3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeeees

3 100.00%
  • Noooo

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate the scamming

Default Rate the scamming

So I'm selling my old 2008 MacBook Pro on Craigslist. Re-formatted and re-installed the OS from scratch and it works like new. Has virtually no visible wear in the first place.

It's a 15in MacBook pro, I'm asking $750 (with the understanding that I'll probably get negotiated down a bit, I'm willing to settle for $700).

I'm 90% sure this response is a scammer. Presumably the PayPal account bounces after shipment or something?

Quote Originally Posted by allensing11@gmail.com
    Hello,

I'm interested in your item on craigslist (i want to know if its still available for sale). Could you e-mail me the status?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnt
    Hi Allen:

My name is Dreadnaught, nice to hear from you. The laptop is still for sale — let me know if you have any questions or would like to arrange to try it out.

Thanks!

-Dreadnaught
    Quote Originally Posted by allensing07@gmail.com
    Thanks for the response. I am interested in buying the merchandise.
    For the payment, I would prefer to pay with PayPal as i always feel
    comfortable and secured with PayPal for online transactions. It would
    be very helpful if you could overnight it to my residence in Morrow,
    GA . I can add $100 to the price due to the cost of the overnight
    shipment. Let me know if this works for you. If you're ready to go
    ahead, let me know where I should send the PayPal payment so we can
    proceed.

Sent from my mobile device

Amazing, another inquiry asking about "the merchandise". That just screams scammer to me.

Yeah, the word "merchandise" stands out.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Maybe insist he pays first, then you send him the "merchandise."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Well, he wants to pay on PayPal. Which frankly I don't trust. Who the hell buys a $750 MacBook sight unseen and has it sent down to Georgia? And asks no questions about it?

I'd rather deal with someone I meet in person, tries it out and pays in cash.

PS- Anyone looking for a MacBook Pro with an extra battery and MS Office?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Anyone looking for a MacBook Pro with an extra battery and MS Office?
    I'm pretty sure advertizing is against the rules. Reported.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

"Sent from my mobile device" to cover his strange wording.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I rate it: Nigerian.

My postcount is feeling rather palindromatic today.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

eBay it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Well, he wants to pay on PayPal. Which frankly I don't trust. Who the hell buys a $750 MacBook sight unseen and has it sent down to Georgia? And asks no questions about it?

I'd rather deal with someone I meet in person, tries it out and pays in cash.

PS- Anyone looking for a MacBook Pro with an extra battery and MS Office?
    I'd want it sight unseen and sent down to Georgia, though.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Well, yeah, that does sound fishy. Why would you pay $100 over the asking price for a mac you haven't even seen yet. That sounds outright silly. Also, why would you call it 'the merchandise' if you're a person wanting to buy a mac. I know I'd never put it that way. Also I would definately ask some questions about the machine I would be forking out $850 for.

I only bought something secondhand from somebody online twice; once a book from a woman in Belgium who made a leap of faith sending it to me before I could get the money to her (I'm still grateful because it enabled me to give that book to my sister - who had been looking for it for years - on her birthday), the second was a smartphone that I bought through a forum site I frequent in Holland from another user. I only did that after checking his posting history and feedback about him.
    Congratulations America

$100 over asking price

Scammity-scam scam scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Definitely a scam, but I'm curious as to what the scam actually is. You can't just unpaypal someone, and paypal tends to side more with the sellers than the buyers (since they only make money that way). My guess is that the real target is your paypal account, and if you go forward he'll try to get you into a spoofed paypal site to give away your information.

You should play along a little longer just to indulge my curiosity.

Wouldn't the scam actually be Dread charging so much for a used Macbook?

I think there's a $500 premium for having a fruit on the back of it. The remainder is for the rest of the computer.

Gotcha.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Definitely a scam, but I'm curious as to what the scam actually is. You can't just unpaypal someone, and paypal tends to side more with the sellers than the buyers (since they only make money that way). My guess is that the real target is your paypal account, and if you go forward he'll try to get you into a spoofed paypal site to give away your information.

You should play along a little longer just to indulge my curiosity.
    Actually, the scam would be to tell PayPal "The shipment never arrived". Happens regularly - and no, PayPal doesn't take sides. They shaft either side equally.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Actually, the scam would be to tell PayPal "The shipment never arrived". Happens regularly - and no, PayPal doesn't take sides. They shaft either side equally.
    Yeah, but that's easily defeated, I think. I've never actually done any internet selling, but IIRC PayPal lets the seller enter the shipment tracking information, and then the seller has proof that it did arrive. Toss in a required signature, and the seller is iron-clad. PayPal will just tell the buyer to lodge a complaint with the delivery service instead, and they'll keep their cut of the sale.

I've always used craigslist to avoid dealing with paypal...

Yeah, but that's easily defeated, I think. I've never actually done any internet selling, but IIRC PayPal lets the seller enter the shipment tracking information, and then the seller has proof that it did arrive. Toss in a required signature, and the seller is iron-clad. PayPal will just tell the buyer to lodge a complaint with the delivery service instead, and they'll keep their cut of the sale.
    P-P-P Powerbook
    The buyer claims what arrived was not what was advertised, he ships the item back, but what arrives is a box of bricks, or if you're lucky, a gutted and broken macbook.

Or he pays using a stolen paypal account and or payment credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Wouldn't the scam actually be Dread charging so much for a used Macbook?
    Nah, based on what I can tell from other postings it's pretty much fair value. The thing is in great shape, runs perfectly, has an extra battery and MS office. There is a premium that seems to stay with those machines

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I've always used craigslist to avoid dealing with paypal...

P-P-P Powerbook
    The buyer claims what arrived was not what was advertised, he ships the item back, but what arrives is a box of bricks, or if you're lucky, a gutted and broken macbook.

Or he pays using a stolen paypal account and or payment credit card.
    Interesting ideas...looks like all the good scammers from from Georgia, eh? I sort of want to play along, but I also sort of want to just ignore him or tell him to fuck off. I leave it to the community to suggest an awesome response.

I'm thinking he wouldn't offer more money unless he thought he could get it back though. That plus the overnight delivery makes it sound like he's either really impatient about receiving his Macbook, or he's staked out and chosen a house to have it delivered to, where he knows the owner is away for a while, but not sure exactly how long. As for the requiring signature thing, I'd have to check it out, but a few shipping companies now have options where the receiving party can change how the item is delivered, ie. whether a signature is required, or they drop it off somewhere at the delivery location, leave it with a neighbor, etc.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I'm thinking he wouldn't offer more money unless he thought he could get it back though. That plus the overnight delivery makes it sound like he's either really impatient about receiving his Macbook, or he's staked out and chosen a house to have it delivered to, where he knows the owner is away for a while, but not sure exactly how long. As for the requiring signature thing, I'd have to check it out, but a few shipping companies now have options where the receiving party can change how the item is delivered, ie. whether a signature is required, or they drop it off somewhere at the delivery location, leave it with a neighbor, etc.
    I'm thinking that he has no intention of paying in the first place. That he's really just trying to steal paypal account information.

It could also be a credit card scam. Somebody else is paying, and he's trying to grab the merchandise.

I don't think I've ever heard of these scams where the scammer ever actually pays anything, even if they try to get it back later. It's usually more about creating the appearance of paying something when you never did. To actually pay something and try to get it back later sounds way too risky for these types of people.

I'm thinking that the overnight plays into it though, as if he'll get the product before the transaction fully goes through, thus have his "merchandise" before anyone can realize there was no money in the payment method he was using, or be able to reverse payment and still receive the item before the seller would be able to find out what had happened and re-direct shipment back to themselves. The over-nighting a laptop from NY to GA is what gets me. One or even two day air would still get it to him quickly for much cheaper, and if he were in such a desperate need of this device that he wanted it in less than 24 hours, he likely would not be attempting to purchase it in this manner. He'd also still be as able to steal paypal account information or run a credit card scam in 24 - 48 hours as he would in less than 24.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I'm thinking that the overnight plays into it though, as if he'll get the product before the transaction fully goes through, thus have his "merchandise" before anyone can realize there was no money in the payment method he was using, or be able to reverse payment and still receive the item before the seller would be able to find out what had happened and re-direct shipment back to themselves. The over-nighting a laptop from NY to GA is what gets me. One or even two day air would still get it to him quickly for much cheaper, and if he were in such a desperate need of this device that he wanted it in less than 24 hours, he likely would not be attempting to purchase it in this manner. He'd also still be as able to steal paypal account information or run a credit card scam in 24 - 48 hours as he would in less than 24.
    I don't get the overnighting either. I can't see how any of the scams we're coming up with would be thwarted by slower shipment. It might be there just to create a false sense of urgency, hoping to make the guy on the other end rush more and think less.

It's pretty clear he really wants a used Mac... and he really wants to have it shipped overnight. This is completely legit, he refers to the item very specifically as merchandise, which it is. Did he not say true statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dragon View Post
    It's pretty clear he really wants a used Mac... and he really wants to have it shipped overnight. This is completely legit, he refers to the item very specifically as merchandise, which it is. Did he not say true statements?

It's baaaaaack.

Its odd that the reply feels so generic, but Google doesn't return any hits on it.
    Anyone else notice the email addresses changed as well?

EDIT:
    Finally found a hit. http://forum.notebookreview.com/note...ml#post5218037
    My Google-Fu must be a little off today http://mikebrum.com/dont-scam-me-bro/
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.

I don't get the overnighting either. I can't see how any of the scams we're coming up with would be thwarted by slower shipment. It might be there just to create a false sense of urgency, hoping to make the guy on the other end rush more and think less.
    Maybe its especially urgent due to time constraints...
    . . .

I miss that show raged so hard when he finally (possibly) found the right universe, only to get tricked by a recently oiled swinging gate

It went completely shit after season 2, though.

Yes, I remember deciding it was completely unwatchable at some point even though it started out decent.