Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: US Representative Shot in Arizona + Fantasies/Falsehoods about Dreadnt and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I never heard that during the Presidential election, I think you're mixing things up. She was criticized only when she used that "don't retreat, reload" thing she said a while ago when the healthcare bill was first passed. All the other complaints about her have mostly sounded like the usual Palin Derangement Syndrome.

It's very clear that Palin is being set up as the "ideological" mother of murdering politicians and I think that's way too far. She hasn't brought the rhetoric down any worse than anyone else.
    I can try to look it up for you though I don't have a lot of time right now but there were several VP rallies where Palin rousted the crowd to the point some were calling for killing Obama and other violent acts. When video, i think, went public and she was getting a lot of criticism she toned down her rhetoric.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Steely, see my post above. The guy seems like a conspiracy nut, not a tea partier.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I certainly hope that's accurate.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The language used was fairly similar to that used by Beck. Should be interesting to see how much of an influence Beck had over this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    it's at least a year old.
    Late March 10
    She announced this poster with the same "don't retreat, reload" twitter message thats already been complained about

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I can try to look it up for you though I don't have a lot of time right now but there were several VP rallies where Palin rousted the crowd to the point some were calling for killing Obama and other violent acts. When video, i think, went public and she was getting a lot of criticism she toned down her rhetoric.
    ...so? "Rousing a crowd" is different than "rousing a crowd to violence". Just because she gets people excited and some nutballs scream something doesn't mean she's inciting violence.

This is really just people finding this incident a convenient way to say "told you so about 'dem Tea Partiers".

I just hope this serves as wake up call for Palin and people like her. They were damn lucky this was a random nutbar, and not a teabagger. I, personally, do not want America to be a country where "political assassination" is a phrase used in the context of domestic news, but that's the direction it was heading.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I just hope this serves as wake up call for Palin and people like her. They were damn lucky this was a random nutbar, and not a teabagger. I, personally, do not want America to be a country where "political assassination" is a phrase used in the context of domestic news, but that's the direction it was heading.
    Haven't really seen a big "blame the Tea Party" response, but I am seeing a lot of this. The problem is with the talking heads, and their hateful and ignorant remarks to an equally ignorant following. Only connection is that the worst offenders (thread has already touched on Beck and Palin) happen to also be Tea Party supporters.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.

...so? "Rousing a crowd" is different than "rousing a crowd to violence". Just because she gets people excited and some nutballs scream something doesn't mean she's inciting violence.

This is really just people finding this incident a convenient way to say "told you so about 'dem Tea Partiers".
    I don't remember if it was pre or post Obama election, but Palin was roundly criticized for her web site with gun cross-hairs for "targets" and using Don't Retreat, Reload as a slogan for Tea Party Express. She recently used that slogan during her TLC show, either during target practice for Bristol--or when she was whacking fish dead with a club--can't remember which. Point being that she wanted it both ways; harmless political rhetoric while using violent visuals.

People were encouraged to show up at rallies with their weapons in full view, wearing Revolutionary garb. Not the greatest diplomatic decision, IMO, when the FBI was also fielding violent threats against congress and candidates, and one of Clinton's campaign HQ was damaged by gunfire....surely you remember all that.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It's not even particularly inflammatory. These are commonly understood phrases and symbols which are constantly used in non-violent contexts. Objecting to "targeting" symbology is moronic. It would be tasteless if it came out right after this shooting, but it didn't, it's at least a year old.
    Uh, exactly what non-violent use does a crosshair have?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    It's very commonly used to represent any kind of target or goal, and when used on graphs, charts, or maps, it almost never has violent connotations. The violent connotations only really arise when it's placed on the image or representation of a human.

edit: I think any kind of assertion that Palin was trying to incite people to violence against democrats is overblown. The woman is stupid, not a psychopath.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's very commonly used to represent any kind of target or goal, and when used on graphs, charts, or maps, it almost never has violent connotations. The violent connotations only really arise when it's placed on the image or representation of a human.
    Non-violent, like: this?

I fear that you're conflating all kinds of "crosshairs" and the particular kind of crosshair used by Palin. Because that one you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a non-violent connotation for (besides: A crosshair on a deer is non-violent as well?)
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I certainly hope that's accurate.
    Not sure I understand what you are getting at. Is it somehow better that this is a pot-smoking, lucid dreaming psychopath, as opposed to a tea-party supporting psychopath? Are we really saying that one is preferable to the other? Do you think it's a consolation to those families who lost the ones they love?

Aren't all psychopaths bad?

I've seen many X-marks-the-spot on graphs, charts and maps. Not aware of any rifle scope cross-hairs until Palin.

Violent connotations can be associated with gun use. Example: human outline on the targets used at gun galleries. Violent connotations can be made without direct association of a human shape, by using certain language and icons together. Example: Freedom Fighters + images of guns, on a flag.

I don't think Palin intended to incite violence, and she is indeed stupid for not realizing the impact of certain political speech that appeals to violent extremists.

Incidentally, my belief is this is yet another example of our dysfunctional healthcare system that pooh-poohs mental illnesses. The shooter is obviously mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Incidentally, my belief is this is yet another example of our dysfunctional healthcare system that pooh-poohs mental illnesses. The shooter is obviously mentally ill.
    I agree. A set of crosshairs on a map doesn't make people want to kill.

"We’re on Sarah Palin’s ‘targeted’ list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we’re in the cross-hairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they’ve got to realize that there are consequences to that action."
    -U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords, March 25, 2010

You mean one of the common visual symbols commonly for "target," like a bulls-eye? Well, since again it's a visual representation of the word target, I would look to non-violent uses of the word target. Would you like me to list some synonyms for target which clearly convey that it doesn't necessarily mean violence? Should I be using it in a sentence? Maybe I should point out that the same attempt to insist her use of "target" promoted violence also attempted to interpret the word "fire," clearly used in a job-termination sense, as being another call for shooting Democratic politicians in the head?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Wow, that video made me shiver.

I agree with her: leaders should condemn hate speech and threats when they appear, even covert or carefully "massaged" threats. The Tea Party should be more vocal condemning the homophobes, racists, and fear mongerers hiding in plain view among their ranks, and throw them out. Republicans should be more adamant about denouncing the extremists they attract, including the damn Birthers.

Is it too late to expect Fox News to re-think their business model?

To Fuzzy: there's a difference between bullseye and cross-hairs. We have Target (the store) using a bullseye, and we hear the word "target" used in business and daily life all the time. We have politicians using "war words" all the time. Even the word threat is used frequently. None of that makes me think of shooting a gun. But a scope cross-hair does.

I don't play shooter video games, so is this some benign symbol I don't know about?
    Last edited by GGT; 01-09-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    "We’re on Sarah Palin’s ‘targeted’ list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we’re in the cross-hairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they’ve got to realize that there are consequences to that action."
    -U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords, March 25, 2010
    Yes, an excellent example of "have you stopped beating your wife" political rhetoric. If the people running the ad/campaign try to rebut, then the political conversation has been turned away from where they wanted it, and the allegation that the campaign is promoting violence is what will stick in people's heads. And if no rebuttal is offered then the people in those focused seats can keep on banging that drum all they want.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Whatever Dread, your opinion was made Up well before I tried to tell you this went back to the last presidential election. Goes prt in parcel with your slide to the right wing, so I see no point in arguing.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

edit: I think any kind of assertion that Palin was trying to incite people to violence against democrats is overblown. The woman is stupid, not a psychopath.
    Its more careless exploitation than intent. Her problem is stupidity, not evil machinations.
    The Rules

I don't remember if it was pre or post Obama election, but Palin was roundly criticized for her web site with gun cross-hairs for "targets" and using Don't Retreat, Reload as a slogan for Tea Party Express. She recently used that slogan during her TLC show, either during target practice for Bristol--or when she was whacking fish dead with a club--can't remember which. Point being that she wanted it both ways; harmless political rhetoric while using violent visuals.

People were encouraged to show up at rallies with their weapons in full view, wearing Revolutionary garb. Not the greatest diplomatic decision, IMO, when the FBI was also fielding violent threats against congress and candidates, and one of Clinton's campaign HQ was damaged by gunfire....surely you remember all that.
    Clinton's campaign HQ? The Tea Party in the 2008 election before it ever existed?

It's an expression. One that can be misinterpreted, but who hasn't said or heard "I'm in his/her crosshairs over ____" in casual conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Whatever Dread, your opinion was made Up well before I tried to tell you this went back to the last presidential election. Goes prt in parcel with your slide to the right wing, so I see no point in arguing.
    My mind was made Up? Why does that need to be capitalized? What is this grave judgement I have made when I say that it's too soon to judge?

Come on, snap out of it.

Clinton's campaign HQ? The Tea Party in the 2008 election before it ever existed?
    ||P, new paragraph still has meaning, right?

After the "violence" during the '08 election, it takes a particularly dense or clueless person and/or political party to continue rhetoric that can incite "the violent crazy fringe".

Do you agree, or not?

Maybe this will finally at least get Palin out of the conversation. God damn, that's a fucking terrible way to have communicated information. Hopefully it's fake.

But I'm willing to bet this will be sort of a lone extremist. Possibly even someone with a different agenda like abortion.
    What the hell? I'm not a fan of Palin (I'd like to see Romney or Jindal win in 2012) but how is having targets on cities in anyway related to violence? Thats absolutely retarded. Yes they are targets in terms of political races. Palin has never endorsed, condoned or supported violence in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    What the hell? I'm not a fan of Palin (I'd like to see Romney or Jindal win in 2012) but how is having targets on cities in anyway related to violence? Thats absolutely retarded. Yes they are targets in terms of political races. Palin has never endorsed, condoned or supported violence in anyway.
    Hmm, is that kinda like you saying you've never endorsed, condoned or supported violence in any way, and you just happen to create threads hailing people who shoot toothpaste thieves (in the back), or anyone who shoots first and asks questions later, as heroes?

Hmm, is that kinda like you saying you've never endorsed, condoned or supported violence in any way, and you just happen to create threads hailing people who shoot toothpaste thieves (in the back), or anyone who shoots first and asks questions later, as heroes?
    Well for one thing, I'm not Palin.

And I do endorse violence against criminals in the defense of home and property. If my posts somehow influence people to violently defend their homes, well that would be sweet. But we both know that's not going to happen.

“As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy,” the former classmate, Caitie Parker, wrote in a series of Twitter feeds Saturday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us...r.html?_r=1&hp

If you read the rest of the piece, you'll see the guy had significant mental problems and had them long before the Tea Party came into existence. People really should refrain from using this tragedy to take political cheap shots.

I wasn't here during the midterm elections, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing if this has been discussed or not, but did Obama receive this much flack for calling Republicans 'enemies'?

Isn't this just the nature of politics, certainly nothing to, pardon the pun, get up in arms about?

Hope and change.

Some of us did mention mental illness.

And it's not a "political cheap shot" to call out political leaders who hire campaign aides, promotional advisors, and marketers very savvy at using language or creating slogans. Feigning surprise at this point is lame.

The Tea Party is just a new word for right-wing extremism, because their leadership didn't want to kick out the homophobes, racists, birthers, or fanatic gun owners in their ranks.