Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Being forced to work for someone else. Unconstitutional?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Probably elementary school, same as every other kid.
    You filthy wench.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    I am still a bit amused the fact that people have to shovel side walks by hand.
    Job killing snow blowers are too noisy and they pollute the air. They also don't work that well if the snow is too deep or too shallow.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Which reminds me: Didn't your country have some massive problem with money? To the tune that they reduced spending everywhere?

And you now want this same country to up your taxes further so they can spend money on something you can very well do yourself?

What kind of bizarre logic is that? Didn't your country have to save money?
    No, I want people to walk on the fucking snow, or the road, or clear it if they want to.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No, I want people to walk on the fucking snow, or the road, or clear it if they want to.
    Right. And if the fucking snow has turned to fucking ice (which it inevitably will) and the road is full of cars, where am I supposed to walk then?

Are you able to think further than 5 meters of farm lane?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

So you want people to shovel snow in front of your house? Arn't you the lazy fucker. What a great neighbor. Do you let your dog shit in their yard too and insist they clean it up for you? Do you think its a great idea for everyone to start using the roads to walk around because lazy shit heads don't bother to shovel their sidewalks? I thought roads were for driving cars and it was sidewalks that were for walking. Weird. I suppose you'll bitch and complain about paying your health care taxes which will be that much higher from all the slip and falls on the icy sidewalks and all the pedestrians hit by cars. How fucking stupid can you be anyway? Jesus fucking christ.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Job killing snow blowers are too noisy and they pollute the air. They also don't work that well if the snow is too deep or too shallow.
    I'm from Switzerland, not some low snow country like RB. And the streets are ploughed the same way, I can't see why streets should have priority over side walks.

@Khen this seems to be from Germany, is Munich an exception? These are definitely side ways ploughers.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I was joking. I spent years shoveling my driveway and walks by hand and when I had the money I bought a snow blower. Much better.
    The Rules

Hey guys I like my senior citizens out and about and they could really use a break from those obstructed sidewalks kthx octagenarians have a right to walk as well, it's only decent and prudent to take measures to ensure their safety while they're out roaming.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

You know, I wouldn't be that surprised if this used to be done by the government. But then people complained because government did something they could do themselves, so now they can choose between doing it themselves, having the neighbors do it, or pay someone to do it.

Though rand seems to think it shouldn't necessarily be done at all to begin with. But since he cares so much about 80 year old people: guess who slip, fall and break bones most often?

Is there a government spending thread around these parts that doesn't boil down to Rand wanting to know how its going to improve his immediate life?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Is there a government spending thread around these parts that doesn't boil down to Rand wanting to know how its going to improve his immediate life?
    No kidding. Its such an idiotic point of view I find myself wondering if he's trolling, if he's trying to parse out some ideologically pure concept but would never take it seriously in AR, is he just plain naive and stupid, or what. Someone living openly and freely by the personal coda that if it doesn't benefit me personally and right now, then I don't care about it and don't want it, is not someone I want for a neighbor, a friend, in my government, in my company, anywhere around me. That person cannot be trusted or depended upon for anything. That person isn't going to run into a burning building to save your child, they arn't going to cover your back in a battle, they arn't going to testify for you in court, they arn't going to come and pick you up when you're stranded on the side of the road. A society composed of people living by that ethic wouldn't be a society.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Though rand seems to think it shouldn't necessarily be done at all to begin with. But since he cares so much about 80 year old people: guess who slip, fall and break bones most often?
    British 80-year-olds, but there's an easy solution for that: devolve the NHS so that everyone dies before 70.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I was joking. I spent years shoveling my driveway and walks by hand and when I had the money I bought a snow blower. Much better.
    You know, I wouldn't be that surprised if this used to be done by the government. But then people complained because government did something they could do themselves, so now they can choose between doing it themselves, having the neighbors do it, or pay someone to do it.
    I just think that if the local gov buys a few blowers it gets much cheaper then if everyone has to pay his own.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Easements provide for public use of private property.
    I never thought I'd say this, but yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I didn't fucking say that.
    Wow, I abjectly apologize. I didn't even notice that. Sometimes my quote feature will throw up previously tagged quotes, and I must have just failed to delete your all the way and spliced it to another. Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but yes, exactly. I'm a shit sucking vampire. I eat babies and I love that job killing health care bill. Beyotch.

Wow, I abjectly apologize. I didn't even notice that. Sometimes my quote feature will throw up previously tagged quotes, and I must have just failed to delete your all the way and spliced it to another. Fixed.
    I've never noticed anything go wrong with my quote function.
    The Rules

You really want nana walking in the street, competing with cars and trucks, on slick or icy roads?

I've never noticed anything go wrong with my quote function.
    I meant that in the "reply with quote" window it will occasionally bring up posts that weren't checked this time around, but to which I had replied in a previous post. Interpolating, I think it brought up a previous Dread quote, and I accidentally spliced that abstracted quote to Dread's header.

So, a quirk of the system coupled with my carelessness. And my notorious laziness in proofreading my posts.

(I've had the same problem with my quote button at times.)

Those German plows are cute! We don't have tiny ones like that.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleri...lo-to-billings

Yeah, Euros seem to make cute little vehicles.

But I'll note that these are likely to be side-walk-specific, an under-represented market in the US. My alma mater in MN had the standard little carts that they used to zip around campus the rest of the year, but with little rotating brushes mounted on front. I was impressed when once we had 12 inches overnight in less than 12 hours, yet the sidewalks were spotless on the way to class in the morning.

Anyways, back on topic... Apparently shoveling snow brings out the worst in sprightly octogenarians.

Elderly Swedes bloodied in snow shovel brawl

Published: 6 Jan 11 12:48 CET

As the two elderly men were unable to reach resolve their dispute amicably, the disagreement turned ever more heated, soon escalating to a full-out fight, with the men using their snow shovels as weapons.

"Something happened that upset one of the neighbours, who then attacked, while the other one defended himself. It started out with a little shove, then some chaos ensued," Nils-Erik Eriksson, media relations officer at the Jönköping police force, told the local newspaper J-Nytt.

No one was seriously injured in the snowy brawl, although one of the men went to the hospital with a bump on his head and some scratches. The two neighbours have now reported each other to the police for assault, reported the radio station Sveriges Radio Jönköping.

I'm trying to picture what Jackie Chan could do with a snow shovel fight....

Grumpy old men.

Look what I found!

http://i-shovel.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    I meant that in the "reply with quote" window it will occasionally bring up posts that weren't checked this time around, but to which I had replied in a previous post. Interpolating, I think it brought up a previous Dread quote, and I accidentally spliced that abstracted quote to Dread's header.

So, a quirk of the system coupled with my carelessness. And my notorious laziness in proofreading my posts.
    I know, dingdong. Didn't you read what I quoted you saying???
    The Rules

Who did Being work for before, btw?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Dunno, but he pulled out the word "easements," which is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Who did Being work for before, btw?
    Huh, what made you ask that question?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Misread thread title.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The elderly, which brings us back to both my original concerns:

1: Why should the elderly do it?
    2: Why should an amateur be made to do it (badly)

As mentioned up-thread, this was started because people who genuinely wanted to do it voluntarily were doing it badly, so it was dangerous and people could sue. You think with those who couldn't care or are short on time etc and do a half-arsed job of it will do it better than those who chose to do it in the first place? Of course not!

What's worse than snow? Ice. What's worse than Ice? Black Ice.

The way I see it there are three options with the snow:

1: It's only cleared by those who choose to clear it.
    2: It's cleared badly by everyone
    3: It's cleared well by a professional.

#2, which I'm vehemently objecting to, is the worst of both worlds. It doesn't enable the elderly to walk about, it will still be dangerous, it could even be worse. Yet it causes a lot of harm, with no tangible benefit. If amateurs clear the path leaving a lot of black ice behing the only people who'll be able to safely walk on the path are those that could safe walk on ice in the first place!

Sometimes in life only the extremes work, sitting on a barbed wire fence, standing in the middle of the road, will get you hurt. Either leave people to do it voluntarily, or if its so necessary for the public interest then pay for a few machines and get it done properly.