Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Anyone seen a movie called The Beyond?

I remember being absolutely petrified when I watched it as a kid in the early eighties. Seem to remember it was an apocalyptic zombie movie, where the protagonists were holed up in some building or similar, but were picked away one by one.

Have heard nothing about it since ...
    Netflix has it. 1981. Looks terrible...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    How is it horror? What a bunch of cock-bags
    It's a pretty crap list.
    Whoever made it seemed to have an extremely broad definition of horror.
    I wouldn't call Bioshock horror, and Demon's Souls is pretty standard fantasy hack 'n slash, nothing especially horror about it, beside having "Demon" in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    They've had ones in other movies where the zombies are missing arms, small bites out of the neck, guts protruding, and in the preview for "The Walking Dead" showed a female zombie missing her legs (actually it looks more like most of her lower body*). Naturally you'd never see the zombies that were too extensively eaten as they'd be immobile, or have had their head severed from their body. Zombie natural selection.

*Edit: 4:07 in the youTube Official Trailer. Pretty much all of her lower body is gone, as is most of the skin on her ribcage.
    Yeah, I saw that one. But it's really the exception it seems. I mean, the zombies in the city must have done the same to their victims once they got the numbers. The streets should be full of half-bodies etc. Not with predominantly intact dead people.
    Congratulations America

How many movies have suffered from that when the disease was spread via zombie only? Its usually some sort of world/city wide contamination where everyone got infected at almost the same time.

A few stories, like World War Z take care of the increasing zombie population with human ignornace. Zombies are slow, and the humans confused. 1 zombie bites a few people before getting killed, those people turn and bite a few people, and so on and so on.
    Then you have stories like Fido, Marvel's Super Hero zombies, and Shawn of the Dead. There is a lot of meat on a human, a single arm is enough to satisfy a zombie.

Once the balance tips towards zombies winning...thats when you start seeing the zombie packs attacking, and not seeing newly turned zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    How many movies have suffered from that when the disease was spread via zombie only? Its usually some sort of world/city wide contamination where everyone got infected at almost the same time.

A few stories, like World War Z take care of the increasing zombie population with human ignornace. Zombies are slow, and the humans confused. 1 zombie bites a few people before getting killed, those people turn and bite a few people, and so on and so on.
    Then you have stories like Fido, Marvel's Super Hero zombies, and Shawn of the Dead. There is a lot of meat on a human, a single arm is enough to satisfy a zombie.

Once the balance tips towards zombies winning...thats when you start seeing the zombie packs attacking, and not seeing newly turned zombies.
    I read there's been ongoing talks to make WWZ into a film. Not sure how well that would translate. Personally I think Brooks could have written a better book.... I like what he did with N. Korea though.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

There will be a movie, but not true to the book. It will be an adaptation that takes place during the events the book writes about. So the movie happens before the interviews that the book is based around. If they do it right, it could fucking amazing.

Its also staring Brad Pitt.

EDIT:
    Reading up on it some more, the last leaked draft set it as a Children of Men type movie that followed a reporter around, so maybe its gone back to its book roots, but there are also reports that the screenplay has been rewritten since that leak.

I'm still excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    There will be a movie, but not true to the book. It will be an adaptation that takes place during the events the book writes about. So the movie happens before the interviews that the book is based around. If they do it right, it could fucking amazing.

Its also staring Brad Pitt.

EDIT:
    Reading up on it some more, the last leaked draft set it as a Children of Men type movie that followed a reporter around, so maybe its gone back to its book roots, but there are also reports that the screenplay has been rewritten since that leak.

I'm still excited about it.
    Brad Pitt? Huh. I'd like to see them follow the war from the first outbreaks to the Panic to the retaking of America. . . . That could be really cool if they did it right.
    The Rules

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Just a quick question for the people who've seen this.

All the banner ads I've been seeing for this show the dude riding a horse down the interstate into Atlanta.
    Does that really happen, or what?
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Just a quick question for the people who've seen this.

All the banner ads I've been seeing for this show the dude riding a horse down the interstate into Atlanta.
    Does that really happen, or what?
    Yes.
    Congratulations America

Yeah, I think so. No gas after the world ends.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I think I saw that too. I used to catch all the old horror / scifi movines on Saturday afternoon. I need to look up some of those old Vincent Price movies...
    Yes. I have a spider phobia, and the end of the original "The Fly" gave me nightmares for weeks. Being trapped in a web as a spider approaches to eat me? Brrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Yes. I have a spider phobia, and the end of the original "The Fly" gave me nightmares for weeks. Being trapped in a web as a spider approaches to eat me? Brrrr.
    LOL that was a riot. For some reason, as the fly-man degenerated mentally and had to write in bigger and bigger letters on the chalk board to his wife (that was his wife, right? Not a maid?) I got totally creeped out.
    The Rules

You remember it better than I. Only that last scene remains. From Saturday afternoons.

You remember it better than I. Only that last scene remains. From Saturday afternoons.
    What about when he has the girl crush him in the press? You have to remember that. I don't know why the big writing sticks with me so much - it must be a neurotic thing because it's not scary by itself. I remember the slurping when he ate with the towel over his head too.
    The Rules

I don't know why the big writing sticks with me so much - it must be a neurotic thing because it's not scary by itself.
    If we ever have an argument, I'll have to remember to increase the font size slowly, post by post.

We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Youw and your cats.
    The Rules

Review from NPR's Fresh Air. I'm more excited than ever now!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130885260

Enlarge AMC From left to right: Humans Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus), T-Dog (Robert Singleton), Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and Glenn (Steven Yeun) must battle the undead in an apocalyptic future world where zombies roam the Earth.

October 29, 2010

I remember when Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiered on The WB, and I had to almost beg people not to dismiss it out of hand. The more I described it, the less worthwhile it sounded: "There's this cute high-school girl, and she learns her destiny is to save the world from vampires and other evil demons. It's a vampire show, but not just a vampire show."

So here I am again — this time not with vampires, but with zombies.

The Walking Dead, which premieres Halloween night, is the newest series from the AMC network, which so far has given us Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Rubicon. This new show comes with its own high pedigree: The premiere is written, directed and executive produced by Frank Darabont, of The Shawshank Redemption. Another executive producer is Gale Anne Hurd, whose production credits include The Terminator and Aliens. So she knows a lot about presenting tense, action-packed stories about relentless, seemingly unstoppable killers. And The Walking Dead is based on a long-running series of popular comics by Robert Kirkman. Of course now that I've mentioned zombies and comics, I realize I'm digging my own grave here.
    Except in a zombie drama, there are no graves, just dead bodies. Dead bodies with bullets in their heads, or no heads at all. And undead ones — along with the few remaining living people, who have to avoid the walking dead and eventually destroy them.
    Enlarge AMC A zombie epidemic has taken over the world in AMC's The Walking Dead.

AMC A zombie epidemic has taken over the world in AMC's The Walking Dead.

Related NPR Stories

Three Books...

Three Books To Help You Enjoy The Apocalypse

University Offers Zombies 101 Sept. 8, 2010

Zombies: Still Undead, And Suddenly Everywhere July 1, 2009

With sexy vampires all over TV and the movies, zombies are a tougher sell. This new television series makes it work by heightening the realism. There's no creepy horror music upping the emotional ante here. For the most part, there's no music at all, just a quiet, eerie, frightening silence, as we follow one of the few remaining humans as he literally awakens to this scary new world.

Andrew Lincoln stars as Rick Grimes, a deputy sheriff from Kentucky who's been shot in the line of duty. He falls into a coma, and when he wakes up in the hospital weeks later — his body emaciated and with a noticeable growth of beard — things aren't at all how they should be. There are no nurses to answer his calls for help. The clock in the room has stopped. The hospital is deserted and the hallways are messy. He comes across a body with much of its flesh ripped off like a side of beef. And then he sees the padlocked doors with the spray-painted warning, "Don't open. Dead inside"
    And we keep following Rick, as he makes his way through the hospital, outside, and back to his home — where his wife and child apparently have packed some things and fled. It's at that point, still very early in this 90-minute pilot, that Rick encounters the first other human survivors — a man and his son who have taken to hiding in a nearby house. When they ascertain that Rick is human, they bring him inside, where the father fills him in on what has happened.

A lot of what makes The Walking Dead so striking a series is how visual it is. It's beautiful and foreboding all at once, with lots of scares too potent to spoil. And whether it's finding terror in the open daylight of a family farm or the familiar setting of a city street, this TV show finds lots of ways to give you the creeps.

The special effects are convincing. The violence, rather than being cartoonishly overdone as in the Spartacus series, is powerful, credible, and often shockingly forceful. (This is not a series for young children.)

But because the characters are invested with such emotion, and the story unspools so empathetically, The Walking Dead is much, much better, and more truly dramatic, than you might expect. You watch this, and there are times when you think, "What would I do if this were happening to me?"
    My answer, way too often, is: I'd die. Your results may vary.

David Bianculli is founder and editor of TVWorthWatching.com and teaches TV and film history at Rowan University in New Jersey.
    The Rules

Hmm, wonder if the author had the same difficulty with cylons in BSG. Because for those of us old enough to remember, cylons were the (mostly) laughable robots from the original, one step above "Lost in Space."

PS Why does the black guy have to have a nickname like T-dog? Hackneyed.

Hmm, wonder if the author had the same difficulty with cylons in BSG. Because for those of us old enough to remember, cylons were the (mostly) laughable robots from the original, one step above "Lost in Space."

PS Why does the black guy have to have a nickname like T-dog? Hackneyed.
    The BSG was a SciFi channel program. It was going to have an audience no matter what and fact that it turned out so awesome and got critical recognition was beside the point, I think. This show's on AMC, currently known for some excellant dramas, not for moster-of-the-week movies and space operas. It's a pretty big leap to do a weekly zombie apocalypse drama. Daring.

And T-Dog's one of those "rap guys." Clearly. Did you get a good look at him or not? (should have dressed him in those baggy pants. . . . )
    The Rules

The BSG was a SciFi channel program. It was going to have an audience no matter what and fact that it turned out so awesome and got critical recognition was beside the point, I think.
    I'd argue that BSG succeeded in spite of its venue, not because of it. "SyFy" is a spectacularly bad channel, for the most part, especially anything they make for themselves.

This show's on AMC, currently known for some excellant dramas, not for moster-of-the-week movies and space operas. It's a pretty big leap to do a weekly zombie apocalypse drama. Daring.
    Wasn't Buffy on Fox? Then again, Firefly was on Fox, and failed. Probably would have succeeded on SciFi.

And T-Dog's one of those "rap guys." Clearly. Did you get a good look at him or not? (should have dressed him in those baggy pants. . . . )
    Fo sho. I bet he speaks ebonics as well.

RE SciFi, I meant to say what you said, but with different words. Also, you calling out that rap guy stereotype has tainted my pure joy of anticipation. They better do him right or I'm going to be irritated.
    The Rules

Review:

It was cool - I'm into it. I liked the realism of firing off his pistol inside the tank. Poor horse.... Nice hook at the end.

Anyone else watch it last night.
    The Rules

No, it was just you. You should be ashamed.

Review:

It was cool - I'm into it. I liked the realism of firing off his pistol inside the tank. Poor horse.... Nice hook at the end.

Anyone else watch it last night.
    Wife won't do horror (probably a good reflection on her), so won't be watching real time. Besides, I hate getting into series. If I watch it, I'll watch it after the fact on my time. I hate being a show slave. Just a personal pet peeve not a judgment. I do it for book series as well, made an exception for George RR Martin, and look where that bum left me.

I DVR'd it but only watched it 20 min delayed. This was the premier episode and very anticipated - by me - so I watched it the night of. Probably I'll watch it at my leisure thereafter. It was good, though - the Father/Son who're hiding out in a house and their mom got bit and is now wandering around outside and dad can't bring himself to shoot her . . . .
    The Rules

Bah. Anybody who's ever had to kill an injured animal knows it's a mercy and to just suck it up and do it. If it were my wife, I'd kill zombified her right away and then weep like a little boy afterward.

I watched it. Yeah, poor horse. And that thing dragging her half carcass in the park. And the zombie mom!

Are the woman and her son, in the tents with the other sheriff partner, the wife (Laurie) and son (Carl) of the main character (sheriff on the horse)? I didn't catch the sheriff dudes names....

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I watched it. Yeah, poor horse. And that thing dragging her half carcass in the park. And the zombie mom!

Are the woman and her son, in the tents with the other sheriff partner, the wife (Laurie) and son (Carl) of the main character (sheriff on the horse)? I didn't catch the sheriff dudes names....
    Yeah, that's his wife now smooching his former partner. To be fair, they probably assume he's dead. But still . . . there's going to be drama all over that later on...

I thought it was nice he tracked down the carcass woman and put it down. Should be a good series if this is any indication of the rest.
    The Rules

The Walking Dead - Zombie Attributes

So to break down the Zombies of The Walking Dead, their attributes appear to be as follows:

Mobility - Starts at below average human and works down from there based on level of decay or physical damage. For instance, they can run, jog, walk, shamble, or crawl, and can navigate in a human like manner. This means that while they can walk around a jumble of cars, try to open doors, or make the connection that they need to crawl under a tank, or on top of it, they won't be running any marathons.

Habits - As if you took a human and put them on autopilot, and only interrupted this with an immediate and indelible desire for warm flesh. If you sat idle on a bus waiting to go to work before you turned, thats what you will do afterward. You'll try to go home, pick up your toys, go on patrols, whatever you did before you'll do after. Except without much thought, and punctuated with chasing people or animals down and brutally eating them alive.

Respond to noise with curiosity, and live prey with pursuit (if possible). Apparently will stop giving chase, or attempting to get at prey after a certain amount of time.

Brainz! - Eats any warm flesh, regardless of species, or organ, not just brains.

To Kill Them - Severe cranial trauma. They'll keep chasing you so long as they have a head and a method of locomotion.

Intelligence - Semi intelligent, but dependent upon your level of intelligence before death. They appear to analyze situations and attempt effective solutions, however if you were a particularly braindead individual before turning, you'll do things like continuously walking into a mesh fence even though it impedes your progress.
    . . .