Thread: Community Service

Default Community Service

You can post about personal attitudes; if you were raised a certain way as a child, or came to think and act a certain way in adulthood. Anecdotes welcomed.

I'm gonna try a poll, even though my polls usually suck.

Fuck it, I can't figure out how to change my own goddamm thread and add a poll.

Obligation vs Responsibility, how are they different, parse that out. Then apply that to Community Service. Or vice versa.
    Last edited by GGT; 12-17-2010 at 10:23 AM.

I was taught to give to those less fortunate than I am! Admittedly, this last year it didn't work, but I tried! I helped cook for the Santa's Helpers dinner last year...gonna again this year...and donate what and where I can.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

But is that an Obligation or a Responsibility?

(I'm still trying to figure out why my screen went huge, like for the blind HUGE, when trying to make the poll. )

Anyway, I'm not obliged to give or contribute to my community, but I feel it's my responsibility.

Frankly, I'd like to see about 40 million Baby Boomers in the US say they feel responsible for tackling our debt and deficit. That's about half of the whole demographic group.

Regardless of how many dollars they've contributed to SS or Medicare over their lifetime, plenty of them could simply choose to opt out. We see them every day, the senior retiree with a pension, wintering in Florida, summering in Maine, buying a new Crown Victoria or some other geezer car every year, visiting physicians they could pay out of pocket (without using Medicare). Millions of Baby Boomers are already living a nice life, and there are more to come. Post WWII born in 1949 + 62 = 2011. We're going to see a huge number of seniors tapping into SS and Medicare, plus cashing out of the stock market or mutual funds.

They're not obliged to forego Medicare or SS, but perhaps some would feel responsible to do that, for their kids or grandkids?