Thread: Made in China....

Default Made in China....

We have a store called Tuesday Morning. They take merchandise from retailers that hasn't moved, either by price or season, or for whatever reason. All sorts of items, from bras and linens, to landscaping sculptures and suitcases. Not necessarily "seconds" or damaged items. Their stock changes every Tuesday morning.....

So I was browsing their aisles the other day, amused by the mish-mash of merchandise more than anything. Great prices for stock that was in department stores just a month ago. I started looking at all the tags and stickers. So many things said MADE IN CHINA. Even the 'French milled soaps' and 'Italian crystal'.

Very few items said Product of USA. It was sad. They had some Pfaltzgraff crockery (an old PA company), "Made in China" stamped on the bottom. The only thing I found that was made in the USA was a super niche item for dry cracked heels. Basically a footie sock with the toe cut out, and a gel insert on the heel. I bought a pair.

So 'Made in China' products don't sell well in your area/state? Since this store is reselling the merchandise and all..then again if it's like Australia where every second product is made in China, they wouldn't have much choice.

Do you remember the commercials urging you to look for the union label?

Nah, Made in China sells well enough, judging by the cars in the Walmart parking lot. It's harder to find something NOT made in China, or something made IN the US. Actually, that's what I meant.

My state has lost plenty of business to China (or Mexico). Pfaltzgraff crockery and china, Hershey Chocolate, Cummins and Deere, Tyco Industries. Dentsply (world's largest supplier of dental products) is still hanging on. Probably b/c of its international affiliates. We still have Heinz, as a corporate HQ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    Do you remember the commercials urging you to look for the union label?
    I do! Now it's not so much looking for the union label, but trying to find Product of the USA label. It's harder than ever. Some may say they're a US company, but all the ingredients or manufacturing was done somewhere else.

Oh noes, woe upon us that all the stuff that mostly isn't good enough to sell at normal retail prices is made in China. I wish our less-wanted goods were made here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Oh noes, woe upon us that all the stuff that mostly isn't good enough to sell at normal retail prices is made in China. I wish our less-wanted goods were made here.
    Says the guy who complains when "others put words into his mouth". <when he asks about investing in Asia>

I didn't complain about words being put in my mouth.

The number one complaint I hear from customers at work are that the items we make custom for them in store cost so much more than the pre-made stuff out on the floor...which is mass produced by the thousands in China.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I didn't complain about words being put in my mouth.
    Yeah you did, you razzed Nessie about it....remember now?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    The number one complaint I hear from customers at work are that the items we make custom for them in store cost so much more than the pre-made stuff out on the floor...which is mass produced by the thousands in China.
    Do you tell them to take their money to those other places that feed Chinese workers? Or do you smile and say they can feel good by buying a local product?