Thread: Underappreciated and over-looked

Default Underappreciated and over-looked

Many of us are looking for new entertainment, and are tired of the Same Old Shit. This thread invites discussion of true greats that never got their just recognition: movies, books, records, artists, you name it.

The thread was inspired by the weak knock-off Manchurian Candidate. But the original, with Frank Sinatra, is a great classic movie, innovative and creative. Worth of watch for those who can enjoy movies of different eras with their different pacing and dramatic devices.

That was a great movie! So was Citizen Caine, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Also any Hitchcock movie. I like Rear Window a lot, with Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart.

Another oldie but goodie is The Music Man.

For humor, anything with Peter Sellers.

Hmm, I wasn't looking for "great stuff." I was looking for great stuff that doesn't get due credit. The moves you note were all lauded when they came out. The Manuchurian Candidate was quite under recognized. Some argue it got much less screen time because it was made right around Kennedy's assassination. Others deny it.

I'll say Buckaroo Banzai was another such a movie. Some people think it was brilliant. Others don't get it. Also, IIRC the studio didn't promote it very much, since it was sort of an indy flick.

Early Genesis albums were also under-recognized. OK, we all know who Genesis is, but only because of the schlock pop that came later. In 1975, who knew who Genesis was, or Peter Gabriel? Yet The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway remains one of the top 10 most create popular music works. They were playing 5 or 10k seat venues at the time. Astonishing.

Elvis Costello is sort of like this. Some consider him almost a second David Bowie in terms of his intelligence, but he's remained a fairly underground figure.

Or look at MC 90 ft Jesus. Under-appreciated and misunderstood.