Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuckin' tidal forces, how do they work?

It doesn't feel that way to me. And madness doesn't require much time, it sort of rides along with whatever you happen to be doing.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Being mad and angry concurrently I imagine would be rather time-consuming though, or delightful depending on how your day is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Being mad and angry concurrently I imagine would be rather time-consuming though, or delightful depending on how your day is going.
    I don't know about that
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I don't know about that
    I do.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

I don't know about that
    True, I've never heard anyone described as 'delightfully angry'.

Wraithy, gimme my reply with quote for the mobile theme already, damn it. Or I'll have to demonstrate what delightfully angry actually looks like.

Wraithy, gimme my reply with quote for the mobile theme already, damn it. Or I'll have to demonstrate what delightfully angry actually looks like.
    I wouldn't give it to Flixy, and I actually like him, so why would I give it to you?

The way vBulletin is set up, I can't put it in the mobile theme without adding a whole lot of overhead to the mobile theme, which would defeat its purpose of being an extremely light-weight theme.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Not you, Aggie. Of course you were joking. But Aggie's joke was very deadpan. Like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    I hope he is joking, life gets a little more frightening every time I realise that some people really do like/relate to guys like Bill Doh'Reilly - I mean people other than Lewk of course.
    I was trying to rationalize.

Even if he was meaning to say the slightly less idiotic things you were rationalizing, they were still idiotic. Nothing in the natural world around us is a proof for God. And to fall back on the "i don't understand why the world is so consistent all the time so god exists" for anyone of moderate intelligence and education is shameful. Should be shameful, I guess. That's a community thing, isn't it? Shame I mean. Do something stupid and if the community isn't aghast, then its not shameful. So if this isn't shameful, its really all our faults, because we accept and even embrace lunacy. Damn.
    The Rules

Nothing in the natural world around us is a proof for God.(
    Paging Strong Anthropic. Strong Anthropic Principle, please respond. Is life as we know it proof, strictly speaking? No. Of course, most of the science you like to focus on is still shy of strict proofs as well, you're just positive the data will firm up someday.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Paging Strong Anthropic. Strong Anthropic Principle, please respond. Is life as we know it proof, strictly speaking? No. Of course, most of the science you like to focus on is still shy of strict proofs as well, you're just positive the data will firm up someday.
    The universe is pretty neat, but the fact that it exists, and we exist within it, is not a proof that a super-natural god exists. Not sure why you're conflating that with whatever other science you're hinting at. Are you suggesting that because I accept that global warming is occurring then I ought to accept that god must exist simply because the universe is just so for humanity to exist?
    The Rules

But science makes more sense than any religion. So even if it cannot be proven it is more plausible. Plus if there was a god, no religion is correct because all religions contradict the world we live in.

The universe is pretty neat, but the fact that it exists, and we exist within it, is not a proof that a super-natural god exists. Not sure why you're conflating that with whatever other science you're hinting at. Are you suggesting that because I accept that global warming is occurring then I ought to accept that god must exist simply because the universe is just so for humanity to exist?
    I'm a bit confused too. The strong anthropic principle states that any universe must at some point contain observers, yeah? It denices the necessity of a God. I'm not sure why it was brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Calm down, everyone. I'm pretty sure Bill was just saying "How can you explain that we have a moon and an earth and a sun, and just the right conditions for life? Is it just an astronomical coincidence?"
    Until there is evidence to the contrary, yes it is.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm a bit confused too. The strong anthropic principle states that any universe must at some point contain observers, yeah? It denices the necessity of a God. I'm not sure why it was brought up.
    I thought he was criticizing me for accepting the anthropic principle and suggesting an inconsistency in thought because I accept some science he regards as sketchy.
    The Rules

There is no God. If there is He is cruel and terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I think he's just more like the Dude, and doesn't give a shit.

At least the Dude had White Russians. If it rains vodka I will believe.

Maybe it's actually Walter that's God, and his cruelty is due to this being a league game.

You place too much importance on the affairs of humanity. If there is a God, and that God is the one that created the universe, then that God likely has little interest in what we do or what happens to us. No more, maybe, than the interest you take in an individual bacteria living under your thumbnail. Whatever this universe is for, as a creation, it's age, size and structure make it pretty clear that at best we are of peripheral interest.
    The Rules

At least the Dude had White Russians. If it rains vodka I will believe.
    Are you as melancholy and contemplative as your avatar?
    The Rules

You said one will never find God in the natural world. You say this because you reject God as exclusive from science. Science doesn't seem to think that's necessarily the case, but then, as you're repeatedly demonstrated, you just find science to be a decent excuse for believing whatever the hell you've decided to believe anyway.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Of course, most of the science you like to focus on is still shy of strict proofs as well, you're just positive the data will firm up someday.
    Science doesn't seem to think that's necessarily the case, but then, as you're repeatedly demonstrated, you just find science to be a decent excuse for believing whatever the hell you've decided to believe anyway.
    Sticking my nose in here, what do you mean that science is shy on strict proofs? Can you give examples?

Science is an excuse for whatever EyeKhan decides to believe in? You're not making a lot of sense.

Let me tell you something that does make sense. There are so many 'religions' in this world because mankind is the most intelligent animal on this planet - so much so that we want to understand where we came from, why we are here, etc. We're intelligent because we have evolved very successfully and this process has been scientifically proven, as it has been for hundreds of other species. It is only in the last 100 years that we've understood this evolutionary process, so the best theories people could come up with before revolved around some form of deity and this is why almost every single civilisation we know of has believed in a different deity.
    Hundreds of years ago mankind thought the world was flat, until science and exploration proved that to be wrong.
    400 years ago we thought everything revolved around the sun, until science proved that wrong.

Once you truly understand evolution by natural selection and realise that actually, there is nothing in this world that science cannot explain, you'll see that the human race is just another species living on this planet. There is absolutely no need for a god of any kind to A) put us here or, B) listen to all our pathetic whining or singing every Sunday.
    Last edited by xaero1; 01-12-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

Are you as melancholy and contemplative as your avatar?
    Not at all. I'm a pretty upbeat person. The lack of sleep has made me a bit more rough than normal though.

Have you seen The Big Lebowski? I was playing off of that

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Maybe it's actually Walter that's God, and his cruelty is due to this being a league game.
    Over the line! Mark it zero!

You said one will never find God in the natural world. You say this because you reject God as exclusive from science. Science doesn't seem to think that's necessarily the case, but then, as you're repeatedly demonstrated, you just find science to be a decent excuse for believing whatever the hell you've decided to believe anyway.
    Fine. Never say never.

I genuinely hope we do find evidence for god in the natural world, that would be great. Sagan imagined finding some sort of message buried in pi or the like. Something like that would be a truely phenomenal and wondrous discovery.

I understand you value religous faith and you regard the idea of believing in something not purported to be handed down from god, or that disagrees with something purported to be handed down from god, contemptable. In the end, you and all of us believe in "whatever the hell you've decided to believe." So you've decided to accept beliefs purported to be of divine origin, despite there being no evidence they are legitimate. Fine. I've decided to believe that anything purporting to be divinely inspired needs to have some reasonable level of evidence supporting it before I take it seriously. Human memory and history's capacity for error and humanity's demostrated willingness to decieve and exploit each other is significant enough to caution me away from accepting mythology as truth. And knowing you know this, I find your contempt mystifying.
    The Rules

Not at all. I'm a pretty upbeat person. The lack of sleep has made me a bit more rough than normal though.

Have you seen The Big Lebowski? I was playing off of that
    Funny you should ask. I saw it a long time ago and lately I've been seeing a number of references to it (not just here, some friends of mine named their new dog "The Dude") so I watched 85% of it again last night. Will finish today. It's better than I remember.
    The Rules

For all of you defending Bill. Suck my prepubescent dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJ9yJpR_DA

Vulgar tween.
    The Rules

Who was defending O'Reilly?