell that boasts 24% efficiency. I contrast that in my mind with fundamental research, which can routinely get much higher but hasn't been commercialized yet.

Regardless, my point still stands. Efficiency is getting better, but more importantly costs are dropping. While it might be unfeasible economically to sell 20-some% efficiency solar cells today, I have no doubt that it will get cheap enough to do so in the future. Similarly, the cost of the same efficiency solar cell today is a lot lower than 20 years ago.

Ooops. We better start stockpiling now. We might need a bigger spacecraft too.
    Or we can use the human energy to generate solar energy for food production. You know, grow-lamps.
    I can only assume you're joking.

Whatever, this is stupid.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Whatever, this is stupid.
    Yes, it is stupid. Because you didn't do your research before spouting off.

As much as I agree with the sentiment. didn't we agree that emoticon-only responses were inappropriate in D&D?
    Yes, it is stupid. Because you didn't do your research before spouting off.
    You should probably watch who you insult.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    As much as I agree with the sentiment. didn't we agree that emoticon-only responses were inappropriate in D&D?

Uh, that wasn't an insult. It was a statement of fact. Wiggin tried making himself look good by refuting what I knew to be true.

I disagree with your characterization of events, but let's move on, shall we? Much as I appreciate your ardency and lolli's kindness, let's stick to the thread topic.

I'll post a bigger picture next time
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

, there are numerous design errors that can turn out "gravely" for us. You're anthropomorphizing machines. They don't need to "care" or even realize that they're exterminating us.
    That's what I mean by indifference!

If we're mining landfills for tin or alumin(i)um, we've either become very environmentally conscious or desperate. One of those (hint: desperate) would indicate that what we're mining is either in very high demand, or has become very rare, and thus would fetch a high price for its sale. Somebody is going to own the dump its in. Somebody with extraction equipment will have to pay for it.
    All that has to happen is for the cost of getting metal from the landfill to be cheaper than getting it from whatever remote mining nightmare we get it from now. Anyway, I misinterpreted your post to mean digging through the landfill would be costly, not the fact that we're desperate. If it got to that point, we'd just need to get a medium sized nickel-iron asteroid and tow it to orbit. That would provide more metal than has ever been mined on Earth. No worries!
    The Rules

This thread is inappropriate in D&D.
    The Rules

If it got to that point, we'd just need to get a medium sized nickel-iron asteroid and tow it to orbit. That would provide more metal than has ever been mined on Earth. No worries!
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it'll be worlds cheaper (heh, get it) to let some third-world residents mine landfills than it would be to develop, test and fine-tune the tech needed to tow a fraking asteroid into a stable and reachable orbit.

Human generated electricity is the industry that will provide a source of energy that is truly renewable, consistent, and will have the capacity to meet all of our needs. So step on the humanmill and help push civilization toward the success we all dreamed possible. Tread to a world of pollution free energy and reap the rewards of financial independence and longevity. Exercise your right to work. Work while you exercise, together side-by-side with family and friends. Bring your pets. Everyone is invited. Everyone is welcome. The more the merrier.
    Wouldn't people get, y'know, frightfully bored jogging along, endlessly, hour after hour, day after day, on some leccy-generating-treadmill, or equivalent dynamo-muscular arrangement. Really would give new meaning to the phrase; the daily grind.

What does one work toward? Promotion? What would you get, a bigger treadmill?

~

I think by the time our technology reaches the point you are discussing here, our energy supply will be both limitless and endless.

All we need to do then is pleasure our hedonistic selves, and have our every whim and desire met by your robotic slaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it'll be worlds cheaper (heh, get it) to let some third-world residents mine landfills than it would be to develop, test and fine-tune the tech needed to tow a fraking asteroid into a stable and reachable orbit.
    Might be easier to tap the core -- at least it was in MOO2. Do that would give us a mineral and an energy source, btw. But I think you over-estimate the difficulty and cost of bringing an asteroid home. Sooner or later we have to get our mineral resources and energy off-world and the spin-off benefits will be gigantic.

Note - we could cut costs by skipping, or at least abbreviating greatly, the testing phase. What could go wrong anyway?
    The Rules

What indeed.