Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Post your feature/change requests here -- let's consolidate it!

Which browser do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm not personally seeing it (as I use the white background, black text theme) but it seems that when I'm copying/pasting quotes from other sites like the BBC etc then the text is being copied in black format. Messing up how other people are seeing it.

Any way of disabling this copying/pasting of font as well as text? I'm guessing its a recent update that's caused this as it's not come up as an issue before.
    In addition to the remove formatting, there is an option in my post editor to paste material as plaintext. Which editor mode do you use, the WYSIWYG?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

YMMV?
    Your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Which browser do you use?
    I've just switched from Firefox to Google Chrome. Not sure how long the paste problems have been happening but it might coincide - Fuzzy, you were one to point it out I believe? I'm guessing its not been a common thing before now?

Yes using WYSIWYG quick reply 99% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I've just switched from Firefox to Google Chrome. Not sure how long the paste problems have been happening but it might coincide - Fuzzy, you were one to point it out I believe? I'm guessing its not been a common thing before now?
    Did not notice it happening more than two weeks ago. But I was noticing it before I felt urged to ask you to stop so I might well have noticed it before and just put it out of my mind until it became a recurring problem.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

How come we got rid of the post preview on the main page? I liked it

If its not coming back, can we redo the news links? That column it uses just seems so bare now.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

How come we got rid of the post preview on the main page? I liked it

If its not coming back, can we redo the news links? That column it uses just seems so bare now.

I think it was just removed as a way to counter the database errors that were occurring. Wraith can correct me if I'm wrong, but it'll probably return in the future once thats sorted out.
    . . .

Illusions is correct. I liked it too, so I'll put it back if I can once I get some actual time to look into things. Eventually.

Wraith I'm guessing its linked to Google Chrome since you asked about browser and it seems to be just since then, but just copied and pasted a quote from somebodies post earlier in the thread (rather than another site) into the quick reply box and the same thing happened again. Font getting copied with text.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't think anyone deliberately copies fonts so can the feature get changed to pasting simply results in text as default?

Does anyone else use Chrome? Anyone else had similar things or have a browser-side fix (aside from not hitting Ctrl+V to paste as I've been doing that for 20 years and won't remember to hit a button etc, especially since the text just looks normal to me).
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I use chrome at home on my netbook and notebook. I don't have the coloring issue like you do, but my account is also set to use the Standard Editor by default.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

In the WYSIWYG editor with the classic theme, when clicking the Paste as plain text button, the dialog box's text is black. Just noticed that.

In the mobile theme, the drop down style changing menu is broken, it doesn't list any styles. Both in Chrome and on my phone. I wouldn't mind, except when I logged in on a work PC it automatically switched to the mobile theme (I guess because I last accessed the forums from my phone) and I couldn't change to any other style without logging out first.

BTW, a while back the mobile theme was broken but it works now, except for the style change menu it seems.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'll see if I can find time to look into it a little later. See if you can annoy Illusions into doing something sooner - he needs to earn his pay. (...which is 0)

We seem to have picked up an extra mobile theme at some point. It must've been there for months now, and I only just noticed it...

Is this the Mobile or the TWF Mobile theme? I personally find the TWF Mobile theme the only usable mobile theme. I would argue we could deprecate the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Is this the Mobile or the TWF Mobile theme? I personally find the TWF Mobile theme the only usable mobile theme. I would argue we could deprecate the other one.
    Agreed there.

No need to hurry, it's not exactly a big issue
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'll see if I can find time to look into it a little later. See if you can annoy Illusions into doing something sooner - he needs to earn his pay. (...which is 0)

We seem to have picked up an extra mobile theme at some point. It must've been there for months now, and I only just noticed it...
    IMHO the main problem I have with working on the Mobile Theme, aside from the not getting to work on the updates to the Classic Blue theme, are that I own neither a smart phone, tablet, or iTouch with associated data plan to emulate what its like browsing on said devices, or be able to test any changes I'd make.
    . . .

Just resize your browser window?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Just resize your browser window?
    There are also no touch screen capabilities on my home computer, it is significantly faster than a mobile phone, and isn't connecting via 3G/4G for its internet connection.
    . . .

I just use the same theme whether on iPhone, iPad or PC. I thought the whole point of smartphones is they can handle the Internet. I hate websites that try to dumb down because I'm on my phone (just don't use Flash), the default theme renders fine for me.

I just use the same theme whether on iPhone, iPad or PC. I thought the whole point of smartphones is they can handle the Internet. I hate websites that try to dumb down because I'm on my phone (just don't use Flash), the default theme renders fine for me.
    What I'm mainly worried about is:

GUI - Are things big enough, and work with finger based interaction instead of mouse based.
    Data - Data plans here in the US are pretty shit, even with "Unlimited" plans there are caps.
    Download Speeds - Vary by carrier and location. How much data being sent, is too much data being sent.

However you say the default theme renders fine for you. How is interacting with it? It must not be great for everyone, for whatever reasons, otherwise there wouldn't be a request for a Mobile Theme.
    . . .

The forum theme is already pretty light on bandwidth, as it is almost all css with only a few, small images. TWF is one of the few sites i have no problem viewing with even the smallest amount of bars.

I wouldn't find the default theme usable without Opera Mini's single column mode, though, because it is too wide.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I wouldn't find the default theme usable without Opera Mini's single column mode, though, because it is too wide.
    If its possible, could you upload a screenshot of the site without Opera Mini and one with Opera mini from your phone so I can take a look/compare?
    . . .

It's a pain getting screenshots off Android. You could try this for now: http://www.opera.com/developer/tools/mini/. And similar tools for other platforms.

You'll note the way that, by default, it will zoom out the entire page to display it all at once and let you zoom in on bits (this is common to most mobile browsers, not just opera mini). Basically, they assume a site has been designed to be looked at on a desktop, as most have, so it will pretend to be a desktop browser window around 900px wide but then zoom everything out so it fits on the device's actual screen. The user can then zoom in on the bits they want to look at. This is ok, but it means a lot of h-scrolling trying to read posts.

Opera mini has a 'single column view' that basically stacks everything on top of everything else and it works pretty well on this site but for most browsers, the above is the only way they'll behave.

You should able to prevent this behavior by adding <meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1.0, width=device-width, height=device-height, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" /> to the header. That way, it'll act exactly like a desktop browser with a small window.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Might be peculiar to me, but the AutoSave feature seems to be fritzy. Sometimes I can start a reply, get distracted and leave it for a while, but it's still there when I return. Other times I can be in the middle of typing a long-ish reply and it just vanishes, sending me right back to main page.

It's on a timer. You'l see a "auto-saved" notice pop up in the lower right when it's saved. If you go through typing something and don't see it, it's not saved. The save functionality isn't meant to be relied on as a normal method of doing things, it's there as a way to help in case something bad happens, and it shouldn't be relied upon.
    Last edited by Wraith; 05-07-2012 at 02:28 AM.

When you do a search and enter one of the threads returned by the search, any use of the search term within the thread is highlighted. This is a good feature, an excellent feature. In the Darkvision theme, however, the text-background color used to do the highlighting is not very different from the normal background of the theme. This is not good, not excellent at all. I only notice the color change if I've already picked out the word used in the search term and examine the background around it closely. Could the color used for the highlighting be adjusted?

How is it now?
    Very clear now. Thank you.

Wraithy dahling.

Could we have an extension to the time-limit on being able to edit threads?

The census thread I'm continuing to edit to keep track of members, who seem to be coming out of the woodwork to say hello, and it now seems like I've gone past that time-limit ...

It was 21 days, I've increased it to 45.