View Poll Results: Separate from your spouse as your last act?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, die as comfortably as possible as a family.

3 100.00%
  • Yes, I don't want to die legally married to this cheater.

0 0%

Thread: To the bitter end

Default To the bitter end

Imagine you have a loving relationship with your spouse. It's a fantastic relationship that has survived many years, produced children, etc.

One day you discover you have cancer. Not curable, but treatable. About two years later you discover your spouse has been having an extra-marital affair.

You legally separate for about two years. You begin the paperwork needed and plan to get legally divorced within a month when your doctors tell you that your cancer has metastasized and you have a few weeks to live.

Do you hold off on the divorce so that you can die with your children and spouse as a family? Or do you pursue the divorce as a last act, to die separated from the person who betrayed you?

Hmm, I probably would have more important things to do than bother with divorce proceedings. But I would amend my will ASAP so the dirty cheater gets nothing, but that my children are provided for.

Aha.

Now that I decided to read news, this is your reaction to Elizabeth Edwards?

My answer is, finally, that if it happens I'll be sure to find you and let you know what I decide.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Gah, I was hoping no one would notice. Not that it actually changes things, but would be interesting to see responses in the abstract. Because honestly I think it's an interesting dilemma.

I suspect I would opt to remain a family, but I also have a feeling that dying would introduce a real fuck you into my system.

the divorce: you do what your love tells you to do

the will: vengence

Well, it makes a difference.

The circumstances around the affair could have a hell of a lot to do with your dying reaction, I think. And once you're dead it's not like it matters, anyway.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Imagine you have a loving relationship with your spouse. It's a fantastic relationship that has survived many years, produced children, etc.

One day you discover you have cancer. Not curable, but treatable. About two years later you discover your spouse has been having an extra-marital affair.

You legally separate for about two years. You begin the paperwork needed and plan to get legally divorced within a month when your doctors tell you that your cancer has metastasized and you have a few weeks to live.

Do you hold off on the divorce so that you can die with your children and spouse as a family? Or do you pursue the divorce as a last act, to die separated from the person who betrayed you?
    Depends on who has what in the marriage. If you have a sizable estate and don't want the cheater getting it, you get the divorce to make it that much harder for them to contest the terms of the will.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Oh, didn't realize this was tied to anything.

Still think I wouldn't worry too much about divorce unless as Fuzzy says, the divorce would make easier to keep him out of the will.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Depends on who has what in the marriage. If you have a sizable estate and don't want the cheater getting it, you get the divorce to make it that much harder for them to contest the terms of the will.
    Well, if you're married the assets are generally joined in some way. Though a divorce is a good way to basically take away half from the other party.

But is it really all about money? To me the more pressing question is about forgiveness and what a family means when it comes down to the wire.

Hmmmm. Family sticks with you in hard times. They don't kick you when you are down. Since John's affair took place during her cancer struggles, seems to me he didn't think much of his "family" at the time. It's up to her if she wants to forgive.

I myself do not forgive easily. An affair is a betrayal of trust and love in my opinion. A life you've built upon has been blown apart; the other person no longer devoted to your family. I could not get past an affair no matter what the circumstances. But that is my personal problem; if another person can do so then they are much stronger than I.

As far as wills go: I'm thinking more that I would want to make sure that my children are taken care of. Too many times when a spouse dies, the other takes up with a new person. Sometimes that new person resents the children from the previous marriage and gets rid of heirlooms, spends their college fund for themselves. If I found out who I thought was my love cheated on me, then I could no longer trust his character and thus must protect my children's future from his personal failures.

I think that if there are no other legal problems (e.g. the disposition of a will, religious matters of a divorcee vs. a widow/er) I don't see why I'd take the effort. Who cares? I'd have better things to do.

In reality, though, there are legal externalities involved that might make it worth it. Writing an ex out of a will is a reasonable desire, and a lot easier if you're not just separated.

I could start by making sure everyone on my facebook finds out about it
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post

But is it really all about money?
    I said if.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

JewTube has failed me

I wanted to post Wesley's dying scene, from the Angel finale

If you've seen it, you know what I mean

Anyways, I suppose it would depend on whether I'd thought I could lie to myself for those two weeks or whatever, dying's awfully lonely business to begin with

I don't think I could

But I can see the temptation

And it's a mighty big temptation
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Meh, depends. If my spouse cheated on me knowing that I was dying, I'd go to reasonable lengths to exclude the spouse from any financial gain. Shouldn't hassle me, since I can squander my accumulated wealth to pay lawyers to take care of it.

That would change radically if younger children were involved. If so, then protecting them would be my first priority, and everything else secondary.

I'm so vain, I thought this thread was about me.

I'll go back to the clowns in my coffee now.

You walked into the party
    Like you were walking onto a yacht
    Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
    Your scarf it was apricot
    You had one eye in the mirror
    As you watched yourself gavotte
    And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
    They'd be your partner, and

You're so vain
    You probably think this
    thread is about you
    You're so vain
    I'll bet you think this
    thread is about you
    Don't you? Don't you?

You had me several years ago
    When I was still quite naive
    Well, you said that we made such a pretty pair
    And that you would never leave
    But you gave away the things you loved
    And one of them was me
    I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
    Clouds in my coffee, and

You're so vain
    You probably think this
    thread is about you
    You're so vain
    I'll bet you think this
    thread is about you
    Don't you? Don't you?

I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
    Clouds in my coffee, and

You're so vain
    You probably think this
    thread is about you
    You're so vain
    I'll bet you think this
    thread is about you
    Don't you? Don't you?

Well, I hear you went up to Saratoga
    And your horse naturally won
    Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia
    To see the total eclipse of the sun
    Well, you're where you should be all the time
    And when you're not, you're with
    Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
    Wife of a close friend, and

You're so vain
    You probably think this
    thread is about you
    You're so vain
    I'll bet you think this
    thread is about you
    Don't you? Don't you?

Eh, who would want to spend his/her last two weeks in this world filled with anger and negativism?
    Congratulations America

RIP. She was a brave and strong woman. With an incredible capacity for forgiveness and dignity.....

John Edwards, from whom Elizabeth Edwards separated last year after he acknowledged fathering a child with a former aide to his unsuccessful vice presidential campaign, was with his wife and their three children: Cate, 28; Emma, 12; and Jack, 10.

During an appearance on TODAY last year, Elizabeth Edwards said that while it was difficult not to be able to “lean” on the man she once called “my rock,” she thought it was important to not shut him out.

“For the children she’s put on a brave face, and kept that relationship intact. He’s at the house this week, helping with the children, getting takeout for the family that is visiting,” Westfall said.

Agreeing with Lauer that it must be a difficult time for the children, Westfall said Elizabeth Edwards has been preparing them for her death for some time.

“She, years ago, starting writing a ‘dying letter,’ she called it, so she would have the advice to pass on and always be there with a mother's wisdom when she couldn’t be there physically,” Westfall said.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I myself do not forgive easily. An affair is a betrayal of trust and love in my opinion. A life you've built upon has been blown apart; the other person no longer devoted to your family. I could not get past an affair no matter what the circumstances. But that is my personal problem; if another person can do so then they are much stronger than I.
    Your thoughts run along similar lines to my own here.

People change, circumstances change, people fall in and out of love.

If you are in a relationship with a person and fall in love with somebody else, as happens so often, man up and face the situation. Have enough self-respect and respect for the person you once loved to tell them that you wish to leave them.

To not tell them, to sneak around and sleep with someone else behind their back, lying to them day in and day out is low, pathetic, cowardly and disgusting.

As far as wills go: I'm thinking more that I would want to make sure that my children are taken care of. Too many times when a spouse dies, the other takes up with a new person. Sometimes that new person resents the children from the previous marriage and gets rid of heirlooms, spends their college fund for themselves. If I found out who I thought was my love cheated on me, then I could no longer trust his character and thus must protect my children's future from his personal failures.
    And similar thoughts to me again here.

I'd want to protect my children. I'd ensure the will was arranged in such a way that they were covered as much as possible into their future.

And cut the cheating bitch/bastard out entirely.

It would be a shame to ruin my last few weeks having a stomach filled with bile and hate, and I'd do my best to put it out of my mind for more important matters, but not sure I'd be succeed in that.

And in that, to answer the question, I'd not bother pursuing the divorce for the triviality the marriage was evidently considered to be by the spouse, so long as leaving the marriage intact would not jeopardise my intention of bequeathing everything I owned to my children, and not a jot to the adulterer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I don't know. Do you want your last days defined by anger and spite against the person that's likely been closest to you your whole life? Do you want that to be the legacy your children inherit? And if you are Christian, do you want your unwillingness to forgive to land you a ticket to Hell? The better person would forgive and die a family, I think.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Wow, that was really fast. I suppose they got the news a few weeks ago and made preparations to release the news yesterday.

John Edwards is a douche bag.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

What I don't understand is why Elizabeth Edwards is a public figure. Let's see, "wife of a politician" seems to be her main contribution to the modern world.

Not to run her down or anything. I'm sure she was a swell person. But she just seems to be another random person coughed up by an eddy in the pop culture machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    What I don't understand is why Elizabeth Edwards is a public figure. Let's see, "wife of a politician" seems to be her main contribution to the modern world.

Not to run her down or anything. I'm sure she was a swell person. But she just seems to be another random person coughed up by an eddy in the pop culture machine.
    That's about it. Her husband ran for president and VP a few times and when she was down and out with cancer he was fucking some other woman and knocked her up. That's got magazine sales written all over it. Sad really. Really sad.
    The Rules

I really don't know what I would do. On one hand, I am not exactly a forgiving person when I have been betrayed. On the other hand, for the "sake of the children" and continuity in their lives, I could see holding off on the divorce.

I do know I would change my will and appoint an outside person as executor to make sure my kid(s) got what they deserved!

After as many years as John and Elizabeth were married, I am sure (in some unfathomable to me way) that having him with her at the end was a comfort to her. I am also positive that it was a comfort to the children! After all, he is their Dad, they love him, and they need all the support they can get right now!

RIP Elizabeth! You were a strong, brave lady to the end! A great role model for your children!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Was she? Was she? How do you know? What do you know beyond the soap opera? I like that she worked for breast cancer awareness. OK, we all would pretty much do that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Was she? Was she? How do you know? What do you know beyond the soap opera? I like that she worked for breast cancer awareness. OK, we all would pretty much do that, right?
    I didn't follow much of her post betrayal media tour, but I think her 'speaking out' about what her douche bag husband did is considered bravery. Didn't she write a book about it? Arn't political wives generally expected to keep their mouths shut when their ego-maniac husbands go sleeping around? Is that bravery? I don't know. Hope I never find out for sure.
    The Rules

Amen to that!

Look, dealing with serious hardship without curling up in a ball is brave enough. I'm just not comfortable with the lionization simply for having a fatal illness/cheating husband.