Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: If the Democrats just had some balls...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Median and per capita are actually pretty reasonable, but some level of inequality is inevitable. Still, rising tide lifts most boats.
    'Some level' being usually at the heart of most of these tiffs, but never mind. But 'rising tides'? Really? You're giving me trickle-down? It doesn't. Work. Sheesh.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Are you saying that in your mind ownership of property is synonymous with slavery? I know you don't believe that tripe, GGT.

Try again.
    No, I was challenging the concept of freeedom as it relates to property ownership.

Was that really your goal, GGT? Really? It sounds more like lazy cookie cutter thinking to me, but I've been out of the loop for awhile.
    Aha! So you used to be in the loop! And you kinda 'know' me. Gosh, you seem so familiar, but no clue who the hell you are. Is it such a big secret, can't you just tell us who you are?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    No, I was challenging the concept of freeedom as it relates to property ownership.
    You were challenging the concept of freedom by... equating me to a confederate slave owner, or a misogynist? Could you connect those dots a little more clearly for me, because I'm not following.

Aha! So you used to be in the loop! And you kinda 'know' me. Gosh, you seem so familiar, but no clue who the hell you are. Is it such a big secret, can't you just tell us who you are?
    No mystery. I used to post in AtariCC as GE. I'm repeating myself though, check one of the other threads for that exciting reveal.

I wanted to see Enoch the Red's reply to confederacy, property ownership, state's rights, union, republic. Buzz words, I guess, that kind of thing. I KNEW you seemed familiar!

Welcome back. I missed you, you 'lil fucker.

I never expected the summary of a bunch of polls and a political shift to generate such a outlandishly negative response.
    Fresh little poll here, since you value polls so much to determine the pulse of The American People.

The American People say: Tax our way out of debt

With a staggering 60%, in second place: cut military spending, 20%

Seems Medicare and Social Security are pretty important to The American People.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Hush, those polls include poor people and they don't count!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

This was the poll question:

What would you do first to balance the budget?

Taxing wealth is easier as a first measure, than cutting entitlements would be. Kind of a crappy poll question.

Pssh, it's a telephone poll. As are most of these crappy polls. Most people aren't able to pick up on such nuances.

Which is why I think it's a terrible base to conclude something from them, but hey, some people disagree.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    'Some level' being usually at the heart of most of these tiffs, but never mind. But 'rising tides'? Really? You're giving me trickle-down? It doesn't. Work. Sheesh.
    Yes, Dread has argued exactly that many times. What Bush 41 called "voodoo economics."

Proponents of voodoo economics generally ignore that the "rising tide that raises most boats" happened mostly during the dirty liberals phase of our history. It didn't happen once our government, both parties, became almost exclusively pro business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Fresh little poll here, since you value polls so much to determine the pulse of The American People.

The American People say: Tax our way out of debt

With a staggering 60%, in second place: cut military spending, 20%

Seems Medicare and Social Security are pretty important to The American People.
    No, no, no. "Liberal Mainstream Media" and all.

Who the hell answers phone polls?

Bored and lonely housewives.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Who the hell answers phone polls?
    Since that's where the famous unemployment rate comes from there must be at least 60,000 households each month that do.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

If you follow the links it looks like an online poll too.

I just hung up on National Research Media, funny enough. I've only helped do a survey over the phone once and it was like torture, so whoever really does answer them must really be bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I just hung up on National Research Media, funny enough. I've only helped do a survey over the phone once and it was like torture, so whoever really does answer them must really be bored.
    I've done it several times out of curiosity. In my limited experience they fall into three categories: 1) honest attempts to figure out what the populace thinks, 2) efforts to make money using my time and data, and 3) push polls. Whether through bad design (I'm being generous in interpretation of a couple here) or just naked disinformation (one), the last category wins. The last poll I ever took was from the NRA, in which they asked whether I was aware that Hilary Clinton was conspiring with the UN to ban guns in the US, and was I aware that a statue in front of the UN building in NYC was of a gun with a twisted up barrel.

One commercial poll said "a few minutes to answer some questions about quality of life issues." When the questioning got to 20 minutes of baldly commercial issues (nothing but cars, refrigerators, shopping and entertainment preferences but nothing about health, hours worked etc.), I started giving absolutely wrong answer to fuck them up, simply because I was pissed by their mendacity both with time and subject. After that and the NRA, I stopped participating in polls, even though I gt lots of calls.

And the volume of calls makes me think that groups are selling lists of people who will actually respond, and the best hours to call.

I've refused to do polls since.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    One commercial poll said "a few minutes to answer some questions about quality of life issues." When the questioning got to 20 minutes of baldly commercial issues (nothing but cars, refrigerators, shopping and entertainment preferences but nothing about health, hours worked etc.), I started giving absolutely wrong answer to fuck them up, simply because I was pissed by their mendacity both with time and subject.
    A friend of mine was on the phone for nearly an hour participating in one of those surveys. I don't know why she didn't hang up earlier.

Yes, my wife looked at me like I was insane, and afterward I felt like an idiot. Between that and push polls, I gave up on them. I wanted them to be an interesting and perhaps exciting participation in a process I'd always wondered about (who participates in these polls, anyway?) Instead I came away feeling dirtied and disillusioned. Now I trust neither poll results nor the political process, since I know how prevalent such polls are.

"Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain if you knew that he fathered an illegitimate black child?"

"Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain if you knew that he fathered an illegitimate black child?"
    A thousand times more.

Of course, since we all know what happens when we multiply a number by 0, that's probably not particularly helpful.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Yes, my wife looked at me like I was insane, and afterward I felt like an idiot. Between that and push polls, I gave up on them. I wanted them to be an interesting and perhaps exciting participation in a process I'd always wondered about (who participates in these polls, anyway?) Instead I came away feeling dirtied and disillusioned.
    She told me that the person performing the survey kept stressing that if the survey ended before it was completed that it would be disregarded.

The more I heard about it the less it sounded like a survey and the more it sounded like one of those psychological experiments they perform on college freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    A thousand times more.

Of course, since we all know what happens when we multiply a number by 0, that's probably not particularly helpful.
    Sorry, I can't parse your post, though it appears to be in response to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    She told me that the person performing the survey kept stressing that if the survey ended before it was completed that it would be disregarded.
    From a data gathering point of view, that would be kosher. It also happens to be valuable as a tool to keep the participant going, since it introduces the cognitive dissonance that if you quit now, you've wasted all the time you've put in thus far. And yes, I was told the same (in the long commercial one).

The more I heard about it the less it sounded like a survey and the more it sounded like one of those psychological experiments they perform on college freshmen.
    Not sure what you mean, since those can comprise almost anything. But we can be pretty certain that it wasn't an experiment, since that would be illegal and be canned by any IRB. It's an effort to use people to gather valuable economic for free. It uses psychological techniques to make it more successful. Nobody said these folks were dumb!

The one time I did answer any it was about the court system. Was I or anyone I know ever involved in a court issue (criminal or civil). Did I feel like I was being treated fairly. Since it didn't apply to me, the woman then began to generalize, Do I feel the court system is fair as a whole, not fair to minorities, yadda yadda.

Once it got the point that the questions were worded in a way to trip you up, by using negatives when the last five questions were worded positively I told her I had to go. Those polls start out neutral and then show their bias/affiliation after a few minutes.

I forgot, I did complete one survey that was long but was done by the hospital I gave birth in. I did complete that one truthfully and thoroughly because I was so impressed by them during my stay. But that's different than the random poll caller.

From a data gathering point of view, that would be kosher. It also happens to be valuable as a tool to keep the participant going, since it introduces the cognitive dissonance that if you quit now, you've wasted all the time you've put in thus far. And yes, I was told the same (in the long commercial one).
    They are brilliant, aren't they? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there was no set endpoint, and they would ask questions as long as they possibly could.

Not sure what you mean, since those can comprise almost anything. But we can be pretty certain that it wasn't an experiment, since that would be illegal and be canned by any IRB. It's an effort to use people to gather valuable economic for free. It uses psychological techniques to make it more successful. Nobody said these folks were dumb!
    Oh, absolutely. I didn't honestly think it was a psychological test, but I was amazed at how long they expected people to answer their questions, and the level of pressure they were willing to put on people who were, essentially, doing them a favor.

I couldn't help but think of the recordings I saw of the Milgram experiment.

"Please continue. The experiment requires that you continue. It is absolutely essential that you continue.You have no other choice, you must go on."

Yes, excellent of you to recall that example!

If you follow the links it looks like an online poll too.
    What were the questions about?
    Well done Grasshopper.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

If the democrats had some balls, they would be playing baseball, not politics.
    They do not have balls, they have guns.

Top US Federal Judge Assassinated After Threat To Obama Agenda
    Top US Official Murdered After Arkansas Weapons Test Causes Mass Death
    A shocking report prepared for Prime Minister Putin by the Foreign Military Intelligence Directorate (GRU) states that one of the United States top experts in biological and chemical weapons was brutally murdered after he threatened to expose a US Military test of poison gas that killed hundreds of thousands of animals in Arkansas this past week.
    Birds and Fish are now Dying all Around the World
    Last edited by ar81; 01-09-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

If the Democrats have any balls, they'll do something about this:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."