Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so serious?

Too....... cute.............must not watch again........

See, Chacha, Bukkaroo can be entertaining, why can't you?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Cruel.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Another problem this forum has. More than once I've seen posters being accussed of getting worked up, agitated, or taking something to seriously.... all because they are defending a point they made in a discussion. In other words, people are being told to shut up or get accussed of needing to calm down, all for attempting to flesh out a debate.
    That's because it is used as a debating technique.

Another problem this forum has. More than once I've seen posters being accussed of getting worked up, agitated, or taking something to seriously.... all because they are defending a point they made in a discussion. In other words, people are being told to shut up or get accussed of needing to calm down, all for attempting to flesh out a debate.

People obviously value opinions and debate at different levels, and having it come up everytime the discussion finally starts getting past the basic "I think this" is really annoying.
    I think people have legitimately been getting agitated. Or at least zealous to the point of being disrespectful of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    That's not my point. Not at all. The opposite is quite the case. The content of a discussion should be taken seriously, but let the discussion be a discussion. It's nothing your life depends on. I think a rant from time to time is not a bad thing. But don't take it with you when you close the tab, or when you move from one thread to another. It is just not worth it.
    You're also a pleasant poster person. But you've heard that saying, not to discuss religion, sex, or politics at a party?

Especially not family gatherings. I could tell you some stories...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    And we're one big family here?

Funny, we do better here discussing religion and sex better than most families. But bring in politics (or money) and, oh whoa do people get testy!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    You're also a pleasant poster person. But you've heard that saying, not to discuss religion, sex, or politics at a party?
    With the exception of Family gatherings I usually replace sex by math. At my former workplace, there was a running gag. Once someone started to have a technical conversation in public someone shouted "geek alert".
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

People obviously value opinions and debate at different levels, and having it come up everytime the discussion finally starts getting past the basic "I think this" is really annoying.
    It might also have something to do with the choice of writing style, and tone. I choose to write in a certain manner because a) it amuses me 2) because I take this forum partly as a writing exercise given my linguo-geographical handicap, choice of occupation aside. Naturally I come off as a huge cock, which does still satisfy condition a but makes prolonged sessions of 2 problematic since cocks shut down discourse. Whether or not other dicks of the forum have the same motives I can't say.

You are not allowed to say stuff like that and then not tell the stories Wanker.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I think people
    This shouldn't even enter the discussion. No one needs to be pulling the handbrake on a discussion because someone thinks someone else has reached their own personal threshold of agitation.

being disrespectful
    which needs to be handled, without it needing to be connected to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    It might also have something to do with the choice of writing style, and tone. I choose to write in a certain manner because a) it amuses me 2) because I take this forum partly as a writing exercise given my linguo-geographical handicap, choice of occupation aside. Naturally I come off as a huge cock, which does still satisfy condition a but makes prolonged sessions of 2 problematic since cocks shut down discourse. Whether or not other dicks of the forum have the same motives I can't say.
    Well you are not the only one. I have a) similar motivations and 2) you should use consistent enumeration

I have to say I can only bow down to your skills considering that you have - unlike me - a non-Germanic native tongue.

having it come up everytime the discussion finally starts getting past the basic "I think this" is really annoying.
    This ["I think"] shouldn't even enter the discussion. No one needs to be pulling the handbrake on a discussion because someone thinks someone else has reached their own personal threshold of agitation.
    So in one post, you say people shouldn't get offended by people expressing an opinion ("I think"). In another, you get offended when I express an opinion ("I think").

Fine, I will make an assertion: you are being a jerk. Sorry, but you really have to understand how your particular approach is corrosive.

You are not allowed to say stuff like that and then not tell the stories Wanker.
    They're not that interesting, just lots of yelling and swearing. Stuff that would just embarrass me; some of Dread's "real American stuff..." As if.
    The Rules

Hi OG, it's pretty clear when you or Khen get unnecessarily, disproportionately, crazily and annoyingly worked up. As for "I think", there has to be room for "I think" in a place that ostensibly invites discussion and the open sharing of ideas.

EDIT: I was too slow
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The amount of cat pictures per post is way to low on the second page!
    Tigi loves you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    So in one post, you say people shouldn't get offended by people expressing an opinion ("I think"). In another, you get offended when I express an opinion ("I think").
    These are unrelated. Expressing that you think someone has reached your personal threshold of agitation is both off topic and counter productive to the discussion thats being made.
    Like the childish swing you just made.

People should be able to express an opinion without being told they are taking something to seriously, or getting worked up over nothing. Its commonly used as a copout, and rarely used in the valid context of "not being worth it."

In no way was I saying people shouldn't be able to think, and you should damn well know that

What good does it do to have the default threshold for the whole community be that of its craziest member? apart from conveniently enabling systematic disrespect of all other members I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    What good does it do to have the default threshold for the whole community be that of its craziest member? apart from conveniently enabling systematic disrespect of all other members I mean.
    Already covered this. There shouldn't even be a measurement or threshold. No one should be able to tell someone else what they should and should not be overly concerned about. If its leading to flaming or disrespecting behavior that needs handled, outside of trying to relate it to some unidentifiable and unrelated threshold.

Anyone read about the study showing that cat drinking methodology is incredibly sophisticated?
    The Rules

No, but they do have very fast tongues.

Anyone read about the study showing that cat drinking methodology is incredibly sophisticated?
    Yes. Biology is crazy stuff from a physics POV
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Yes. Biology is crazy stuff from a physics POV
    Proves they were Created by God. Repent SINNER!
    The Rules

Proves they were Created by God
    Citation needed

Yes.

My cats were not impressed when I told them I was onto them.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Citation needed

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Yes.

My cats were not impressed when I told them I was onto them.
    Its hard to impress a cat with words. A bucket of water on the other hand makes quite an impression...
    The Rules

Try cream, makes them purring at the same time.

Already covered this. There shouldn't even be a measurement or threshold. No one should be able to tell someone else what they should and should not be overly concerned about.
    Clearly you don't subscribe to any of these ideas yourself given your love of berating dread for every single fucking thing he ever writes

what you're trying to do is to set up a climate where you can get away with being rude and disrespectful. That's what you get when you get rid of the "threshold". You end up servicing only those members who have grown fond of/used to the jackassery that characterises the rest of the internet mob.

Stop being so damned twisty. We're a bunch of people sharing a single plot of internet and we should be comfortable with giving each other feedback wrt behaviour.

If it's any comfort, you don't have to clean your room or be in bed by ten or even brush your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Clearly you don't subscribe to any of these ideas yourself given your love of berating dread for every single fucking thing he ever writes
    Can't recall the last time I've told Dread he was taking defending or arguing a point to seriously, since thats what we're discussing here...
    what you're trying to do is to set up a climate where you can get away with being rude and disrespectful. That's what you get when you get rid of the "threshold".
    Nope, if anything I'm removing a common problem for why discussions around here collapse into derailment instead of slipping down the active list. If anything accusing others of "taking things to seriously" is itself a form of jackassery. This isn't the first thread that I've mentioned problem behavior like being disrespectful needing reeled in, but thats not the discussion here since they shouldn't be paired together like you are doing. Attacking people for being willing to go into a point isn't solving any problems, if anything its feeding the problem.

Telling someone they are taking something to seriously because you don't have the same level of concern or understanding, thats simply being a dick.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.