Thread: Changing Cable/Phone/Internet Services? Need Help Fast Please

Default Changing Cable/Phone/Internet Services? Need Help Fast Please

Hi, so Time Warner Cable--my family's current provider for all 3 services--has told us that they'll be upping our monthly rates by about $15 to around $185/month. We're not happy with that and are seriously considering switching. Our first thought is AT&T U-verse, but we're open to other things. We actually don't have any HDTVs so no need to worry about any of that

Basic rundown of current services:
    -getting service through 4 tvs, 2 of which have receivers (1 DVR) and at least 400 channels
    -Road Runner High Speed Online, though I really am not sure what the current speeed is. One place said 7.5 mbps but I don't know how to verify that and TWC isn't making it obvious.
    -basic unlimited phone in US, Canada

What U-verse is offering for 6 months at $132-$134/month:
    -3 receivers & 1 free receiver/DVR. This is interesting because currently we dont need boxes for 2 of our tvs and don't mind having fewer channels. Also, I have an Xbox 360 and know that you can use that as a receiver, but I'll be going to college next year and don't know if I'll take the 360 or not
    -internet at 12 mbps
    -same phone

We have until December 4th (that's 4 December for you foriners who happen to read this) to decide, so I'd like some quick responses please!

We're not sure if we want to go with this because the price is only for 6 months, after which it goes up about $40, which is basically where we are now!

My family and I could really use some advice. Do you guys think this is worth the switch? I've heard some poor things about U-verse picture quality. Would something like Verizon FiOs be a better idea? This isn't something I know a whole lot about, particularly (strangely) on the internet side of things. Any help is ridiculously appreciated.

Typically, if you threaten to switch, they will sweeten the deal.

I really really like AT&T Uverse. I was unsure at first, but it's fucking awesome.

U-450 for me - I'm getting all the premium channels for a lot less than I was paying the assholes at Comcast.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Ditch cable, watch Hulu or Netflix.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

I've heard nothing but good things about FiOS.

Bitter's right, though. If you call Time Warner and tell them you're quiting, you'll probably get a better offer than what you're getting. Go in with the information you've apparently already got about their competitors, and you stand a good chance of getting them to at least match their offering.

Have you tried OTA recently?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Yep to Bitter & Wraith.

These company's have specific teams to which your call is passed to when you say you're leaving. These teams have scope to adjust deals to ensure your custom is retained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Yeah, I did that with my mobile phone plan. I was happy with the service and didn;t actually want to leave, but saying I wanted to got me a good discount (~10%).

That said, both options seem very expensive to me to be honest, compared to what I think we're paying over here (but I could be completely wrong about prices here).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Just checked, and FiOS isn't offered in my area, so it looks like we'll be threatening TWC for the time being. OTA would be far too complicated for my family.

Called TWC and let them know what was up, they ended up taking $25 of/month with no contract, so that's what we're going with. Thanks for the help guys!

On a side note, the way this system works is ridiculous. Do nothing and your fees go up, take a second to act and you can negotiate down. It's the way most things like this work, of course, and naturally more people do nothing than something, so there's no reason to change it...