Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New Hottest Year Again - Ho Hum...

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Man, we almost moved to Portland, and it was the weather that decided me. OK, that and the third world economy.

Edit: I love the city of Portland though!
    Portland gets old fast (Well, Portland, Maine anyway). Parking is a bitch (but that is true anywhere I guess) and between that and the parking bans due to snow...you made a good choice. (and the crappy job prospects)
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I saw that but didn't want to make any assumptions. You really think I'm in Crankistan? Anyway, if I had to guess about Maine weather right now, it would involve cold and snow and stuff. I'm surprised its rain.
    Maine did have a warmer season...in fact we had an extended growing season...some orchards and farms had bumper crops. (So I had lots of apples and blue berries this year...not to mention potatoes from the in-laws). The tourists has lots of extra stuff to buy!

Any snow?
    Just flurries. There was some coverage of grassy areas, but just a thin layer, nothing worth mentioning. There was more further north in Georgia.

I think tomorrow is supposed to make it slightly above freezing, with a rain/freezing rain/sleet combo. Sounds delightful.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Maine did have a warmer season...in fact we had an extended growing season...some orchards and farms had bumper crops. (So I had lots of apples and blue berries this year...not to mention potatoes from the in-laws). The tourists has lots of extra stuff to buy!
    MI had an extra long growing season too, mostly owing to a really super spring. Farmers had record yields.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Portland gets old fast (Well, Portland, Maine anyway). Parking is a bitch (but that is true anywhere I guess) and between that and the parking bans due to snow...you made a good choice. (and the crappy job prospects)
    All relative, I'd guess. Have you ever lived in a city before? If not, then cities seem crazy. That was my attitude when I moved to Seattle for grad school. Then I really came to love it.

Some cities suck, though. But I think you'd find that Portland compares favorably. Nice small city with character.

Portland, OR is also a great city, though larger.

Remember that a more accurate term is climate change. All model predict more extreme weather, and predict some places where teh mean temp will be substantially colder.
    Which *as you and I have argued about before* means the models are wrong because the geologic record indicates weather will get more moderate *mostly via milder winters* So more rain, less snow, less violent storms. And yeah, climate change is technically more accurate, but only because it's more vague and general, not because it's a more precise term. It means the overall global trend could go anywhere, and, assuming all this research is right, we do in fact know in which direction that global trend is going. But you and I are at an impasse because you don't trust the geologic record, thinking it's too ephemeral to derive useful data, and I don't trust your models, thinking they aren't accurate enough to derive useful data.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

All relative, I'd guess. Have you ever lived in a city before? If not, then cities seem crazy. That was my attitude when I moved to Seattle for grad school. Then I really came to love it.

Some cities suck, though. But I think you'd find that Portland compares favorably. Nice small city with character.

Portland, OR is also a great city, though larger.
    LOL...I've lived in Portland Maine and Queens NY....

Everyone outside of Maine loves Portland...then you start to live there...and you get to see all the crap under the nice small city feel...it's nice, but again it's a small city and after a while you've seen all it has to offer.

Maine is full of monsters. I've read the books.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Shhh! You will scare off the tourists, and then we will have to feed the monsters with our cows.

Maine is full of monsters. I've read the books.
    You mean... there are Republicans in Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    You mean... there are Republicans in Maine?
    For the first time in 30 years.

So terrifying.

Today is meant to be above freezing - but they are promising me rain/sleet/freezing rain for my afternoon and evening entertainment.

Tomorrow will be in the 50s.

Freezing rain can be very beautiful on the trees. And when a breeze comes through.... wow. There's nothing I've heard before or since that sounds like that.
    The Rules

LOL...I've lived in Portland Maine and Queens NY....

Everyone outside of Maine loves Portland...then you start to live there...and you get to see all the crap under the nice small city feel...it's nice, but again it's a small city and after a while you've seen all it has to offer.
    Heh, no intent to offend. So I'd guess it ain't the urban thang that turned you off.

I know what you mean, though. My wife was in grad school in Vancouver while I was in Seattle. We'd tell everybody that Vancouver was a great place to visit but kind of dull to live in, and they wouldn't get it. Seattle was a much more fun city to live in. I suspect that has changed somewhat since I left in 97.

Freezing rain can be very beautiful on the trees. And when a breeze comes through.... wow. There's nothing I've heard before or since that sounds like that.
    Not so beautiful on power lines...

By Tear
    Heh, no intent to offend. So I'd guess it ain't the urban thang that turned you off.

I know what you mean, though. My wife was in grad school in Vancouver while I was in Seattle. We'd tell everybody that Vancouver was a great place to visit but kind of dull to live in, and they wouldn't get it. Seattle was a much more fun city to live in. I suspect that has changed somewhat since I left in 97.
    No offense taken... Yep yer Vancouver experience sounded like my Portland.

I did only live in Queens for two years...but I loved living there and in the NYC area. If I had lived there for 10 years, maybe I would have gotten jaded.

I doubt it. NYC is Rome, to paraphrase Lennon.

I think our reaction to Vancouver was just that the people, who really make the character of a city, were pretty bland, in a way that only Canadians can do bland. So while the setting was stunning, it really wasn't a very colorful city. In contrast, at the time Seattle was the youngest major city in the US, Seattle had a history of colorful and interesting neighborhoods, but at that time there was a huge influx of excited 20 somethings. There was a remarkable energy. Haven't been back since 99, but I doubt that energy has remained as those same folks turned middle aged, and the city became a Bay Area lite.