Thread: Death Wears Bunny Slippers

Default Death Wears Bunny Slippers

At a small United States Air Force installation in eastern Wyoming, I’m sitting at an electronic console, ready to unleash nuclear hell. In front of me is a strange amalgamation of ’60s-era flip switches and modern digital display screens. It’s the control console for launching an intercontinental ballistic missile or ICBM.

On an archaic display screen in the center of the console, three large letters blink in rapid succession. “EAM inbound,” says my deputy commander and the second member of the launch crew. An emergency-action message is on its way, maybe from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, maybe from the Commander of U.S. Strategic Command, maybe even from the president. We both mechanically pull down our code books, thick binders swollen with pages of alpha-numeric sequences, and swiftly decipher the message.

After nearly four years of pulling ICBM-alert duty, this process is instinctive. I deliberately recite the encrypted characters to ensure my deputy is on the same page, literally and figuratively, as six short characters can effectively communicate a wealth of information through the use of special decoding binders. “Charlie, Echo, Seven, Quebec, Golf, Bravo, six characters ending in Bravo.” My partner concurs, scribbling in his code book.

“Crowd pleaser,” he adds without emotion, referring to a war plan that mandates immediate release of our entire flight of nuclear missiles, 10 in all.

Of course, this is just a training scenario. The coded orders are a simulation. The console is a mockup of the real thing, stowed away in a larger hanger and serviced seven days a week by a small staff of Boeing contractors.

If this were a real event, I’d be buried in a steel cocoon 100 feet underground. I’d have shed my standard-issue flight suit and boots. Instead, I’d be wearing sweats, fleece-lined slippers and, naturally, my indispensable, royal blue Snuggie.

America and her nuclear warriors have an odd relationship. For decades, missileers (as we’re known in the military) have quietly performed their duties, custodians of a dying breed of weapon. But American citizens have no real connection with the shadowy operators who stand the old posts of the Cold War, despite the fact that they spend up to $8 billion a year to maintain our country’s nuclear deterrent. The truth is the job is an awesome responsibility, but it’s deeply weird.

Back in the air-conditioned simulator, my deputy and I carefully, but quickly, walk through a precisely choreographed preparation sequence. Unlock codes provided by the president allow us to enable the missiles for launch, a function similar to the safety switch of a gun. At this moment, the safety is off.

Several times during the process, we verify that the orders are authentic and formatted properly, and that they originate from the appropriate command authorities. Both of us keep a sharp eye out for a “termination message,” a quick stand-down notification that would cancel our attack orders. None comes.

We finish our sequence in less than a minute, leaving 30 seconds to spare before initiating our practice launch. It feels like an eternity. My deputy stares at his keyboard, while my eyes are locked on a large red clock above our heads. The clock is set to Greenwich Mean Time (“Zulu time” in missile parlance), and is checked against the Navy’s atomic clock twice a day for accuracy down to the millisecond.

At 10 seconds out, we place our hands on a series of launch switches. Contrary to popular myth, there is no red button. Four launch switches means it takes four hands to launch — it’s one of many safety mechanisms built into the system as a means of preventing unauthorized execution of missiles by a lone individual. At five seconds out, I start my countdown, commanding a final “3, 2, 1 — execute.”

We turn our keys, and watch as the control screen flashes with missile-launch notifications. Some fly immediately, some with a delay to prevent nuclear fratricide when the bombs approach their targets in 20 to 30 minutes.
    Source, click for full article

I thought it was interesting anyways. Seems like a cushy job, they can sign me up if they ever get rid of that no-videogame rule. Just because the wiimote could trigger nuclear armageddon seems like a silly reason to ban them.

This is interesting. Though of course I'm disturbed by the administrative creep that's happened with those hour-long presentations about nothing. And that they are using such outdated machinery in the first place.

Ever see Crimson Tide?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This is interesting. Though of course I'm disturbed by the administrative creep that's happened with those hour-long presentations about nothing. And that they are using such outdated machinery in the first place.
    I was once aboard one of the space shuttles. Their equipment is pretty damn old too. The reason they don't replace and upgrade such things is because the old stuff works. New stuff always carries with it substantial additional risk.

There is a cold war story I've heard before about a missile detection station that was upgraded. Everything went well for the first few days, but then the station's systems started showing multiple inbound missiles. This was at a time when there were higher than normal tensions with the soviets. Procedure at the time was that they were supposed to immediately launch retaliatory strikes on the USSR on detection, but the commander of the station, aware of the new upgrades, decided to delay the launch order and started trying to raise other stations. The first station he tried to call gave no response, which fit with the scenario of a Soviet nuclear attack. But he just tried another station instead, and got through to the second and third, and both of them were showing no inbound missiles. So on that, he decided not to make the retaliatory strike. It turned out that the new equipment was over-sensitive, and they were detecting a flock of birds, not missiles.

The point I'm trying to make here is that if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Ever see Crimson Tide?
    I've seen the wiki article on it. Now.

Indeed, that part I get. But surely these things just wear down over time and it becomes hard to maintain them.

Crimson Tide = movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Indeed, that part I get. But surely these things just wear down over time and it becomes hard to maintain them.
    It's still safer then to replace it with a copy of the same part than to build a whole new solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I was once aboard one of the space shuttles.
    Nice pickup line. (I know you probably mean one in a museum...)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's still safer then to replace it with a copy of the same part than to build a whole new solution.
    I get that, but I also have trouble imagining that the missiles themselves with outdated targeting systems can just last that long without total rebuilds and simple electronic tests.

More generally, in principle I'm against us maintaining this giant deterrent without investing in potential new systems over time.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Nice pickup line. (I know you probably mean one in a museum...)
    It was one in drydock. I want to say the Atlantis, but I'm not 100%. They were changing something in the cockpit in some way that I can't recall now. I was working on some robotics in one of NASA's hangars in Houston with one of their chief engineers, and he took us into the space shuttle and to give us a tour when we were taking a break. We had to climb across the wing to get in. Sat in the cockpit, wore the space suit gloves on for a while, was very careful not to touch any control panels because the aforementioned engineer promised he would slaughter us all if anyone did, etc. Was fun.