Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Princes

Default Princes

That whole FIFA vote made me stumble on a picture of prince William and it made me think how old he looks for his age and how much better looking his brother is. Who would have thought it 10 years ago.
    Congratulations America

I think they're both attractive, each in their own ways. None of us could know Prince William would be an early balder, but that kind of thing never bothered me, anyway. I was a fan of Princess Diana, and William has a bit more of her in his appearance than Henry does.

Henry more attractive? Not to me. Always thought William was the cute one.

He doesn't look old either, but maybe that's because I'm only two years older than him and he looks like people my age do.

The royal wedding will be fun to watch. Katherine seems to have a strong head on her shoulders.

Any woman who can wear her fiance's dead Princess mother's ring, and make it look like her own, must have what it takes to be a future Queen of England?

I've heard that some Brits want the throne to skip Charles and go to William.....

I haven't followed....what happened with all that? Wasn't there talk of skipping Charles before?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I haven't followed....what happened with all that? Wasn't there talk of skipping Charles before?
    No idea. I only hear or read that kind of gossip at the grocery check-out (or when I get my heel callouses filed down). Some say Charles screwed up by marrying Camilla. Some say he's just too old and crotchety, concerned with his environmentalism and artistic side, too romantic to be King of England. Whereas Prince William is young and bold, doesn't care if he comes off as a prick, wore some tasteless WWII Nazi costume at Halloween, even tried to be a legitimate military man in Afghanistan until his cover was blown.

We need some British input here.

Unless Charles abdicates or dies before the Queen does, he'll be king.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We know that, Dr. Loki. You're missing the gist of the conversation. Get with it!

Anyway! Princes don't make the news as much as Princesses. Not in the US at least. We may like the pomp and circumstance of countries with Royalty, especially England, but it's the Princesses that we follow. Not sure if that's an old Disney fall-out, and how our movies are aimed at the Princess, or our connection to Grace Kelly. Maybe both? Even the Princess of Monaco had Hollywood connections.

But that's just my take on it, as an American. Our "royalty" is usually from movies or music. The Camelot era was a long time ago, but Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis is still referred to as American royalty, much more than JFK or Onassis. The Kennedy family is still an American "dynasty", but not "royalty".

King of Pop. Queen of Soul. Lady Gaga. Queen Latifah. Prince (the artist formerly known as). Michael Jackson naming his kid Prince. Probably more that I can't think of now, but we love also our royalty. It's just different.

Weird coincidence with my family, I am 4 days older than William while my brother is less than a month younger than Harry. My mothers name is Diane. Thankfully the comparisons end there, my other brother was born after Diana's death (although if the conspiracy theories about her being pregnant at death were true there wouldn't have been much of a gap again).

I'm a republican and don't have much time with the monarchy. The notion of 'skipping' Charles is ludicrous no matter how popular it might be. The next King is the first male child (female if no males only), that is it. By the time Charles ever becomes King he's going to be well past normal retirement age and the same may be true with William untimately. Modern medicine means we're not likely to have a young monarch like the Queen originally again.

As for Nazi uniform, controversy etc that's Harry not William. William has kept his nose clean.

oops, sorry 'bout that, I thought it was William.

So the notion of Charles abdicating is "popular" in the UK? You may personally dismiss that, but it's a topic of gossip in the US. Charles already seems tired and more like his father at this point. By the time Queenie dies, he may just say fuck it, and abdicate the throne to William. I figure that could be another decade or so.

Charles has waited his whole life to be King, he'll never abdicate so no matter how popular the discussion may be in the States or elsewhere it is totally meaningless. Until we become a republic, the head of state is determined by accident of birth, popularity is irrelevant.

Since you're the only Brit to post, I'll assume you know that Prince Charles has wanted and waited his whole life to be King of England, and would never abdicate.

Remind me again, why the lone Brit posting makes that true?

Because of his behaviour, what is known about him, what his friends say, what he's said, what his son has said, what the serious media says etc, etc, etc

I also doubt any heir to the throne would give up the position; it would defy the idea of a hereditary monarchy, it goes against tradition, it goes against the sense of duty they are raised with and, more practicle, it robs their children of valuable years in which they can have a life a bit less abnormal. Charles may have been waiting the biggest part of his life, but not being king made it possible for him to marry his true love.

Now, for the William and Harry thing; I don't get the women in this thread. He's balding, and sort of mousy without the hair he used to have. I was about to say that he reminds me of his uncle Edward, but upon checking what he looks like (today) even Edward is more appealing than William. Harry not only has got that unruly bush of red hair, he simply looks so much more vibrant than William.
    Congratulations America

Now, this is a prince who could take me for a ride on his white horse; Carl Philip of Sweden.
    Congratulations America

Hm. No.

Think some Kate Middleton pics are called for though.

I approve of Wills's tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

She's prettier than he's handsome, must have a great personality to attract a trophy wife like that (or be the future king of England of course )
    Congratulations America

It's good to be the (future) King.

But I wouldn't say she the typical trophy wife. Not hot enough for that, but pretty... I agree.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    It's good to be the (future) King.

But I wouldn't say she the typical trophy wife. Not hot enough for that, but pretty... I agree.
    I agree, it was a bit much, but i just fancied using the term
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    But but, Charles is doin' it with a horse-faced peasant girl.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Because of his behaviour, what is known about him, what his friends say, what he's said, what his son has said, what the serious media says etc, etc, etc
    I'd want it. Wouldn't you? And you? And you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    She's prettier than he's handsome, must have a great personality to attract a trophy wife like that (or be the future king of England of course )
    There's something wrong with her face. Her cheeks ball up too much when she smiles. It's too girly looking. She'll have to learn a little more loftiness if she expects to be royalty. And her eyes are buggy. A little like what's her name, the drug addict from Herbie the Love Bug.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Unfortunately i'd have to agree with this. I personally don't want Charles to become King, i don't know why if i'm honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Unfortunately i'd have to agree with this. I personally don't want Charles to become King, i don't know why if i'm honest.
    Fortunately for him, you Subjects don't get to pick your King. Now get back to work you freakin' serf. And show some respect.
    The Rules

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

"I'm your king!" - "I didn't vote for you!"
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

If the subject wants a vote in who becomes king then it's no longer a real king is it?

But this wasn't really about republican tendencies, it was about William being 4 notches less attractive in about 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Fortunately for him, you Subjects don't get to pick your King. Now get back to work you freakin' serf. And show some respect.
    Work? What poppycock! Work on a Friday afternoon is non-existent here, i should be at home.

Khen - love that Python piece.

Work? What poppycock! Work on a Friday afternoon is non-existent here, i should be at home.
    I'm sick of being at home - 4 days on the trot of not being able to make it into the office.

Still, at least the coffee is better here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

"...because some watery tart threw a sword at you..."
    The Rules

This is why your Empire fell, you lazy bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Khen - love that Python piece.

I'm sick of being at home - 4 days on the trot of not being able to make it into the office.

Still, at least the coffee is better here.
    What's "on the trot" mean? Do you have diarhea?
    The Rules