Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oklahoma Shariah Ban Is Blocked

Did I hear somebody whisper "less money, less freedom" ?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Did I hear somebody whisper "less money, less freedom" ?
    Freedom has to be earned, freedom has a price?

Speaking of Shari'a: http://hurryupharry.org/2010/11/20/civilised-v-savage/

Count the number of Muslim-majority states in the "No" or "Abstain" categories. You can do the same for the number of African states.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Not having read the thread beyond post #6:
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What does it say about the voter when this kind of a measure can get ~70% of the vote? I blame voters for being idiots, and the education system (and media) for contributing to that stupidity. Politicians are just doing what politicians do: taking advantage of a situation for their own gain.
    If the First Amendment didn't exist, I'd want to create it.

I have no objection with the Shariah part of the measure (besides the fact its redundant, the First Amendment prevents Shariah Law anyway while also IMO preventing this). The irony isn't that 70% voted for this, its how many of that 70% do want Christian law in the courts.

The courts are a place for civil law, not religious law.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not having read the thread beyond post #6:
    If the First Amendment didn't exist, I'd want to create it.

I have no objection with the Shariah part of the measure (besides the fact its redundant, the First Amendment prevents Shariah Law anyway while also IMO preventing this). The irony isn't that 70% voted for this, its how many of that 70% do want Christian law in the courts.

The courts are a place for civil law, not religious law.
    The measure also bans consideration of international law and laws of other countries, which happens to be unconstitutional.

By the way, it's pretty clear this passed because Oklahomans are fearful of Muslims/Islam, not because they want a separation of state and church.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The measure also bans consideration of international law and laws of other countries, which happens to be unconstitutional.

By the way, it's pretty clear this passed because Oklahomans are fearful of Muslims/Islam, not because they want a separation of state and church.
    Hence why I wrote "Shariah part of the measure".

I think my second sentance said much the same thing as yours.

Good to know the sound mind of the Oklahoma voters. Muslims make up slightly under 1% of the population there. A real threat indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Elitist.
    Yeah, I've got elitist for you.