Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taxes....

Than
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Missing my point. Do you pay more in dollars then someone who makes more money but pays a lower percentage?
    I think he got it. He's just making a show of not taking your point seriously.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

No. Does he get more proportionately from society? Yes!

No. Does he get more proportionately from society? Yes!
    I hear this argument a lot in justification for some people paying more then others. How do you propose you quantify something like this?

For example if some poor person who would otherwise die can't afford medical care but society gives it to him, society has given him something of far more proportional value then a boat some rich guy can buy. Ditto for the person who is given food by society who would otherwise starve. How can you argue that someone who is wealthy and would not need a social handout is gaining more by society and progressive taxation then the person who gets more then what they put into the social pot?

Convert it the monetary cost and that's how much society is paying out to that person. So in your case of food, for that particular person, society has just given the cost of food for them. That'll solve your issue... you need to look at it from the perspective of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I hear this argument a lot in justification for some people paying more then others. How do you propose you quantify something like this?

For example if some poor person who would otherwise die can't afford medical care but society gives it to him, society has given him something of far more proportional value then a boat some rich guy can buy. Ditto for the person who is given food by society who would otherwise starve. How can you argue that someone who is wealthy and would not need a social handout is gaining more by society and progressive taxation then the person who gets more then what they put into the social pot?
    Society is more than just handouts. If you own a company, infrastructure enables you to do business. Police preventing crime is worth a lot more to you when you have more money that can be stolen. Courts enforcing contracts are worth more to you when your contracts are, well, worth more. Rich people do get more from society.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Than.

How about we start delineating between federal taxes and state taxes, Charlie?

THAN.

Charlie, the wealthy have a vested interest in keeping the poor somewhat placated. Maybe it's less expensive than building electrified gates with CCTV around their property, hiring private security guards, or bullet-proof cars. To keep the hungry angry mobs at bay ya know.

Speaking of trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Speaking of trolling.
    I'm actually discussing the topic, though. With Billy Bob.

Making a secondary, subtle point about his refusal to use the quote button, showing user names that attribute ideas to the person. Billy Bob says usernames don't matter, so I can call him any name I choose, according to his own rules. I won't use that technique with anyone but Billy Bob. If anything, I'm baiting him, and only him. This has nothing to do with you, Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm actually discussing the topic, though. With Billy Bob.

Making a secondary, subtle point about his refusal to use the quote button, showing user names that attribute ideas to the person. Billy Bob says usernames don't matter, so I can call him any name I choose, according to his own rules. I won't use that technique with anyone but Billy Bob. If anything, I'm baiting him, and only him. This has nothing to do with you, Loki.
    So you admit to trolling...
    Hope is the denial of reality

I admit to baiting Benny on his own idea. Because Benny believes only ideas matter, not names.

Can it be considered trolling to treat him as he treats me, or am I simply using the Golden Rule as he defines it?

I wouldn't go pushing on that particular issue....

How about we start delineating between federal taxes and state taxes, Charlie?
    There are state and federal programs that provide handouts.

Charlie, the wealthy have a vested interest in keeping the poor somewhat placated. Maybe it's less expensive than building electrified gates with CCTV around their property, hiring private security guards, or bullet-proof cars. To keep the hungry angry mobs at bay ya know.
    What makes you think there would be starving mobs? Even in my utopia of limited government you would still have the government making sure people are safe via the police for internal threats and the armed forces for external threats.

Can't have someone criticizing your idol?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

There are state and federal programs that provide handouts.
    Gee, George. Ya think?

What makes you think there would be starving mobs? Even in my utopia of limited government you would still have the government making sure people are safe via the police for internal threats and the armed forces for external threats.
    I said hungry angry mobs. The people that get food aid in public schools, WIC, SNAP (and other programs funded by tax revenue) who'd be hungry if you cut that assistance. How many folks are taking food assistance now....17 million, 1/4 of all children?

Your utopia has police for internal threats. Do you view hunger as an internal threat, too?

No the internal threat would be the hungry mobs.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Yup. Not to put too fine a point on it, we pay for social support networks in part because we want to take those who lost out in the Darwinian capitalist competition an keep them vested in the system. When enough of them perceive there to be greater benefits in working outside of the system compared to staying within, the quality of life for the rest of us will be seriously threatened.