Thread: Marketing, Children, and a poor country's GDP

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar

Default Marketing, Children, and a poor country's GDP

(Sorry for stealing the title format, GGT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCT7h-jwCWA

This is a documentary about marketing and children, and it borders on horrifying.
    Apparently, I am exposed to about 3000 commercial messages every day.

When I go out to a store and buy something, is it even really me making the purchase, or the marketing?
    I enjoy blank walls.

When I go out to a store and buy something, is it even really me making the purchase, or the marketing?
    You better make sure it's you, cause damn sure it's your cash they're spending.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Nobody's forcing you to buy anything (except maybe Congress soon).

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPointer View Post
    Nobody's forcing you to buy anything (except maybe Congress soon).
    Tell that to the five year olds who can barely make any kind of decisions and yet are already marketed to.
    I enjoy blank walls.

They can also barely make purchases. Bring back abusive child labor laws like civilized countries have and you'll have a point.

If they aren't in the mines by age five, they just get lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Tell that to the five year olds who can barely make any kind of decisions and yet are already marketed to.
    Tell mommy and daddy that they don't need to buy everything that dear little Johnny asks for. Fair is fair, there's no reason they shouldn't be marketed to.

Tell mommy and daddy that they don't need to buy everything that dear little Johnny asks for. Fair is fair, there's no reason they shouldn't be marketed to.
    They exploit the inherent inability of Young children to distinguish advertisements from reality to make more money then several poor nation's GDP.

That doesn't bother you in the slightest or seem wrong to you?
    I enjoy blank walls.

It's fine to take advantage of infants' impressionable minds to make a buck?

Parents worry too much about their children liking them all the time. Guess what, little Janey or Johnny will hate you at times no matter what you do. If they like you when they're older and are able to be happy and support themselves, you probably did it right somehow. Lucky bastard.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Well, i'm not gonna watch all 70 minutes of this, but i get the gist.

If you think marketing can really be responsible for making all your purchases alone, you are either highly deludes, or actually have such a weak will that you actually want people to decide how to live your life for you. Advertisement is generally not some "super-mind-bug" that can control you, rather it's a message and a suggestion that "our stuff is better than the competitor". Children, of course, can be coerced by ads alone because of their impressionability but any true power excess here is likely from bad parents who buy everything for their kids. It's all-right for a kid t o want something he/she sees on TV.

They exploit the inherent inability of Young children to distinguish advertisements from reality to make more money then several poor nation's GDP.

That doesn't bother you in the slightest or seem wrong to you?
    The children are not a captive audience. If mommy and daddy don't want their child to ask for stuff, they can turn the TV off or switch to a channel which only advertises itself, like Disney Channel (although I do find it interesting that Toon Disney does use outside advertisers...). I would oppose it if the children were a captive audience, like Channel One News, which is mostly advertisements, playing in public schools.

The children are not a captive audience. If mommy and daddy don't want their child to ask for stuff, they can turn the TV off or switch to a channel which only advertises itself, like Disney Channel (although I do find it interesting that Toon Disney does use outside advertisers...). I would oppose it if the children were a captive audience, like Channel One News, which is mostly advertisements, playing in public schools.
    I have seen pro-life commercials on Toon Disney during kiddy movies. It's fucking offensive as all hell.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I have seen pro-life commercials on Toon Disney during kiddy movies. It's fucking offensive as all hell.
    Would you like them to advertise this?

I believe you are referring to advertisements against women rights. Don't play into their bullshit.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I believe you are referring to advertisements against women rights. Don't play into their bullshit.
    So murder is a woman's right now?

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Would you like them to advertise this?
    Strangely enough, I would prefer for the issue not to come up during The Three Mouseketeers at all. I don't think that sort of bullshit should be directed at teens, either, but there is no reason at all for a 6 year old to be hearing the nonsense at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

Abortion isn't murder.

Abortion isn't murder.
    It's a person. It's murder.

Wrong, and categorically wrong. A murder is an unlawful killing. (Of a person) Whether or not we are idiots and consider fetuses to be persons, it is legal in civilized nations to terminate them. Try again, sparkster

The CC has done this argument to death, and unless you have something new and brilliantly insightful to say on the subject I'm not planning on doing it again.

Since the chances of your being brilliant or insightful are less than the chances of my daughter getting a free ride at Harvard, well, enjoy yourself.

But it has the potential to be a person, and in the majority of cases will become one. Isnt destroying a person pre-emptively a bad thing? Almost as bad, you might say. Bad enough to be considered killing. After all, we dont say its worse to kill a 90-year old than a 10 year old. Or worse to kill a 40 year old than a 20 year old.

Edit-
    Thats right, i didnt even read the OP before posting. What a prick i am. Shut up already.

Anyway, Mario - a little known fact about me is that i once worked as a door to door salesman. I was immensely poor at this job, but i remember something from my first day that struck a chord.

I was asked "When was the last time you bought something you saw on an advert on TV?"

I was a bit stuck for an answer, and after mumbling a bit the person who asked me said that the statistics for people buying products are minimal - since modern people a subjected to so many adverts every waking moment, we become almost numb to them. They only really help shape a brands image and get across information such as new products or developments. Actual sales were motivated by other factors.

A less interesting aside is that door-to-door sales is an extremely effective form of sales. The salespeople work on commission so cost nothing to the company, unless they sell, whereupon they make a profit. Moreover, people find it much much harder to say no to a person than to ignore an advertisement.
    Last edited by Spawnie; 01-26-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Bad enough to be considered unlawful killing.
    Fixed ('cause I think you left a word out). Nobody disagrees that it is killing.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    I was asked "When was the last time you bought something you saw on an advert on TV?"
    And when was the last time you bought something from a door-to-door seller? I mean your actual dwelling front door, not your computer's window.

*snip*

A less interesting aside is that door-to-door sales is an extremely effective form of sales. The salespeople work on commission so cost nothing to the company, unless they sell, whereupon they make a profit. Moreover, people find it much much harder to say no to a person than to ignore an advertisement.
    It's not effective when nobody is home, or they're all at work, or they don't answer their door to strangers. I've bought wrapping paper and magazine subscriptions from kids in the neighborhood, and anyone with a shovel after a snowstorm (if I have cash). Otherwise they can go to hell.

I do miss the Fuller Brush Man, tho. Anyone else old enough to remember that? I also remember encyclopedia and vacuum cleaner sellers coming to our house when I was little, appealing to the Woman of the House, my mom. We also used to have Milk Delivery and they were salespeople, too. Trying to push a new ice cream or whatever.

That just doesn't work in this digital age.