Thread: Computer Help Needed Badly!

Default Computer Help Needed Badly!

My computer will not work in normal mode anymore. I have to run the computer in Safe Mode now. At first whenever I booted up the computer it just froze and I would have to hold the power button down to shut it off. I did that a bunch of times and I know it's not good so I wonder if that's the reason?

But anyways, I tried System Restore and it didn't work. I tried different antivirus programs and it still didn't work. I have 5.85 GB out of 55.8 GB left. I deleted everything out the Temp folder ad it still didn't work.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this computer to work please help. I have Windows XP on a Toshiba Portege m200 laptop.

I'm tired of running this computer in Safe Mode with no sound so any help would be appreciated.

Start by removing all drivers while in safe mode.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Happens to me when my graphics driver does naughty things/overheats and inevitably fatally crashes the OS (also XP)... then it won't restart because the graphics drivers are fritzing up the system. The problem sometimes goes away when the computer completely cools down, but sometimes I have to reinstall the OS. Try using System Restore to go back to a previous restore point. That sometimes does it.

I did System Restore multpile times and it still did not help no matter which date I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Start by removing all drivers while in safe mode.
    Wait...How is this going to help?

Safe mode doesn't load drivers you've installed. By unistalling all the drivers you've installed you force XP to use default drivers. Then you will be able to start the computer in normal mode.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

And then what happens after I remove the drivers.

Btw, should I remove the network driver?

What happens is exactly as Being described: Windows will try to find the appropriate drivers and install them.

You probably just want to remove the graphics driver. Windows XP really does not have a lot of drivers pre-installed, including modem drivers that you need for an internet connection, so you'd be kind of in trouble if you removed that and didn't have a backup or copy anywhere.

Ah, so you are Kidlife for real! Sorry about the confusion earlier.

Just follow the post I made at DBX. Using Windows Repair through the reinstallation DVD is the exact same thing as Agamemnus is proposing, except that instead of doing things manually and risk throwing out an irreplaceable driver, it resets all of them to factory settings - a point at which they should work.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

So you want him to throw out all the drivers, some of which may not be on any Windows CD? I don't agree. Graphics drivers are not even close to "irreplaceable", on the other hand... they can be easily re-downloaded from ATI/Nvidia/etc.

Well I managed to download a program called REVO Uninstaller and it helped me delete some programs that took up alot of space.

My computer is working for now, so thanks for the help you guys.