Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America's Worst Politician

Do you not believe corporate welfare programs exist? And the word then has never meant than. What are you, a hillbilly?
    Most "corporate welfare" is tax breaks and/or possible tax incentives that as a whole are less then what the corporation pays in taxes.

A fair tax is a serious option; however, there are some questions about buying goods elsewhere, how that could perhaps get around taxation. Have to keep track of products that you brought from here on a trip and what you're coming back with. It could be quite the money saver to buy all your nice items abroad to avoid taxation. It's interesting... I know economists are looking at it.

I don't agree with a flat tax though, that would be more hurtful than helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Most "corporate welfare" is tax breaks and/or possible tax incentives that as a whole are less then what the corporation pays in taxes.
    Seriously Lewk, if you won't use what you have learned here than I'm putting you on ignore.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    What Loki is correct on is the offsets. Every head of household would get a monthly prebate based upon size of said household to cover the cost of the taxes of the necessities of life. The idea is that there is no federal income tax (thus lowering prices of everything on average of 22% due to the imbeded costs of income tax)...it is replaced by a National Sales Tax of 23%, so a rough wash in prices.
    Yes, But that's on top local sales taxes. Around here that's ~8% meaning that purchases would then be taxed by nearly 1/3. A very rough wash indeed, a soaking is more like it. As far as offsets, if they actually are "offsetting" will only be a further burden when the so-called fair tax proponents ship all the production jobs possible overseas.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Yes, But that's on top local sales taxes. Around here that's ~8% meaning that purchases would then be taxed by nearly 1/3. A very rough wash indeed, a soaking is more like it. As far as offsets, if they actually are "offsetting" will only be a further burden when the so-called fair tax proponents ship all the production jobs possible overseas.
    I don't follow the logic there. The tax burden would remain the same. People would be able to buy as many products as before. Why would having a sales tax instead of an income tax suddenly lead to more jobs shifting overseas? Coincidentally, the whole "our jobs are going overseas" argument is ridiculous. A tiny fraction of the lost jobs have been lost due to "outsourcing", and far more jobs were created as a result of international trade.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Agree with Loki (I think I just threw up in my mouth), as people are already paying that 8%...there is no increase.

Also if there is no income tax..then it will create jobs as it will become quite a bit cheaper to move business here.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

In addition, a large fraction of lost jobs were "artificial" jobs any way, since they were paid for by debt during the madness of the housing bubble. It is that, and not any right/left politics, that has made this a jobless recovery. Job "outsourcing" is a non-factor here.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Job "outsourcing" is a non-factor here.
    PDF warning, You might want to re-think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Did you even read your own source? The two reasons for the decline of US manufacturing mentioned are increasing US productivity and increased foreign competition. It also says all Americans benefited from lower prices. Lower prices means people can buy more goods, which in turn means more jobs for companies that produce those additional goods. Is it really too much to ask people like you to open a freaking economics textbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did you even read your own source? The two reasons for the decline of US manufacturing mentioned are increasing US productivity and increased foreign competition. It also says all Americans benefited from lower prices. Lower prices means people can buy more goods, which in turn means more jobs for companies that produce those additional goods. Is it really too much to ask people like you to open a freaking economics textbook?
    Apparently you don't believe that Levis manufactured in a foreign country is the same as foreign competition with regards to manufacturing jobs.

Apparently you don't believe that Levis manufactured in a foreign country is the same as foreign competition with regards to manufacturing jobs.
    I don't believe you have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

I don't believe you have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.
    Do you consider Levis manufactured in Mexico to be foreign competition?

1) I'm not dling a PDF

2) One company? So. As a country I'd much rather generate expensive medicines and software than plastic doo-dads. Jeans, specially cheap ones like Levis, are basically doo-dads. Manufacturing really isn't an economy driver like it used to be. We do much better by sending that job overseas and having that worker do something more valuable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/op...02tue1.html?hp

If I wouldn't know better, I'd think Tear is writing the editorials for the NY Times.

An editorial entitled "Vote?" Why don't you quote the relevant part, since my last posts were discrediting Being's hysteria, and had nothing to do with voting.

And for the tenth time: if somebody answers me with a link, I ain't reading it. Links ain't arguments, the quotes of passages therein are arguments. In other words, I'll be damned if I do extra work because you are a lazy git.

Eh? I'd have to copy the entire editorial. It's the NY Times. You're not going to get a virus, don't worry...

Quote it. I'm not reading the whole fucking thing to entertain you, especially when its title doesn't support your thesis.

Better spend an hour fighting here than two minutes reading the NY Times I guess.

Yes, because I refuse to play into your wankfest tactics in threads.

2) One company? So. As a country I'd much rather generate expensive medicines and software than plastic doo-dads. Jeans, specially cheap ones like Levis, are basically doo-dads. Manufacturing really isn't an economy driver like it used to be. We do much better by sending that job overseas and having that worker do something more valuable.
    Levi is representative of hundreds of American companies that manufacture abroad.

Levi is representative of hundreds of American companies that manufacture abroad.
    How about the hundreds of foreign companies that hire workers in America?

American workers won't even do those jobs, Being. Get a grip. The "stop exporting jobs!" trope is just something politicians spout in election years to fool the stupid and ignorant into voting for them. It doesn't actually mean anything, and nobody will really implement policies to change how things are.

How about the hundreds of foreign companies that hire workers in America?
    Like Toyota? Those are assembly jobs which are the end point of manufacturing; the tip of the iceberg that light shines on. Where is the steel produced for such assembly operations? Where are the engine blocks cast? Where are the electronics produced? Where are the minerals mined? Just a few questions to put you on track about manufacuring. Most Americans aren't up to creating new snake oil or software for the newest Korean manufactured phones. I guess they will be put in the marketing department.

American workers won't even do those jobs, Being. Get a grip. The "stop exporting jobs!" trope is just something politicians spout in election years to fool the stupid and ignorant into voting for them. It doesn't actually mean anything, and nobody will really implement policies to change how things are.
    Americans will do those jobs if they were available. What you mean is those jobs aren't available to Americans.

Not at those rates. Americans aren't interested in paying 50% more for a pair of Levis. We're a WalMart culture, and more expensive items will fail unless they tap into a boutique niche (very hard to do). You'd do better to blame the American people, who want everything, but want it cheap.

Not at those rates. Americans aren't interested in paying 50% more for a pair of Levis. We're a WalMart culture, and more expensive items will fail unless they tap into a boutique niche (very hard to do). You'd do better to blame the American people, who want everything, but want it cheap.
    Yes I agree, the American people are strangling themselves. The employed have no clue as to why so many don't have jobs. The simple answer is that Americans don't want to employ Americans because it is not in the short term interest. And short term is what Americans are all about.

Yay the worst politician LOSES!