Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Obama did something good: Here is why

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Yet the lake has not even been remotely affected in its ability to continue being a lake.
    This is what I'm objecting to:

So yeah, they think that having the very wealthy paying lower taxes than the middle class is actually a good idea.
    The wealthy are NOT paying lower taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    This is what I'm objecting to:

By (tax actually paid)/income the wealthy are paying about half the tax that average Americans pay.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I'm sure we've gone over this before, but explain how you came up with that idea. Or was Warren Buffet just makin' stuff up about his effective tax rate being less than his secretary's?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm sure we've gone over this before, but explain how you came up with that idea. Or was Warren Buffet just makin' stuff up about his effective tax rate being less than his secretary's?
    Tax rate != taxes paid.

That being said Warren Buffet and the other "super rich" are in a different category then most people. In most cases the wealthy do pay a higher tax rate.

In most cases the wealthy do pay a higher tax rate.
    Specific examples would convince me.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Tax rate != taxes paid.

That being said Warren Buffet and the other "super rich" are in a different category then most people. In most cases the wealthy do pay a higher tax rate.
    No, they really don't. Payroll taxes stop at the first $106,000 earned income. Dividends and capital gains are taxed at a low 15%. Wealthier people also itemize and deduct the hell out of their profits, many use tax shelters. That's why Buffet's rate is 17% but his secretary's is 32%.

Back to the water analogy --- it's crazy to take more from a jug than a lake. That's why lower-middle income workers are feeling 'drained'.

The point is that we don't say the rich person has paid less simply because he has more money. He has paid more because 5 dollars is more then 1 dollar. Same concept goes for taxes. Tear always likes to say the rich pay "less" then the middle class in taxes. And by less Tear means a smaller percentage. My point is that a $100 is a $100, if someone has paid less that would mean they have paid less dollars then someone.
    No, he has not paid less in absolute. I don't think anyone's saying that (except in your librl dreams I guess), but we also just recently agreed that part of conservative rhetoric is that absolute values do not matter so long as the ratio looks better. Or is that just for people and not dollars?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Of course they were. If Republicans refused to budge on one thing and Obama refused to budge on one thing the Bush tax cuts would have expired and everyone's taxes would have gone up.
    Note that part of what Obama apparently held out for was a reduction of your taxes. You get a cut off your Social Security tax (exasserbating that problem in the long term, btw). The irony, of course, is you voted for, and will again, the guys who held out for the millionaires. And the BIGGER irony is both your tax cut and the millionaire tax cut aren't going to benefit the economy and are hurting the US long term. Ok, check, that. Yours, the one you effectively voted against, might benefit the economy, because people in your income bracket will actually spend the money, whereas the upper income folks will effectively bank theirs - or more specifically put it into shorter term bonds or stocks - and do nothing to grease the wheels of consumerism.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

You do realize that Lewk plans on being there eventually, right? In the upper bracket, I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Specific examples would convince me.
    Since I don't have access to other people's tax returns I wouldn't be able to give specific data. I consider myself middle class making around 50k a year. Last year I paid 0 federal income tax. So that left me with payroll taxes and property taxes. I would think most poor people won't even have property taxes to worry about. So as long as most hypothetical rich folks pay at least oh 10% of their income in taxes they DO pay a higher rate. My income is right around the median income for the United States.

Wow, thanks for that cutting edge analysis, Lewk.

Buffett said he paid a lower tax rate than his secretary