Thread: Wii games

Default Wii games

This thread could serve to discuss everything about Wii games.

I have noticed that many Wii games do not seize the motion capabilities of the remote and uses the remote basically as another gamepad. In Lucas Arts games remote moves trigger combos of predefined moves instead of working like a sword. What games do you think that fully use the power of motion features of the Wii controls?

I also was wondering about a Wii game called Space Camp. Has anyone played it?
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Red Steel uses the motion controls pretty good. A lot of platformers use the Wiimote as a gamepad with the motion sensor thrown in to complete extra commands, like shaking, slamming, sorta like the Sixaxis on roids.

Honestly excluding a few third party and most Nintendo games, the Wii sucks when it comes to games. They let third party developers develop these shit games with 30 minutes worth of content and people will mindlessly buy them because it looks family friendly. It's a good way to make money as it evidently is the best selling of these 7th generation consoles but it lacks integrity.

The thing is that a lot of these games that you consider shit games are actually pretty family friendly, and the target audience (non-gamers and little kids) are going to enjoy them a lot. I don't think any Wii game we have bought has been a flop.

They still have one Xbox 360 game from last Christmas unopened.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

There are some colorful and artsy titles which I'd like to play (Okami, Super Mario Galaxy). I can't justify buying it just for that however.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Wii has a lot of shovelware, we have a few of the titles. Kids games with very basic, limited, gameplay that haven't been modified (besides using whatever flavor character is currently hot), since the N64 days. There is also an elite collection of crapware games, we have one of those too; Mini Desktop Racers, completely useable and unplayable with the controls they designed .

Wiiware is even worse off.

Not to say the Wii is a bad format, Nintendo could carry the platform on their own if they needed too, with Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby; but they have some unique 3rd party titles too for adults, like Red Steel, MadWorld, GoldenEye.

I bought my Wii because I played Sports games and I neded to have some physical activity at home since I am very lazy to be in a gym. However I consider myself a PC gamer. I do not se any magic in Wiiware that does not cause me to do more exercise than moving my fingers. However I see it has some special gloamour among non gamers and kids, for those who play complex games must have started somewhere. Indeed I started with Atari 2600 which games would be crappy for today standards.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Oh, too bad then, you should have gone for the Kinect. That really can get you to work up a sweat.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Indeed I started with Atari 2600 which games would be crappy for today standards.
    Not really... plently of people play retro games because they're still considered fun. Have you not checked out the Wii shop channel? It provides tons of retro games up until the N64

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Oh, too bad then, you should have gone for the Kinect. That really can get you to work up a sweat.
    There are no cool games for Kinect as far as I know. I bet that for non gamers it may be a problem. Elders may not be as agile to play, adults may get tired too soon. Lack of physical agility could be a problem to make a kick for example. And I can foresee the console maker spying your movements, just like Google does with your data. They could see how many hour you sit, walk, etc. With a Wii, they can only see how the control moves.

Well as the idea is to improve physical fitness your supposed 'problems' are only solutions. As for the paranoid nonsense about the cam, that's been possible for a long long time already so no need to be more than average paranoid about the cam in a Kinect.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Well as the idea is to improve physical fitness your supposed 'problems' are only solutions. As for the paranoid nonsense about the cam, that's been possible for a long long time already so no need to be more than average paranoid about the cam in a Kinect.
    The problem would be the target market. If the solution involves too much dexterity, not too many people may be able to play or start playing.

The problem would be the target market. If the solution involves too much dexterity, not too many people may be able to play or start playing.
    That's why they have entry-level games for people who want to get off the couch.
    Congratulations America

The Wii allows multiple levels of physical exertion. PA even did a comic for it. You need some fucking willpower after all.

A friend bought a wii for his grndkids this xmas. It's still in the box because they don't like the games that their friends have for it. Whined all day that they wanted an xbox not a "stupid wii". personally I'm an old-fashioned p-n-p rpg'er.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    A friend bought a wii for his grndkids this xmas. It's still in the box because they don't like the games that their friends have for it. Whined all day that they wanted an xbox not a "stupid wii". personally I'm an old-fashioned p-n-p rpg'er.
    Spoiled kids perhaps? Whining without even trying. Most of kids may enjoy Wii games. I have tested it myself with some kids from my family.

I think the Wii's great, got all this generations consoles and now the Kinect but think the Wii so far is the best in what it tries to do.

That PA comic is true, when the Wii first came out everyone smashed it about, but only very small flicks of the wrist are necessary, so a load of gamers get no more exercise from the Wii than for their wrist - probably the last place they needed to exercise . Been hooked on Donkey Kong Country Returns recently, very "old school", most of it plays the same as an old SNES game and the motion controls are barely used at all.

Ha, that's one of the ones my kids wanted for Christmas.

They jump around a lot playing anything, though.

I'd strongly recommend it if you're thinking of getting it still, it's only a 2.5D game but still great gameplay, haven't played a good platformer like that in a long time.

The Wii is terrible, hasn't released a single good game in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'd strongly recommend it if you're thinking of getting it still, it's only a 2.5D game but still great gameplay, haven't played a good platformer like that in a long time.
    Oh, I guess I wasn't clear enough there - since they wanted it for Christmas, they got it for Christmas. They like it.

The only ones I have played that they got were Epic Mickey and New Super Mario Wii - Epic Mickey is cool, but a bit aggravating.

New Super Mario kicks ass, though.

Whats wrong with Epic Mickey? I still want to pick that up...

Do it, it's fun anyway.

Sometimes it just feels like the controls aren't actually doing what they are supposed to, and I don't think it's user error. Also, the camera angles are a bit wonky at times.

There are no cool games for Kinect as far as I know. I bet that for non gamers it may be a problem.
    I'd beg to differ, being a Kinect owner there are plenty of good/cool games for the Kinect - some of which have several mini-games within them.

Kinect Sports - Feat. Track n Field (Javelin/Long Jump/Discus/Hurdles/100m), Beach Volleyball, Football, Bowling, Boxing, Table Tennis.

Kinect Adventures
    Dance Central
    Kinectimals (A kids game but does showcase the Kinect plus the graphics are superb - especially when the animal breaths on the screen).
    Kinect Fitness Evolved

Off the top of my head you've also got the following coming -

Star Wars:

Forza Motorsport 4
    Rise of Nightmares

One of the things i liked about the Kinect over the Wii is that it (Kinect) actually makes you get off your arse for it to work. The Wii can be used sitting down and flicking your wrist, the Kinect won't do a thing if you get out of the playing area or sitting down for that matter. As a result my Wii has gone into storage, the only reason i haven't got rid of it yet is because i do often get a Mario Kart bug and feel the need to play it.