Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ad placement

You see as much as I do. I was guessing the books were at approximately a fourth grade level, was just looking for something to confirm it, and that seemed like a reasonable website to use after a quick search.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Okay, so...sorry, but I'm not following what the problem is.
    The ad is bigger than the margin that is supposed to contain it. (the right margin, which ends at the last page number)
    Last edited by agamemnus; 11-17-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    The ad is bigger than the margin that is supposed to contain it. (the right margin, which ends at the last page number)
    You haven't yet realized that none of us can confirm this since the ads are targeted based on the user? Unless everyone here is being advertised coupons for local Long Island businesses, even people in Finland, Britain, or Australia...
    . . .

I have seen a lot of different ads, and I'm pretty sure *all* the ads are bigger than the margin allows now. Maybe they were the same (large) size before and I didn't notice.

I have seen a lot of different ads, and I'm pretty sure *all* the ads are bigger than the margin allows now. Maybe they were the same (large) size before and I didn't notice.
    Post a picture so we can see, that'll help us solve the problem.
    . . .

:\
    I'm not sure we can fix that, it just seems like your browser window is really small.
    . . .

It also seems like you're not even using the full width of your 800 x600 monitor. All of the elements of the page start crunching up at that kind of width. Though unlike many other sites, this site lets them crunch. EG if you try viewing nytimes.com on that width most of the elements won't "float" into your frame of view.

But I'm not sure there's anything that can be done -- the ad units are a standard size used across Web sites all over the Internet. Unlike the page elements here, they aren't really dynamic. But on the plus side we haven't set the minimum page width to be less than 720 pixels, so the content of the page will always look right (just not the ads).

May I ask why you have a monitor so small?

What are the odds that anyone's ever had lips tatooed on their asshole?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

1) Huh? The site is full-screen... the width of that image is 800 pixels.
    2) I already told you that my resolution is 800x600. It's for my eyes... That doesn't say anything about the size of my monitor.
    3) If you actually center the ad by offsetting by the left margin of the parent somehow, it will look better.
    4) Actually, what ads? Hmm, don't see any ads anymore... I must be going blind *cough* thanks Firefox *cough*.

I don't know what to tell you except that ad is 728 pixels and not a pixel wider. Save the images to your desktop. Inspect the HTML. But they never exceed 728 pixels.

Your actual window size on the forum must be less than that to have the image out of the window like that.

The picture Agamemnus linked to is exactly 800 pixels wide. The ad banner is exactly 728 pixels wide in that image. The 72 pixels left are divided into 55 pixels on the left side of the screen, and 17 pixels for his vertical scroll bar. If the ad banner can't go into the left margin, then the maximum banner width that does not break out of the table is about 695 pixels.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    What are the odds that anyone's ever had lips tatooed on their asshole?
    Let's jsut say that with guys like Kenyon Martin in the world, anything is possible.

I just know someone has done it. Probably its harder to find the tatoo artist to do the job than the screwball who wants it done.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I just know someone has done it. Probably its harder to find the tatoo artist to do the job than the screwball who wants it done.
    I'm sure both can be found in SF's Tenderloin district.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

How sure?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I don't suppose you remember the scene from one of the Ramona Quimby books where a class full of kids wore chiquita banana stickers on their foreheads? It's a girly book, one of many of the children's chapter books belonging to me that my son refused to read, but my daughter really loved it and it didn't seem particularly dated. If your daughter isn't past that level in her reading and hasn't already they are pretty entertaining.
    I loved Ramona books as a kid... I can't remember how old I was when I read them....

Also, Mozilla Firefox is free, 100x times better than IE other than the occasional dumbass site that doesn't support it, and you can get adblock! Then you don't have to complain about the ads anymore

When I was looking at whose viewing what, It showed Google Spider, and Google Spider Bot, and what threads they were viewing. I found that interesting for potentially manipulating what ads we get, by changing what's posted in the threads it's searching at the moment.

You mean...like posting?

The bots are used for indexing for search results as well as ads, but the crawling isn't done every time the page is loaded. Though I'm curious how often it actually is, it must be pretty frequent to maintain relevance.

As we can see, the matching isn't always perfect:

That's debatable.

Size and placement are fine.

Am I the only one creeped out that Hal is showing me specific ad banners? So specific they name my city. I can understand that, based on my ISP. But I happened to notice the ads also seem to know my gender and age, and the ads change to correspond with my most recent posts and key words.

This may sound laughable to you guys, but what is Hal "doing" with my demographic data? (I never click on the ads.) Isn't this kinda creepy to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Size and placement are fine.

Am I the only one creeped out that Hal is showing me specific ad banners? So specific they name my city. I can understand that, based on my ISP. But I happened to notice the ads also seem to know my gender and age,
    It doesn't know your gender and age. It guesses based on the content on the page and who it thinks is likely to be interested in that stuff. If you pay attention, it often guesses wrong.
    and the ads change to correspond with my most recent posts and key words.
    It responds to the text on the page, not your text specifically. If it seems like it keys in on things you write, it's only because you drift towards common phrases and keywords faster than most of us. All of your talk about DUIs shifted the ads to stuff about drinking and DUIs for most of us in that thread, and my talk of it here stands a good chance of shifting it to more stuff about alcohol and breathalyzers and DUIs for this thread now too.

Yeah, I just started getting a bunch of 'Sober College' adverts; definitely barking up the wrong tree. I have to wonder how Google makes so much money on this stuff; I rarely see a well-targeted ad (though I do occasionally on my Gmail) and never click on one. I never really got the point.

Image ads are often bid-on a CPM basis. But to be honest, everyone says they never click on ads. In reality they do, just some of the time. If there are 4 trillion page views on the Web each day and 1% of them are an ad click on something relevant, there's a lot of money in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Image ads are often bid-on a CPM basis. But to be honest, everyone says they never click on ads. In reality they do, just some of the time. If there are 4 trillion page views on the Web each day and 1% of them are an ad click on something relevant, there's a lot of money in there.
    There's no money until something is purchased. So how many of that 1% actually buy something after they click?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The payment is over the click, and not every advertiser is trying to directly transact through an ad. Though many are. Savvy advertisers track conversions and come up with an advertising strategy that matches their ROI/CPL goals. If they are only paying for a click and 10% of their ad clicks lead to a purchase, they adjust bids and other settings to ensure that they are earning a profit from the sales coming from online marketing.

It's still kinda creepy. After I posted about DUIs, the banner ads were for SoberCollege.com. After I posted about gun violence, the ads were for USConcealedCarry.com (do you know your rights?)

Once I started paying attention to the ad banners, and how they change from forum to sub-forum, based on my posts......well, Hal is really creepy.