Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So there was a suicide bombing in Stockholm

Default So there was a suicide bombing in Stockholm

Sweden: Stockholm blasts kill one and injures two

One person has been killed and two others injured as two explosions rocked the centre of the Swedish capital, Stockholm, police say.
    A car blew up near the busy shopping street of Drottninggatan, and another explosion hit nearby minutes later.
    A man's body was discovered after the second blast.
    A police spokeswoman, Petra Sjolander, said the car contained gas canisters and that the cause of the explosions was being investigated.
    She said the car caught fire "following a series of explosions which could be those of gas canisters" inside the vehicle.
    Ms Sjolander said it was unclear if the two blasts were linked.
    "I can't confirm that the death is linked to the car explosion, but I can't rule it out either," AFP news agency quoted her as saying.
    The identities of the victims have not been released.
    A former employee of the Associated Press news agency, Gabriel Gabiro, was close to the second blast.
    "I saw some people crying, perhaps from the shock," he told the agency.
    "There was a man lying on the ground with blood coming out in the area of his belly, and with his personal belongings scattered around him."
    That's from Auntie Beeb, Aftonbladet are reporting in Swedish that a man blew one of six pipe bombs in his possession up, and himself in the process, after yelling something in Arabic.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Ah, Al Qaeda has finally turned it's sights on those notorious colonialist imperialist aggressors, the Swedish.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You're goddamn right they're colonialist aggressors

But damn that shit be close! We were supposed to be safe up here in the North

Tighter immigration policies ASAP

I love the smell of rising fascism
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

So far they've been smart enough not to actually bomb the Swedish. This is really too bad.

It was the Chinese Communists
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Now, is it me or are these Scandinavian terrorists not very apt while doing their bombings? They typically seem to kill themselves only in their attacks.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It was the Chinese Communists
    On his way to Oslo ?

Any updates on this? Seems to have faded a bit in the media over here...

A redditor witness did an AMA

300+ comments, so the page is likely to choke lesser computers, did get this quote earlier
    "Furthermore, they report, a letter threatening terrorist action was sent to Swedish officials prior to the two explosions. The author of the letter blamed Swedes for their silence regarding the Lars Vilks 2007 drawings depicting Mohammad as a dog"

I'm just gonna translate from the local rag, okay?

The Swedish police are suspecting a 28-year-old man of the deed, they're ransacking his place and not saying anything to the media. His bomb most likely went off prematurely. Someone interviewed the suspect's father, who was surprised and aghast. The Swedish Security Police (think Gestapo) have confirmed that in their view the attack was a terrorist strike. Police are "increasing their presence" in the city but are not raising any terror flags yet.

Now it's made the front page here too. So how long until you have to submit to an underwear scan when entering dense shopping districts?

Good thing he only killed himself, too bad for the injured folks hope they aren't in too bad shape.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Now it's made the front page here too. So how long until you have to submit to an underwear scan when entering dense shopping districts?

Good thing he only killed himself, too bad for the injured folks hope they aren't in too bad shape.
    The fun part: This "underwear scan" is, under certain circumstances, incapable of detecting bombs and even guns.

http://springerlink.com/content/g662...0/fulltext.pdf

Abstract: Little information exists on the performance of x-ray backscatter machines now being deployed through UK, US and other airports. We implement a Monte
    Carlo simulation using as input what is known about the x-ray spectra used for imaging, device specifications and available images to estimate penetration and
    exposure to the body from the x-ray beam, and sensitivity to dangerous contraband materials. We show that the body is exposed throughout to the incident x-rays, and
    that although images can be made at the exposure levels claimed (under 100 nanoGrey per view), detection of contraband can be foiled in these systems. Because
    front and back views are obtained, low Z materials can only be reliable detected if they are packed outside the sides of the body or with hard edges, while high Z materials are well seen when placed in front or back of the body, but not to the sides.
    Even if exposure were to be increased significantly, normal anatomy would make a dangerous amount of plastic explosive with tapered edges difficult if not impossible to detect.
    Which means we have a lot of security theater for little or no gain.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Security Theatre. No big deal from the Hollywood and Disney nation. Have you seen the TSA calendar yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The fun part: This "underwear scan" is, under certain circumstances, incapable of detecting bombs and even guns.

http://springerlink.com/content/g662...0/fulltext.pdf

Which means we have a lot of security theater for little or no gain.
    Busted by science, gotta love it!

Key words being 'in certain circumstances'.

Name any alternative solution 100% perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Now, is it me or are these Scandinavian terrorists not very apt while doing their bombings? They typically seem to kill themselves only in their attacks.
    Exactly. The guy who blew himself up is a dumbass - no virgins will be waiting for him. His only success was giving the world one less idiotic extremist to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Key words being 'in certain circumstances'.

Name any alternative solution 100% perfect.
    There's another problem to be considered: The rays themselves.

Now, the normal x-ray machine relies on the rays passing through your body, being absorbed only by denser material like bone.
    Backscatter x-ray relies on your whole skin absorbing the x-rays. Now, please set the volume of your skin in relation to the volume of your body and you'll see why there are valid concerns about the safety of those machines.

It has been my understanding that they use pretty high-energy x-rays for the backscattering machines because past 60 or 70 keV the Compton effect dominates over the photo-electric, i.e. very little energy is deposited into the person. And backscattering is the dominant direction for Compton, I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    It has been my understanding that they use pretty high-energy x-rays for the backscattering machines because past 60 or 70 keV the Compton effect dominates over the photo-electric, i.e. very little energy is deposited into the person. And backscattering is the dominant direction for Compton, I've been told.
    Still, I don't feel comfortable trusting underpaid grunts with a machine which emits ionizing radiation. Especially if said machine doesn't really offer any kind of real improvement.

Is there any scientific report showing a serious risk of harm from these machines? My understanding was these have been cleared as safe. The fact that grunts operate it shouldn't make a difference if the machine is safe, I radiate my food regularly and am just a grunt but because my home-radiation machine in my kitchen is passed as safe I'm not too worried.

Not that I think these machines are a particularly effective use of our time and money, but it is my understanding that the majority of these machines use millimeter wave detection and not xray backscatter, so the study is largely useless from that perspective.

RB: from a safety perspective, concerns on the xray backscatter are overblown - the total irradiation is very small. I haven't crunched the numbers, but it's possible that flying high in the atmosphere might expose you to more ionizing radiation than the scanners.

That being said, it's not like it's been around long enough for us to really know, and the mm-wave detectors use a technology that's much less studied than xrays in terms of their effect on humans. I'd say the risks are likely minimal but not zero.

Amazing how often the "bomb most likely went off prematurely." These sexually repressed Muslim terrorists need to get laid. I'm betting that "more mideast sex" = "fewer terrorists"

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Amazing how often the "bomb most likely went off prematurely." These sexually repressed Muslim terrorists need to get laid. I'm betting that "more mideast sex" = "fewer terrorists"
    That's why they have 100 virgins waiting for them. They must have a serious case of blue balls though!

Might be a little less bitter if they got some nookie, eh?

You're probably right. Sexual tension is very harmful - peer pressure doesn't help either.

FYI - I've suddenly got a mental image of the scene from Scary Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Is there any scientific report showing a serious risk of harm from these machines? My understanding was these have been cleared as safe. The fact that grunts operate it shouldn't make a difference if the machine is safe, I radiate my food regularly and am just a grunt but because my home-radiation machine in my kitchen is passed as safe I'm not too worried.
    That's a different kind of radiation and contained within a Faraday cage.

Point is the machine is objectively safe, so the end-user being a grunt is irrelevant.

Either we need proper and adequate safety training or we need the machine to be safe, we do necessarily not need both.

EDIT: Actually I think that was badly phrased on my part. The safer the machine, then the lower the threshold for what is "proper and adequate safety training"

I simply don't see the benefit. This security theater has holes like an Emmentaler and yields next to no returns.

So we have a machine which is supposedly harmless which does not serve a real purpose. Why do we need that machine again?

And you may now have a look at the Therac 25 incidents.