Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    I love science too. It would be nice if humanity could settle down there. Don't you think?
    I think the moon would be useful as a construction and maintenance hub for a space industry, maybe for resources, and as a platform for various sorts of science. I also think the moon would make a great vacation destination, especially if the could done in some large spaces. But I think it would probably not be a great place to live permanently.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Well, I like the outdoors some; backpacking and such. Cool breezes, fresh air, the occasional evening fire. On the Moon you wouldn't have blue skies or a summer thunderstorm ... I guess if you had a big dome, even underground, you could simulate a lot of that stuff. But the cost of building a habitat like that would be huge with little return on investment. And in our civilization, you know what that means. Not gonna do it. So moon miners and space craft construction workers will live in tight little boxes buried under regolith with their ceilings painted blue and tree wallpaper. Hence the "I wouldn't want to live there...."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Damn it, Chacha.

We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

WTF
    The Rules

You stole your routine from Sesame Street. Sesame Street a long ass time ago.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

No no no. It's parallel thought processes leading to the same conclusion. It just goes to show that in a world with such a long recorded history and so many people it is completely impossible to have an original idea. Damn.... Well, not that there's anything original about guessing that life in a Moon colony would likely suck.
    The Rules