Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subtle trolling in D&D

Default Subtle trolling in D&D

There has been a certain member that is taking the extra time to break up longish posts, sometimes by multiple posters, and replying to them without keeping the tracking link (the little arrow box by the name in the quote) in the quote.
    I understand not copying the tracking information into every quote box if you're replying to specific points, but this user is removing it from the entire post while they nitpick apart the post they are replying to. This usually results in creating a conversation that is mutated and not at all what was originally presented, but since the tracking link was removed it makes it difficult to figure out the context, and the poster, thats being replied to.

Can we agree that taking the extra time to remove the quotation link is an attempt to hamper the flow of the conversation, trollish, and needs to stop?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-31-2010 at 02:21 PM.

I see your point. Though when it's come up in the past, the issue has been that the person in question doesn't actually use the quote function at all. Just scrolls up, copies a part of text and pastes it in quote tags.

Fry 'em
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Can we agree that you constantly calling Lewk a troll is trollish? I think we've established numerous times that he just doesn't use the quote function.
    Hope is the denial of reality

But Lewk is a troll, he's all but said it that he only posts because he likes to see liberals squirm in horror. He's just kept around because of some grandfather clause, and because Dread has an obsession about collecting mentally ill posters to gawk at.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

so much for keeping names out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Can we agree that you constantly calling Lewk a troll is trollish? I think we've established numerous times that he just doesn't use the quote function.
    but he does. Its when the discussion starts to pick up and he starts spinning quotes into something thats not at all related to the flow that he starts trolling in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    but he does. Its when the discussion starts to pick up and he starts spinning quotes into something thats not at all related to the flow that he starts trolling in this manner.
    Wow, you managed to find one exception. In a vast majority of his posts, he doesn't use the quote function. You whined about this before and this was established before. Why do you care so much? He clearly does it in order to respond to only parts of the posts he considers relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Wow, you managed to find one exception. In a vast majority of his posts, he doesn't use the quote function. You whined about this before and this was established before. Why do you care so much? He clearly does it in order to respond to only parts of the posts he considers relevant.
    There is more than one example on these boards, I even linked to more than one example in what you quoted.
    D&D is supposed to be sorta kinda maybe serious debates and discussions, others have pointed out that his topics are questionable at best, and the way he handles himself in there doesn't help with the discussion part.

He is making an active decision to make it difficult to follow a conversation, as he is obviously aware of the quote button, its uses, and how it works. Everyone else seems more than capable of breaking up quoted posts without cutting out the linkback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    He is making an active decision to make it difficult to follow a conversation, as he is obviously aware of the quote button, its uses, and how it works. Everyone else seems more than capable of breaking up quoted posts without cutting out the linkback.
    No, he's not. He responds to the points he considers relevant. If you think he quotes you out of context, say so in the response.

A discussion shouldn't have to be (at best) paused, or (at worst) sidetracked to remind the same user over and over again that "X didn't say that". His manipulations were addressed in the last two threads he posted in, and both went off topic after that.

Lewk does this because he appears incapable of actually debating full points with someone else, and would rather see his threads in flames/ruins than admit to something he wasn't trying to advertise/advocate. Aside from trolling, there would be no point to posting.

Does he sometimes use the quote function? Sure. But not often, usually he does what he has always done, he quotes manually. Which leaves no tracking info. A mannerism driving you nuts isn't trolling, it's you with a very thin skin. *charitably. Uncharitably, it's just another expression of you wanting to persecute Lewk because you don't like/agree with him* We aren't under Atari anymore, so there's no reason to put up with asinine procedural rules like "no double posting." I'm sure as hell not in favor of you dictating how I or anyone else on here quotes.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Lewk has a learning disorder...he refuses to learn. If you have a hard time dealing with it (like I do) than put him on ignore.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    But Lewk is a troll, he's all but said it that he only posts because he likes to see liberals squirm in horror. He's just kept around because of some grandfather clause, and because Dread has an obsession about collecting mentally ill posters to gawk at.
    Well, to be fair, that's why he keeps you around too.

Note, until this very moment I had no idea those arrows up there did anything.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Lewk has a learning disorder...he refuses to learn. If you have a hard time dealing with it (like I do) than put him on ignore.
    That's not fair. It's not a disorder, it's just conservatism.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Well, to be fair, that's why he keeps you around too.
    Yes, well done, that was the joke

"Subtle"

I do think it's noteworthy that the gawdawful "taxes..." thread still is in D&D, considering how we banged on about raising the standards on D&D, I question having an ancient brains to the wall dumb as a doorknob chain-e-mail as a serious topic. I mean come on, many other posters would have been told to take a hike and have the thread kicked to GC, but we consider Lewk to be the kind of special you look at all misty eyed and go, "Well, that's our Lewk, whadda you going to do about it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    * [...] * We aren't under Atari anymore, so there's no reason to put up with asinine procedural rules like "no double posting."
    Or correct use of parentheses.
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 11-01-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Yes, well done, that was the joke
    Oh, you were joking?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Or correct use of parentheses.

Agreed...unsubtle trolling is always more fun..

Overt trolling > unsubtle trolling.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Does he sometimes use the quote function? Sure. But not often, usually he does what he has always done, he quotes manually. Which leaves no tracking info. A mannerism driving you nuts isn't trolling, it's you with a very thin skin. *charitably. Uncharitably, it's just another expression of you wanting to persecute Lewk because you don't like/agree with him* We aren't under Atari anymore, so there's no reason to put up with asinine procedural rules like "no double posting." I'm sure as hell not in favor of you dictating how I or anyone else on here quotes.
    Oops, I should have been reading this thread. I've got to say, bastardizing the quote function is more than just having a thin skin about "mannerisms". It makes it difficult to follow threads. When we read Lewk's quotes that don't mention the other user's name, it's no longer a discussion, let alone a "debate".

Maybe we want to reply, but not to Lewk. So how far back are we supposed to scroll and read before we find that person's comment?

Yeah, let's ALL do what Lewk does, and simply write our ideas to unnamed posters. Why bother with the vBulletin functions at all. We could just all be anonymous with no username. Just a bunch of ideological text.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Oops, I should have been reading this thread. I've got to say, bastardizing the quote function is more than just having a thin skin about "mannerisms". It makes it difficult to follow threads.
    It's certainly not trolling. And if it drives nuts to the extent it did him. . . then yeah, the problem is a thin skin. Kathaksung is allowed to post his insanity here. No one suggests formal forum sanction against my use of asterisks or Lewk's total inability to learn spelling, or anyone's occasional double-posting. We might comment on them as individuals, but there is a world of difference between that and asking for warning points to be applied to it, with their cumulative potential to result in temp bans.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

It's certainly not trolling. And if it drives nuts to the extent it did him. . . then yeah, the problem is a thin skin. Kathaksung is allowed to post his insanity here. No one suggests formal forum sanction against my use of asterisks or Lewk's total inability to learn spelling, or anyone's occasional double-posting. We might comment on them as individuals, but there is a world of difference between that and asking for warning points to be applied to it, with their cumulative potential to result in temp bans.
    Who asked for WL or temp bans or formal forum sanctions?

I only found this thread today, better late than never. Loki accused me of trolling Lewk. Because I was using a posting style to illustrate an idea, between two individuals.

I used my commentary (as an individual) to speak a certain way to another individual (Lewk). I hope Lewk sees he's only serving himself at the expense of other posters, or (fingers crossed) new posters. He has interesting and controversial ideas, he is part of forum conversation. But he makes it difficult for everyone else to participate with each other in the way he ignores names.

Who asked for WL or temp bans or formal forum sanctions?
    The person who wants it labeled as trolling?

The person who wants it labeled as trolling?
    That would be Loki?

That would be Loki?
    Ah no..that would be in the OP.....OG.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

It's certainly not trolling.
    Are you sleeping with him behind HomeSchooler2398234983er983249342's back? Or how else do you have access privy to the mind and machinations of the Lewkowskian kind? He has outright admitted his fascination in seeing "lubrals squirm" and how he adjusts his posting style accordingly. The text-book definition of a troll is an inflammatory posting style aimed at garnering a response; the definition has been largely ignored in the forum discourse but that is what the term means. Lewk is an unabashed, self-acknowledged troll. I do not quite perceive why you chose to champion his cause and propagate these lies, but your mannerisms are foreign and your thoughts opaque to my barbaric, non-God-fearing mind, so what the Hey.

Are you sleeping with him behind HomeSchooler2398234983er983249342's back? Or how else do you have access privy to the mind and machinations of the Lewkowskian kind? He has outright admitted his fascination in seeing "lubrals squirm" and how he adjusts his posting style accordingly. The text-book definition of a troll is an inflammatory posting style aimed at garnering a response; the definition has been largely ignored in the forum discourse but that is what the term means. Lewk is an unabashed, self-acknowledged troll. I do not quite perceive why you chose to champion his cause and propagate these lies, but your mannerisms are foreign and your thoughts opaque to my barbaric, non-God-fearing mind, so what the Hey.
    Does Lewk "quote" non-"lubrals"?

I doubt this forum has any non-liberals in his eyes

Are you sleeping with him behind HomeSchooler2398234983er983249342's back? Or how else do you have access privy to the mind and machinations of the Lewkowskian kind? He has outright admitted his fascination in seeing "lubrals squirm" and how he adjusts his posting style accordingly.
    "Adjusts his posting style accordingly"? Adjusts from what? What was the baseline? I know you've never been around in a time where he was actually making use of the quote function, seeing as I've been seeing him post longer than you have and I've never seen him making any sort of regular use out of quote functions. Hell, he used to not include material in quotes at all. Technically, he's making a sort of progress. You cannot in ANY rational manner, put baseline behavior down as attempting to bait liberals.