Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: @ Tear Lurker

Default @ Tear Lurker

Assuming you're lurking, (and who could you resist?), I'd like to encourage you not to bail. I think it's important and valuable to have a professional in the sciences here to balance the mystical and/or ignorant lunacy we run into on a regular basis. You, and this is only mho, would benefit from suffering fools (and/or people you simply don't like) with a little more grace.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Oh. You got banned. Well, that changes everything. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that's not permanent. DW? Is it permanent?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

TBD. It was originally an automatic system temp ban, but his antics after that are pushing for a change in status.

I read through that ugly exchange you guys had. Yuck. Too bad it has to get so over the top.
    The Rules

Whuu ... ?

Came onto the forum this morning, had a pm from Tear saying goodbye.

Sigh. Why do these things have to go so over the top. So much unnecessary drama.

Agree with you Chaboobies, hopefully circumstances will allow his return.

I hate bannings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Assuming you're lurking, (and who could you resist?), I'd like to encourage you not to bail. I think it's important and valuable to have a professional in the sciences here to balance the mystical and/or ignorant lunacy we run into on a regular basis. You, and this is only mho, would benefit from suffering fools (and/or people you simply don't like) with a little more grace.
    Agreed. WTF happened here?

TWF is but a small thing in the worldwideweb, around 200 members. It's not like sooo much traffic and new members are making it difficult for us to keep track of who's who, let alone "personalities" or occasional drama. If that's ban-worthy for one, then at least be consistent in defining Trolling......and give WL to everyone else that does it, too.

There's a distinct Clique here that has special status, even when they Swarm and stir things up their own way. They never get warned for mucking up the "friendly environment" of this place. Why not? Oh right, because there's not much going on here! For the most part, we're capable of dealing with each other, without reporting or complaining, and things move on.

Tear actually contributes substance to this place. But keep him out---for being temperamental---while overlooking everyone else 'Trolling'? Kath has his own dedicated threads, Lewk starts threads every time a robber gets shot, and then there's The Clique that baits and flames and swarms around without impunity.

Tear was definitely a positive contributor, but his propensity for feuds, temper tantrums and taking almost everything personally were extremely disruptive. This wasn't the first Tear-centered drama explosion we've seen here or the other place, and would not have been the last. I'm far from happy to see him gone, but I can see why Wraith acted as he did. When it reaches the "signing up with an alt-account and spamming the forums" stage, it's usually only ever going to end one way.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I think Tear was given multiple chances not to be a jackass, but was unwilling to listen. His reaction to a 3 day temp ban was proof of that.

Wraithy handled it quite nicely.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I don't like anyone
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I don't like anyone
    I do. I like almost everyone here almost all the time.

The major malfunction Tear has is not knowing when to walk away and, probably the bigger issue, not being willing to accept the 'coaching' and general authority of the mod staff here, particularly DW.

Lilo - you changed your clothes! You look like Loki's sig other now. Just yesterday my daughter was looking over my shoulder and asked "What's wrong with that Hello Kitty? It has a mustache..." I told her it was a joke. No sense in explaining fascism or whatever and associated twisted humor.
    The Rules

Tear and Cain were cut from the same cloth; they were never willing to let things go-little things-to get on with the subject of a thread. Both too angry at the world. I don't mid the occasional bickering. But both would completely derail a thread beyond repair. Made it hard to remember what the threads began as after a bit.

He's been threatening to leave so many times that I am indifferent to his departure.

LOL @ the thought of Cliques on the interwebs. Technology changes everything I suppose.

Cliques are a feature of human groups, no reason why they wouldn't exist on the internet.

Another flavor of tribalism is all. It infests everything we do, all the time. It's a very basic underlying characteristic of human behavior.
    The Rules

Lilo - you changed your clothes! You look like Loki's sig other now. Just yesterday my daughter was looking over my shoulder and asked "What's wrong with that Hello Kitty? It has a mustache..." I told her it was a joke. No sense in explaining fascism or whatever and associated twisted humor.
    I did say I was considering it in the happy thread since I used it on Bitbit's mug. I mean, this kittycat is me.

That was KomradeKitty, though, commie not fascist.

Is your daughter a Hello Kitty fan? Mine is. I bought her an adorable Chococat Christmas t-shirt at Old Navy, they had regular Hello Kitty, too.

By the way, I can't remember if I told OG about brainpop in a PM or a post - your kids would probably enjoy it as well.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

deja fucking vu
    Such is Life...

Cliques are a feature of human groups, no reason why they wouldn't exist on the internet.
    So are tempers flaring and occasional fights between certain individuals. They usually work things out, kiss and makeup, or ignore each other and move on. The World (Forgotten) still turns.

The clique could jolly well contain themselves from jumping into threads to play moderator. That turns into a gang swarm that's just as disruptive. And mods should consider if it's only the clique complaining or reporting, and no one else.

Nonsense, I am done with the time of God, we need peer support/feedback. I don't know why you find the notion of members taking responsibility for their wellbeing as well as for their own community so reprehensible. I am a principled and ethical creature, why would you expect me to always keep quiet about the things I believe to be wrong?

I also have nfi why you're talking about cliques. I set Tear off this time around and, as I've mentioned in this thread, I don't like anybody

As a member accustomed to collective hatred, to me Tear's towering, snowball rages are in a word........tiresome, I mean, after all these years how you can maintain his capacity for flinty e-anger, the man is troubled.

Nonsense, I am done with the time of God, we need peer support/feedback. I don't know why you find the notion of members taking responsibility for their wellbeing as well as for their own community so reprehensible. I am a principled and ethical creature, why would you expect me to always keep quiet about the things I believe to be wrong?

I also have nfi why you're talking about cliques. I set Tear off this time around and, as I've mentioned in this thread, I don't like anybody
    One wonders why a man who does not like anyone maintains his principled and ethical nature. To what purpose? I shudder to think of being in the care of a doctor who does not like anyone. Does your mother know this about you?
    The Rules

No-one will ever know, I have a latex mask

You are a liar.
    The Rules

Simply put, too much meddling going on. "STFU" under the guise of "can't we all just get along".

Peer support and feedback is one thing, telling someone off in a public post (or making fun of them) is another. We know that sets certain defensive reactions into motion, and more drama.

What
    The Rules

You are a liar.
    I am, being truthful isn't exactly one of my highest-prioritised principles. Tear was very principled and look where it got him. Always angry and in trouble. His principles were rules, and, as we know, rules kill practical wisdom. And, in doing so, they kill Mexican happiness

Some people need to learn to control their anger, especially when it raises its ugly head at the smallest slights. And I would imagine this doesn't just apply to the internet world.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Simply put, too much meddling going on. "STFU" under the guise of "can't we all just get along".
    I dunno who you're talking about, I really meant "STFU".

Peer support and feedback is one thing, telling someone off in a public post (or making fun of them) is another. We know that sets certain defensive reactions into motion, and more drama.
    I suppose I could overcome my distaste for behind-the-scenes communication and waste a great deal of time and energy engaging in fruitless dialogue rather than to just say my bit and leverage the power of open and public communication.

PS. look maybe you should just air your grievances in a clear and concise manner and we can talk about that instead?

I dunno who you're talking about, I really meant "STFU".

I suppose I could overcome my distaste for behind-the-scenes communication and waste a great deal of time and energy engaging in fruitless dialogue rather than to just say my bit and leverage the power of open and public communication.

PS. look maybe you should just air your grievances in a clear and concise manner and we can talk about that instead?
    I spoke my piece. Clear and concise. Too many do-gooders and drama queens jumping in threads devolves into a gang mentality. Bullying with good intentions is still bullying; purpose defeated.

Tear may lose his temper with one person, and before ya know it......whoosh, others come in just to play referee. It's happened to me before, too. It's silly.

I figure we should ALL show some restraint, not just claim Tear is the odd man out.

Well that's the thing about a forum. If you just wanted a two-person conversation then you would just PM a person. When you type something on an open forum, expect anyone on that forum to reply to you.

I guess people jump in thinking that another "Voice" may reason with Tear but it is a lost cause so maybe in the future we'll just have to ignore all members that act out. I know I refrained from posting in that thread even though I too thought he was over the top, and I'm not part of any clique. I didn't know there even was one....

I've tried to tell people on my Baby Board about the consequences of posting on a public forum, but some of them are so dense and thin-skinned you wonder how they make it through real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Well that's the thing about a forum. If you just wanted a two-person conversation then you would just PM a person. When you type something on an open forum, expect anyone on that forum to reply to you.
    Sure, but it's not like the veterans here are strangers to each other. If anything, we know what sets certain people off, and some even use it as a weapon.

I guess people jump in thinking that another "Voice" may reason with Tear but it is a lost cause so maybe in the future we'll just have to ignore all members that act out. I know I refrained from posting in that thread even though I too thought he was over the top, and I'm not part of any clique. I didn't know there even was one....
    There's always a forum hierarchy, made up of older posters with a reputation, and moderator favoritism. I call it the clique, some call it forum royalty. IMO some jump in to create more drama, knowing full well that's what will happen.

I've tried to tell people on my Baby Board about the consequences of posting on a public forum, but some of them are so dense and thin-skinned you wonder how they make it through real life.
    Good luck with that.

No-one will ever know, I have a latex mask
    Do you have one of those latex "beds" where you lay in between the two sheets and have a vacuum suck all the air out so you are effectively shrink wrapped? Ever wonder what that would feel like, physically and mentally?

What? It's thread drift.