Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Investing in Asia

Do you have to judge anyone you come across?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Reading back, it looks different, clearer somehow.

Oh well? No, you should be congratulated for having a recession plan that makes good sense. Not just in case of emergency, but as a life plan even during good times. Most people don't have 6 months cash on hand, let alone a whole year.

Not sure how you could be considered a cheapskate when you bought a co-op in Manhattan, took some nice trips, bought some tech gadgets, gave nice gifts during holidays, and even bought a vintage car. All before your 30th birthday.

Sounds like you've got some guilt complex going on (where did that come from?) and you're looking for validation. No wonder you get upset when "we" discuss ethical investments or social justice?

Keep your head straight and logical, as you've done quite well that way. But don't lose compassion for others or thinking with your heart. Donate or tithe 10% of your income. Give your time and talent to others, it's more valuable than money. That's the best investment anyone can make, with no regrets.

It looks clearer? I have some guilt complex while trying to put together a stock portfolio? I'm significantly below the age of 30?

No, this is a lot less clear. And it feels like this thread all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It looks clearer? I have some guilt complex while trying to put together a stock portfolio? I'm significantly below the age of 30?

No, this is a lot less clear. And it feels like this thread all over again.
    You're not 30 yet, right? I said before your 30th b-day. Giving you some compliments turns into.....feeling links to another thread?

Dread, no offense, but this forum isn't suited for "trying to put together a stock portfolio". You're smart enough to know that, so I went with the underlying intent: validation by a few in front of many.

Sorry if that was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Do you have to judge anyone you come across?
    I try to be honest, and I try to help people when they ask questions.

Why do you take that as a negative judgment, Loki?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Dread, no offense, but this forum isn't suited for "trying to put together a stock portfolio".
    Umm, bullshit. It's as much for talking about mutual funds as it is for 7AM rants about what's at the dollar store. I try not to make things so damn personal, why do you?

Maybe you should think it's pretty damn "personal" to put together a stock portfolio. You didn't just want to talk about mutual funds or general investing, you wanted to talk about your investments in Chinese mutual funds. You even put up links!

I don't see how my 7am "rants" about things Made in China compares.

And why is this such a personal thing for you? I asked for a gut-check on a specific assumption I was using for a potential investment in a specific fund. I put up specific links to these specific funds.

Yet now you're still ranting about...well, I don't know what the hell you're ranting about. It's honestly not coherent.

Ban Dread for advertising penny stocks!

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Ban Dread for advertising penny stocks!
    Nah, Dread is just doing what he feels is best for him...asking for financial guidance from us.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

So if I mention this sounds a bit from envy, will I get screamed at again?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    So if I mention this sounds a bit from envy, will I get screamed at again?
    Why would you get screamed at? I'd actually agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    So, if I understand correctly you're opposed to investing in stocks and bonds on principle? Ignoring the individual wealth-building angle that Dread and other mentioned, there is a worthwhile reason for it - stock and bond markets allow us to efficiently allocate capital around the world for the most productive uses (rather than having people sit on capital that's doing nothing - improving no lives, funding no infrastructure, employing no people, etc.). There are obvious flaws in this model, of course, but it is one decent outcome of the stock market. I'm somewhat surprised you're so adamant in your opposition - unless I'm completely misunderstanding you.
    I'm probably not as adamant as you think, and I don't wholesale buy into the Marxist interpretation of capital investment and investors, but it does seem somewhat low to speculate on real-world goods to fund one's fondness for gay underwear parties, or whatever. If you're not part of the solution, you know?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Mutual funds != commodity futures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I'm probably not as adamant as you think, and I don't wholesale buy into the Marxist interpretation of capital investment and investors, but it does seem somewhat low to speculate on real-world goods to fund one's fondness for gay underwear parties, or whatever. If you're not part of the solution, you know?
    Well, bond purchases are generally not speculation - there is some minor risk to the principal, but in general it is not a speculative investment (unless you're investing in low-grade bonds). Stocks definitely are speculation - though not in goods - but most people buy large groups of diversified stocks in an effort to protect the principal from anything short of wholesale market meltdown, and even then losses aren't automatically realized with a simple long position on a stock.

Anyways, semantics aside, I think that it's a very economically unproductive activity to sit on accumulated capital - which I assume is the alternative to 'speculative' investments. True, the proceeds from such investment might be poorly used or distributed (for said 'gay underwear parties'), but most of the capital is still working even if the dividends etc. are used to fund unnecessary consumption (I suspect you'd disagree with an assertion that most spending, even if silly, is actually beneficial economically, so I won't bring it up). Why not reward those who put their capital to work (improving everyone's lot), rather than sitting on it? Of course, if you'd prefer a wholesale redistribution of capital to completely even things out, I suppose you'd disagree with this line of thinking, but even then factories and bridges and such need to be financed by someone.

*shrugs* I guess I was just a little surprised by what I interpreted as a strong position that didn't make sense to me. If you're not that adamant about it, that's cool. Sorry for the digression.

You did use the phrase gay underwear parties, even if it was in air quotes, don't be sorry
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.