Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Operation Enduring Freedom

A lot of rhetoric without saying anything. Not exactly unexpected. As if being more successful at Tora Bora would somehow preclude the Taliban resurgence we've been seeing.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    You seem to be suggesting in the same post that we've met our strategic goals, but have failed to meet them.
    What? How do you get that? I said Bush the first. *He* met our strategic goals in the first Gulf War.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A lot of rhetoric without saying anything. Not exactly unexpected.
    A Rovian spin doctor criticism without substance. Not exactly unexpected. Maybe we'll talk when you post honestly and stop trolling?

Well then I suppose what's the difference between winning in Afghanistan and accomplishing our strategic goals in Afghanistan?

Well then I suppose what's the difference between winning in Afghanistan and accomplishing our strategic goals in Afghanistan?
    I assuming he means winning implies wiping out the Taliban, and accomplishing strategic goals would be to disrupt terrorists in Afghanistan from attacking US targets outside Afghanistan, and not caring what they do inside Afghanistan. And with his
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

What the heck are the strategic goals anyway?

a. Kill Bin Laden? FAIL and not going to happen. He's in Pakistan anyway (assuming he's not dead, which I suspect he is)

b. Build a Western Style Democracy? Not going to happen in our life times unless we use genocide.

c. Install a US friendly government? Might be able to do this but its going to take a LONG time and cost a LOT.

d. Keep terrorist training camps from popping up? What's the point? They can set up in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and probably half a dozen other countries. Not a very useful objective.

Anyone have any other good reasons why we're in Afghanistan still?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

A) Oil.
    B) To avenge the embarassment of Obama's father.
    C) WMD.

D) gates of hell.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A) Oil.
    B) To avenge the embarassment of Obama's father.
    C) WMD.

Afghanistan has oil? Obama's father? WMD? Forgive me, but I'm not used to Loki humor...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    D) gates of hell.
    Oh, that's where the gates are. Damn.

E) Stop opium production --- this is an ironic one because:

A. its never going to happen and

B. one of the crazy things the Taliban government had done was outlaw opium production - it dropped to practically nothing the year before we invaded . . . damn
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I assuming he means winning implies wiping out the Taliban, and accomplishing strategic goals would be to disrupt terrorists in Afghanistan from attacking US targets outside Afghanistan, and not caring what they do inside Afghanistan.
    Yup. Going for the win is, frankly, fairly stupid, and Obama was a fool to go for it. The strategic goals of disrupting the Taliban and preventing any al Qaeda camps are quite easy to meet. The Taliban will still be there, but probably couldn't form a government. Do we care otherwise?

And Iraq should have been the same (and in fact WAS the same under Bush I, who nailed it perfectly): prevent them from seriously threatening regional stability, but maintain them as a critical counter-balance to Iran, who was even more dangerous. Actually invading Iraq was one of the more irresponsible actions imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Yup. Going for the win is, frankly, fairly stupid, and Obama was a fool to go for it. The strategic goals of disrupting the Taliban and preventing any al Qaeda camps are quite easy to meet. The Taliban will still be there, but probably couldn't form a government. Do we care otherwise?

And Iraq should have been the same (and in fact WAS the same under Bush I, who nailed it perfectly): prevent them from seriously threatening regional stability, but maintain them as a critical counter-balance to Iran, who was even more dangerous. Actually invading Iraq was one of the more irresponsible actions imaginable.
    If it's so easy, why don't you send your plan to the Pentagon? I'm sure they'd be glad to read it.

My plan won't increase their funding.

Yeah, because the Pentagon prefers blowing money on military operations (and increased disability benefits) to spending it on more "toys".

Ask a smartass, trolling, manipulative question....

Now now, men. Remember this is the new normal, the toned down almost polite normal. Surely you can mock each other and demonstrate the other's faults and errors with less direct and angry terms.
    The Rules