Thread: Anyone in/going to Libya?

Default Anyone in/going to Libya?

I was looking for pictures of gladiators (for something secret which the whole world will soon know about ), and stumbled upon something called the "Zliten mosaic"... all the pictures are relatively low resolution. I got it in my head to go to Libya, take high-res pictures, and finally trace over each tile in Inkscape to create a super-awesome SVG of the mosaic... and then release it into the public domain.

Unfortunately, I don't do well in hot climates...

Maybe someone who does, and lives in/is going to Libya, could take a few high-res photos and post them on Wikipedia?

Nah, my nationality is not liked there
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Find the coolest part of year and go! Live, man, live!

PS I'm sure you could find some source with high res pictures. Google isn't the only source on earth. There are actually these things called libraries, and they have objects called books that can contain pictures of astonishingly high resolution! With some research, you may actually find an edition with pictures that are no longer under copyright. I'd try university libraries.

I dunno. Maybe. Ugh, libraries.

2D photos of old mosaics aren't under copyright in any case in the US, even if they are high-res, because of Bridgeman.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    I was looking for pictures of gladiators (for something secret which the whole world will soon know about ), and stumbled upon something called the "Zliten mosaic"... all the pictures are relatively low resolution. I got it in my head to go to Libya, take high-res pictures, and finally trace over each tile in Inkscape to create a super-awesome SVG of the mosaic... and then release it into the public domain.

Unfortunately, I don't do well in hot climates...

Maybe someone who does, and lives in/is going to Libya, could take a few high-res photos and post them on Wikipedia?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Can Americans visit Libya these days? I remember a tv show where one of the crew couldn't get into Libya due his American nationality (not long ago).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Don't a lot of places like this restirct flash photography of older ruins? Claiming that the flash slowly eats away the color. I've seen on the few times I've traveled around, but they always seem to have their own overpriced photos for sale.

Yeah, usually it's a load of baloney. The overpriced photos stuff is common. Up until the Bridgeman decision, the museum could claim copyright of the photos, as well. Now in many countries it's not the case. Even if you take the photograph in a different country, you can still distribute the photos when you're back in the US, since US laws would apply to your distribution. Just taking the photographs is theoretically allowed (since it's for your own use at that time) unless they throw the "flash photography" restriction at you and back it up with security guards/nosy museum personnel...

Anyway... it's a mosaic, not a painting. It has stood in the African sun for something like 1600 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Can Americans visit Libya these days? I remember a tv show where one of the crew couldn't get into Libya due his American nationality (not long ago).
    I think so, but I can't be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    I dunno. Maybe. Ugh, libraries.

2D photos of old mosaics aren't under copyright in any case in the US, even if they are high-res, because of Bridgeman.
    Cool. Learn something new every day.

Give the libraries some love. They are beautiful places.

Normally I'd say go forth and check it out. But then again it looks a bit annoying for the Amerkans to travel there:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_951.html

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Cool. Learn something new every day.
    I just checked out the Bridgeman site. They are based in England, where the law is specifically the reverse of US law. (though it is not bulletproof) Interestingly, what they are doing now is selling subscriptions to be able to download high-res images... they are also claiming copyright of high-res photos, in the US terms and conditions: (which they can't do legally in the US)

Written consent: The Reproduction of the Photographs is strictly forbidden without the specific written consent of the Supplier and subject always to paragraph Cancellation and Termination. In particular but without limitation electronic use, storage, communication to the public or transmission of Photographs is forbidden without the express, written permission of the Supplier and is subject to an additional contract. It is the responsibility of the Client to inform the Supplier when and how a picture is to be used, including any self billing clients prior to reproduction.

Even more appalling:
    Low resolution images for selection: Low Resolution images are for reference only and must not be used for any kind of reproduction. To reproduce any images for reproduction you must use the licencing process and inform your library contact so that reproduction permission can be cleared with museums.

Hah! So now they're hiding behind quite a thin veil of "our law trumps your law, can't hear you, nanananana?" (edit: they can't really even do that very much, since the second court decision was actually based partly on UK law)

It would be interesting if someone (in the US) bought a subscription, downloaded their entire archives, and posted publicly every single piece that has expired copyright.
    Last edited by agamemnus; 10-30-2010 at 08:27 AM.