Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Hottest Year Again - Ho Hum...

Arrow A New Hottest Year Again - Ho Hum...

It seemed warmer to me. I was camping off Lake Superior in August and was able to easily swim and bathe in the Lake which typically is nearly intolerably cold even in mid summer. So, NASA says it was warmer than ever which is even more notable since 2010 was an La Nina year, meaning the Pacific surface was cooler than normal.

The thing that sucks is I'll be trying to retire and use up my Social Security and Medicare when the shit starts hitting the fan.... Have to cut the old folks loose 'cuz we gotta build some dikes around New York!!!!

NASA: 2010 Meteorological Year Warmest Ever
    by Eli Kintisch on 10 December 2010, 2:44 PM | Permanent Link | 17 Comments

Email Print | More

Previous Article Next Article

Enlarge Image
    Heating up. New data from NASA show that the global warming trend continues, with 2010 as the hottest year on record (inset). Missing Arctic sea ice may be contributing to the warming.
    Credit: iStockphoto/Thinkstock;(graph) NASA/GSFC

The 2010 meteorological year, which ended on 30 November, was the warmest in NASA's 130-year record, data posted by the agency today shows. Over the oceans as well as on land, the average global temperature for the 12-month period that began last December was 14.65˚C. That's 0.65˚C warmer than the average global temperature between 1951 and 1980, a period scientists use as a basis for comparison.

The 2010 meteorological year was slightly warmer than the previous warmest year, the 2005 calendar year, when the average temperature was 14.53˚C.

In 2010, temperatures measured over land alone were also the warmest ever, with instruments showing a December-November average of 14.85˚C. Combining this warming with above-average ocean temperatures led to the global average of 14.65˚C.

November brought frigid temperatures to certain areas of Europe. But the data, compiled by the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City, show that, globally, last month was the warmest November ever recorded, nearly 0.96˚C warmer than the 1951 to 1980 average for the month.

According to NASA climatologist and Goddard director James Hansen, the main driver for the increased warmth was the Arctic, where temperatures in Hudson Bay were "10˚C above normal" for November. That month, Hansen says, "sea ice was absent while normally that [body of water] is covered by sea ice." Water devoid of ice absorbs much more solar radiation than water covered with ice, which reflects much of the radiation back toward space.

The record temperatures occurred despite a moderate occurrence of La NiƱa, a phenomenon over the Pacific Ocean that tends to lead to cooler temperatures at the surface, affecting the global mean.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Indeed. Still shivering over here. Brrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Well, Michigan climate's only going to get better. It's all the Southern folk and the coastal-ties that will be screwed.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Well, Michigan climate's only going to get better. It's all the Southern folk and the coastal-ties that will be screwed.
    Where do you think they'll migrate
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not hot enough yet
    And probably won't be for the forseeable future. The Gulf Stream will shut down first which means that Northern Europe will become colder. Furthermore, the sea level won't rise at all in the North (Scandinavia will even gain land) - it's near the equator where things will become really problematic.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Those near the equator are pretty f***ed already, they don't get any luck

And Heavens forbid anyone try change that
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

It seemed warmer to me. I was camping off Lake Superior in August and was able to easily swim and bathe in the Lake which typically is nearly intolerably cold even in mid summer. So, NASA says it was warmer than ever which is even more notable since 2010 was an La Nina year, meaning the Pacific surface was cooler than normal.
    No, you see, this is part of a natural cycle!

The thing that sucks is I'll be trying to retire and use up my Social Security and Medicare when the shit starts hitting the fan.... Have to cut the old folks loose 'cuz we gotta build some dikes around New York!!!!
    Yeah, that's probably how it will play out.

Actually, the single biggest problem aside from actual land lost will be the worldwide collapse of most ecosystems. We're already losing ungodly amounts of alpine forests because certain beasties can get to high altitude trees that were previously not touched by said beasties. That will hurt all of us. A lot.

I find your sig particularly ironic in this thread.
    The Rules

Emphasis on "judicious."

Please, please, please give me global warming, because I am sitting here about to fucking freeze to death. In my house. Wearing layers. And fuzzy socks. And wrapped in an electric blanket.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

There is no such thing as global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    There is no such thing as global warming.
    Next you'll be something equally crazy, like there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Emphasis on "judicious."
    See Omega post.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    And Heavens forbid anyone try change that
    I've *personally* both raised and donated the equivalent of at least a thousand dollars for charities that affect poor Africans etc

What were you trying to say again?

I've *personally* both raised and donated the equivalent of at least a thousand dollars for charities that affect poor Africans etc

What were you trying to say again?
    Despite my affection for authoritarian states, I can't actually access your thoughts directly, but nice going on the internet tough guy stuff

Tough guy? What in that was tough?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Please, please, please give me global warming, because I am sitting here about to fucking freeze to death. In my house. Wearing layers. And fuzzy socks. And wrapped in an electric blanket.
    So you guys are getting actual winter weather down there, eh? It got down to 5 up here last night. I hate the sound the arch-cold snow makes when you step on it. Ugh. This is January weather dammit! And not even early January.
    The Rules

So you guys are getting actual winter weather down there, eh? It got down to 5 up here last night. I hate the sound the arch-cold snow makes when you step on it. Ugh. This is January weather dammit! And not even early January.
    It's terrible.

Still hasn't made it above fucking freezing outside, either.

Huh...we got rain over the last couple of days...

Weather guys advised that if it was snow....40 inches...

I'll take Global Warming!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Huh...we got rain over the last couple of days...

Weather guys advised that if it was snow....40 inches...

I'll take Global Warming!
    You don't typically see that much snow because the colder air can't hold as much moisture. So where abouts is this rainy place?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    It's terrible.

Still hasn't made it above fucking freezing outside, either.
    Any snow?
    The Rules

Remember that a more accurate term is climate change. All model predict more extreme weather, and predict some places where teh mean temp will be substantially colder.

Like Europe. Ha ha! Suckers!
    The Rules

You don't typically see that much snow because the colder air can't hold as much moisture. So where abouts is this rainy place?
    <Looks at avatar>

Maine. (yes, that's a State)
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I saw that but didn't want to make any assumptions. You really think I'm in Crankistan? Anyway, if I had to guess about Maine weather right now, it would involve cold and snow and stuff. I'm surprised its rain.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Remember that a more accurate term is climate change. All model predict more extreme weather, and predict some places where teh mean temp will be substantially colder.
    Because the climate currently is calm and placid.

Man, we almost moved to Portland, and it was the weather that decided me. OK, that and the third world economy.

Edit: I love the city of Portland though!

Because the climate currently is calm and placid.
    Yes, actually. The real damning fact about climate change is the RATE of change. Unprecedented without asteroids. Since no asteroids, the only parsimonious explanation is another deus ex machina, us. That alone should be sufficient to convince most people of anthropogenic climate change. Given the impressive mechanistic data I don't see how anybody can honestly fuss. And the mechanism has been there fore over a century, since Arrhenius postulated the Greenhouse Effect based on earlier described properties of CO2. It ain't profound, as was predicted before they could actually measure the effects.