Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ads and Nessus

Default Ads and Nessus

First, I like the ads. It makes the place seem more, I don't know, worth something.

Second, where the heck is Nessus? This place isn't half as, I don't know, worth anything without Nessus here.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 11-08-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Ness is around still.

I'm kinda surprised that a number of people actually seem to like the ads. I never would have put it off for so long if I thought this was the reaction it'd get.

I don't like them! They are too close to the navigation links, and I often hit the ad instead of the link.

If I wanted ads I'd be surfing. I didn't mind it much when I wasn't logged in; figured that was the price I paid for not logging in. But logged in...sucks.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I don't mind the ads, I just wish they were farther from the navigation bar, like Bitter said.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Il have the awesome superpower of Ignore Ads. I promise to only use this for Good.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Oh, so they weren't there indeed beforehand. I noticed them the other day. Thought they were sort of funny given that they seem to work on a location basis. Which is rather useless in my case.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    ADS.
    What?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    I don't like them! They are too close to the navigation links, and I often hit the ad instead of the link.
    I hit the ads all the time. Gotta support our underwriters. Or something. Make sure you let the site load and nav around it a bit before you close it.
    The Rules

Er, what? Ads? Am I the only one using Firefox?

Apparently.
    The Rules

Fine with the ads, curious if Wraith can make any money off of us

Click click click! Gotta keep the lights on somehow.
    The Rules

Banner ads. No, can't say I like them much. But then the political season is over so we won't be seeing those for another 18 months. Erm, maybe 12 if you count presidential primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Er, what? Ads? Am I the only one using Firefox?
    Nope, and my reaction is the same as yours.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I hit the ads all the time. Gotta support our underwriters. Or something. Make sure you let the site load and nav around it a bit before you close it.
    I'd wraither give money to support the site. Ads suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Fine with the ads, curious if Wraith can make any money off of us
    Unlikely. If somehow it does happen, I'll either turn off the ads or start some sort of profit sharing dealie.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    ADS.
    What?

ADS

Active Denial System

The Active Denial System (ADS) is a less-lethal, directed-energy weapon developed by the U.S. military.[1] It is a strong millimeter-wave transmitter primarily used for crowd control (the "goodbye effect"[2]). Some ADS such as HPEM ADS are also used to disable vehicles.[3] Informally, the weapon is also called heat ray.[4] Raytheon is currently marketing a reduced-range version of this technology.[5] The ADS was deployed in 2010 with the United States military in Afghanistan, but was withdrawn without seeing combat.[6] On August 20, 2010 the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department announced its intent to use this technology on prisoners in the Pitchess Detention Center in Los Angeles, stating its intent to use it in "operational evaluation" in situations such as breaking up prisoner fights.[7]

Effects

The ADS works by firing a high-powered beam of electromagnetic radiation in the form of high-frequency millimeter waves at 95 GHz[8] (a wavelength of 3.2 mm). Similar to the same way that a microwave oven heats food, the millimeter waves excite the water and fat molecules in the body, instantly heating it and causing intense pain. (Note that while microwaves will penetrate human tissue and remove the water to "cook" the flesh, the millimeter waves used in ADS are blocked by cell density and only penetrate the top layers of skin, so it will not damage human flesh.) Such is the nature of dielectric heating that the temperature of a target will continue to rise so long as the beam is applied, at a rate dictated by the target's material and distance, along with the beam's frequency and power level set by the operator. Like all focused energy, the beam will irradiate all matter in the targeted area, including everything beyond/behind it that is not shielded, with no possible discrimination between individuals, objects or materials, although highly conductive materials such as aluminium cooking foil should reflect this radiation and could be used to make clothing that would be protective against this radiation.[9] As demonstrated on Discovery Channel's "Future Weapons", all living things in the target area receive a similar dosage of radiation.

A spokesman for the Air Force Research Laboratory described his experience as a test subject for the system:

"For the first millisecond, it just felt like the skin was warming up. Then it got warmer and warmer and you felt like it was on fire.... As soon as you're away from that beam your skin returns to normal and there is no pain."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Unlikely. If somehow it does happen, I'll either turn off the ads or start some sort of profit sharing dealie.
    We could be rich!
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    ADS

Active Denial System
    Does anyone know if this has been used yet?
    The Rules

The Tea Party isn't strong enough yet.

Does anyone know if this has been used yet?
    Danger Room covered this a lot. Bottom line, they shipped it to Afghanistan but never used it before bringing it back:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...m-afghanistan/

A civilian variant, however, has somewhat controversially been proposed for prisons:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...l-a-prisoners/

If we all start profiting, everyone will be for whoring us out . As for the distance, if we get PPC, there are some benefits to your mishap, you may even end up buying something you see on their page!

Definitely don't just click on the ads to click on them. If a lot of people do it, Wraith's account will probably get suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    ADS

Active Denial System
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Definitely don't just click on the ads to click on them. If a lot of people do it, Wraith's account will probably get suspended.
    They will never know if you spend a second looking around the advertiser's site. Come on, its time to DO something to support this site. Don't you care?
    The Rules

What ads? I don't see any ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

They will never know if you spend a second looking around the advertiser's site. Come on, its time to DO something to support this site. Don't you care?
    Google has a few formulas that calculate how often an ad should get clicked, both during its history and across the multiple different domains it appears on. If a domain triggers an abuse warning, the adsense account can get suspended.