Thread: Offline for another 3 weeks

Default Offline for another 3 weeks

Major problems trying to get a phone line installed for the Internet. Good news, got a date now (again). Bad news is it's another 3 weeks.

After all the messing around Sky have done in this process OTOH I'm now up to getting £250 refunded onto my account so it's not all bad. Funny how things can move when the incompetent helper-monkey in whatever department of the call centre you're on to passes you on to the only department that has a clue: Cancellations.

Ugh, how terrible. Hasn't it already been a couple of weeks?

I hope you told them that if they had a cancellation they should call to see if you're available. Maybe that way they could screw someone else over and you could benefit.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Phone line? As in for DSL?

ugh, figured a place with your type of density would be wired better.

It took 3 weeks for me to get my new service, OG. I just called well before moving day to get it done (okay, to be fair, I thought I'd be without for a week, but wound up moving later).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

oh i know new installs are a bitch outside of promotion runs. I was focusing on the phoneline part. Which means DSL, which means not cable, and not fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Phone line? As in for DSL?

ugh, figured a place with your type of density would be wired better.
    The UK has awful Internet
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    oh i know new installs are a bitch outside of promotion runs. I was focusing on the phoneline part. Which means DSL, which means not cable, and not fiber.
    Yes I will have DSL. Its a new build house which means any Cable or Fibre rolled out to the area was not rolled out to our house/street which didn't even exist until 2 weeks ago. I could possibly call Virgin (cable company) and see if they'd install it but I'm happy to stick with DSL. Will be getting 20MB DSL when its installed, that's good enough for me and the package I'll get with Sky suits us.

The are rolling out cable in Amsterdam now, once that's done I'll reconsider my present arrangement. I'll probably get a full service package then from one provider or another. The annoying thing is that they are working form the suburbs into the city center. Guess where I am living.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The UK has awful Internet
    Amen to that. The infrastructure is beyond a joke .

The house i'm trying to buy is currently 3 miles down the road from my apartment (I currently get 3mbit). The area can only get a 1.5mbit connection at best and has been known to be 0.5mbit the majority of times. Considering the houses are new, you'd think a new exchange would be put in to help service the area but no.

-edit-

Just went onto the BT website, seems like my 1.5MB was to generous. In fact it's more like 1.0MB!

Huh ? I though I was being ridiculously low with my 8Mb down. Cable at present offers 20 to 120.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes I will have DSL. Its a new build house which means any Cable or Fibre rolled out to the area was not rolled out to our house/street which didn't even exist until 2 weeks ago. I could possibly call Virgin (cable company) and see if they'd install it but I'm happy to stick with DSL. Will be getting 20MB DSL when its installed, that's good enough for me and the package I'll get with Sky suits us.
    It always seems crazy to me that they don't routinely lay cable in new estates.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    It always seems crazy to me that they don't routinely lay cable in new estates.
    When would they?

My estate is still a construction site, has been for years, will be for yet more years. Gas and electricity etc are hooked up essentially one house at a time. My house was just built, the ones behind it will be in a few months, ones in front of it will be next year or the year after, the ones far to the left were in the first tranche 2-3 years ago. The finishing touches for ours were done the day before we moved in. Even my next door neighbours on both sides aren't finished yet (we were first on this block to purchase so our house was prioritised for completion ahead of schedule).

The whole development is taking about 5 years to develop and the houses are moved into as soon as they're completed/sold - at what stage would cable be laid? Once completed and you're talking about laying it 5 years after completion of the first home. Once the first is done? Then you're talking 5 years before future ones are done ... and the cable will inevitably be destroyed in the building site by the JCB diggers etc.

No doubt cable will be laid eventually, but I didn't want to wait/chase it up.

3 weeks, hah! Still offline, allegedly we're back on Friday. Believe it when I see it.

You look suspiciously online to my untrained eye
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Monday is the one day a week I work in my office. Wouldn't normally come onto here at work but you know, withdrawal symptoms and all that