Thread: Merge Off Topic and General Discussion?

Default Merge Off Topic and General Discussion?

One big place always appealed to me and what I felt helped the CC, curious what others think...

Default Re: Merge Off Topic and General Discussion?

Doesn't matter to me.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

As long as the stuffy sticks-in-the-mud don't mind us krazy kids posting pictures and chat threads, I don't care

Particularly since Off Topic isn't my pen anymore

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

You should totally identify the stuffy stick in the mud by name.

I agree. Everything in one forum works better
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

I like the idea of separate forums.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    I like the idea of separate forums.
    Only due to your robust, nay bursting homosexuality
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I think this forum needs a rule on HOMOPHOBIA.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I think this forum needs a rule on HOMOPHOBIA.

I have issued you a notice of pwnification.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I have issued you a notice of pwnification.

The logic of having two separate sub-forums is so that people who don't want to read about other's personal affairs or have to go through numerous threads to find one with a discussion would be able to avoid that hassle. It also would allow us to have looser standards in the off-topic forum. Having said that, I don't really feel strongly about this topic.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I don't feel too strongly either way, as Loki said.

As one of the older geezers here who seems to have problems with navigating a new site, it's my impression that an off topic chat forum would be helpful to the serious posters who want a designated area to "debate", as well as helping the moderators manage their time "infracting interlopers".

Probably depends on how you guys set up the rules of conduct.

I like the idea of separate forums too, for the reasons Loki gave. But this isn't something I feel strongly enough about to fight for.

I'm not too bothered, but used to the idea of just one forum and think it works well. Can view the forum and see updates to "happy/groove/wtf/picture etc" and all the more chatty threads as well as all the "moar seriousNess" threads.

I think ultimately even if we keep 2 people will gravitate to whichever becomes the more active one anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Plus, people will always end up posting 'in the wrong forum'. If it's all in one, don't matter.

I don't particularly care either way though
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

I think 2 forums will work just nicely with the 'view active topics', would also be nice if we could add 'my active topics' to keep tracks of threads you've posted in that are still getting new posts.

Having more than one forum does make it easier for people to avoid those 'adult' thingies, makes it easier for parents to police their children, looks better if you're going for some sort of integration with the blog and last but not least; it is a sign of optimism that we should need more than a single forum
    Congratulations America

Much prefer one forum.

Too lazy to go clicking into different forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2
    Much prefer one forum.

Same here.

I like one forum.

Only the "quality" off topic threads generally make the cut and stick around for more than a few pages, so I don't think the front page would be cluttered with them.

I think fairly quickly, an "us" and "them" divide would form if people only stuck to posting in one of the forums.

One forum. One love, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2
    Much prefer one forum.

You don't need to click on the forums if you use the 'active topics' link on the front page.
    Congratulations America

I am in favour of one forum too, but it isn't really a big deal to me.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy
    I am in favour of one forum too, but it isn't really a big deal to me.
    Actually I am in favour of a host of forums with hundreds if not thousands of people posting in it.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    Actually I am in favour of a host of forums with hundreds if not thousands of people posting in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Can someone attach a poll to the thread?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I would hope my opinion makes a difference, but in light of reality I just don't care.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

It is annoying more and more that they are separate, so I'm changing my meh vote to merge them.

Seeing what's in the two places makes me more and more happy they're separate.

Somebody make a poll.

Done.