Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesomesauce

Default Awesomesauce

Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Some mammoth remains still retain usable tissue samples, making it possible to recover cells for cloning, unlike dinosaurs, which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils

Researchers hope to achieve their aim within five to six years, the Yomiuri said.

The team, which has invited a Russian mammoth researcher and two US elephant experts to join the project, has established a technique to extract DNA from frozen cells, previously an obstacle to cloning attempts because of the damage cells sustained in the freezing process.

Another Japanese researcher, Teruhiko Wakayama of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology, succeeded in 2008 in cloning a mouse from the cells of another that had been kept in temperatures similar to frozen ground for 16 years.

The scientists extracted a cell nucleus from an organ of a dead mouse and planted it into the egg of another mouse which was alive, leading to the birth of the cloned mouse.

Based on Wakayama's techniques, Iritani's team devised a method to extract the nuclei of mammoth eggs without damaging them.

But a successful cloning will also pose challenges for the team, Iritani warned.

"If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed (the mammoth) and whether to display it to the public," Iritani said.

"After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

More than 80 percent of all mammoth finds have been dug up in the permafrost of the vast Sakha Republic in eastern Siberia.

Exactly why a majority of the huge creatures that once strode in large herds across Eurasia and North America died out towards the end of the last Ice Age has generated fiery debate.

Some experts hold that mammoths were hunted to extinction by the species that was to become the planet's dominant predator -- humans.

Others argue that climate change was more to blame, leaving a species adapted for frozen climes ill-equipped to cope with a warming world.
    Yes, I'm sure we could have a serious discussion about this, but I'm posting it here because all I have to say about it is...

how fucking cool can you get?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I'm really curious to hear how they think an elephant womb will be able to handle this. Not that I doubt it, but I'm curious what metrics and other considerations they looked at.

These things never end well. Jurassic Park anyone?

Didn't the Russians try this decades ago? Another one of their "didn't happen" failures...

Digging through our databases here, looks like Korea claimed to have tried as well, and Japan said back in 03 that they would have a mammoth clone within 3 years.

Did they say when they would start?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

I am hijacking this thread to post other cool sciency shit!
    Satirist Stephen Colbert envisions his “Colbert Nation” mentally marching in lockstep with his special brand of patriotism. But scientists have done him one better, by creating tiny worm-bots completely under their control.

Rather than comedic persuasion, these scientists are using a dot of laser light. With it they can make a worm turn left, freeze or lay an egg. The researchers report their work online January 16 in Nature Methods.

The new system, named CoLBeRT for “Controlling Locomotion and Behavior in Real Time,” doesn’t just create a mindless zombie-worm, though. It gives scientists the ability to pick apart complicated behaviors on a cell-by-cell basis.

“This system is really remarkable,” says biological physicist William Ryu of the University of Toronto, who was not involved in the research. “It’s a very important advance in pursuit of the goal of understanding behavior.”’

Transparent and small, the nematode C. elegans is particularly amenable to light-based mind control. Another benefit of the worm is that researchers know the precise location of all 302 of its nerve cells. But until now, there wasn’t a good way to study each cell by itself, especially in a wriggling animal.

“This tool allows us to go in and poke and prod at those neurons in an animal as it’s moving, and see exactly what each neuron does,” says study coauthor Andrew Leifer of Harvard University.

The system is based on the emerging field of optogenetics, in which light is used to turn cells on or off. Leifer and his colleagues genetically engineered light-responsive molecules into particular groups of cells in the worm.

Then, a computer program that the team developed figures out where in the microscope’s field of view a target cell is. Once the cell is pinpointed, the program directs lasers so that a tiny beam of light hits the cell.

“When we’re shining light on a neuron, we’re hitting that neuron and nothing else,” Leifer says.

The whole process, from finding the cell to light hitting its target, takes about 20 milliseconds. As the worm’s position changes, that information is fed back into the computer program, and the laser is adjusted. If the worm crawls too far, a motorized microscope stage brings the animal back.

One of the biggest benefits of the new method, Ryu says, is that it works in a roving animal. “The worms are not held down in any way — they’re freely moving. There aren’t many systems where you can look at such truly free organisms.”

In early tests of their technique, Leifer and his team forced worms to freeze, change directions, turn left or right, and even lay eggs. In later tests, the team focused on two nerve cells that help the worm respond to touch. Researchers knew that a gentle tickle on the head causes worms to move backward, but after too many touches, the worms grow desensitized and stop responding. By mimicking touches with light, the researchers found that a weary cell that’s been touched too many times can also tire out its partner cell that hasn’t been touched, suggesting that these cells don’t act alone.

Another group of scientists, led by Jeffrey Stirman of Georgia Tech in Atlanta, reports a similar technique for worm mind-control, also online January 16 in Nature Methods. Ryu says the two methods are similar. The CoLBeRT method appears to be a little faster, he says, but if the worm is crawling slowly, the method used by Stirman’s group may offer more precise laser targeting. “Do both papers contribute to understanding behavior at a holistic level? Yes, definitely.”

Neuroengineer Ed Boyden of MIT says the new work could allow scientists to figure out how every cell in an animal works together to generate a behavior. “The ability to target a single cell is really important, because it allows you to understand precisely what each of these cells does.”
    Source

I like the idea if it will cure cancer. Otherwise the implications are pretty terrifying.

Talking about mine? What's disturbing about it? Just because researchers are learning how to remote control brains? I don't see it.

Anyone seen Dollhouse all the way through?

I think your mate Being is a fan.

No, but did it end with some kind of zombie firefight?

Chaloobi, is that you?

Continuing my hijacking of this thread for cool sciency stuff that isn't cool enough for its own threads...

In the weird world of quantum physics, two linked particles can share a single fate, even when they’re miles apart.

Now, two physicists have mathematically described how this spooky effect, called entanglement, could also bind particles across time.

If their proposal can be tested, it could help process information in quantum computers and test physicists’ basic understanding of the universe.

“You can send your quantum state into the future without traversing the middle time,” said quantum physicist S. Jay Olson of Australia’s University of Queensland, lead author of the new study.

In ordinary entanglement, two particles (usually electrons or photons) are so intimately bound that they share one quantum state — spin, momentum and a host of other variables — between them. One particle always “knows” what the other is doing. Make a measurement on one member of an entangled pair, and the other changes immediately.

Physicists have figured out how to use entanglement to encrypt messages in uncrackable codes and build ultrafast computers. Entanglement can also help transmit encyclopedias’ worth of information from one place to another using only a few atoms, a protocol called quantum teleportation.

In a new paper posted on the physics preprint website arXiv.org, Olson and Queensland colleague Timothy Ralph perform the math to show how these same tricks can send quantum messages not only from place to place, but from the past to the future.

The equations involved defy simple mathematical explanation, but are intuitive: If it’s impossible to describe one particle without including the other, this logically extends to time as well as space.

“If you use our timelike entanglement, you find that [a quantum message] moves in time, while skipping over the intermediate points,” Olson said. “There really is no difference mathematically. Whatever you can do with ordinary entanglement, you should be able to do with timelike entanglement.”

Olson explained them with a Star Trek analogy. In one episode, “beam me up” teleportation expert Scotty is stranded on a distant planet with limited air supply. To survive, Scotty freezes himself in the transporter, awaiting rescue. When the Enterprise arrives decades later, Scotty steps out of the machine without having aged a day.

“It’s not time travel as you would ordinarily think of it, where it’s like, poof! You’re in the future,” Olson said. “But you get to skip the intervening time.”
    According to quantum physicist Ivette Fuentes of the University of Nottingham, who saw Olson and Ralph present the work at a conference, it’s “one of the most interesting results” published in the last year.

“It stimulated our imaginations,” said Fuentes. “We know entanglement is a resource and we can do very interesting things with it, like quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography. We might be able to exploit this new entanglement to do interesting things.”

One such interesting thing could involve storing information in black holes, said physicist Jorma Louko, also of the University of Nottingham.

“They show that you can use the vacuum, that no-particle state, to store a lot of information in just a couple of atoms, and recover that info from other atoms later on,” Louko said. “The details of that have not been worked out, but I can foresee that the ideas that these authors use could be adapted to the black hole context.”

Entanglement in time could also be used to investigate as-yet-untested fundamentals of particle physics. In the 1970s, physicist Bill Unruh predicted that, if a spaceship accelerates through the empty space of a vacuum, particles should appear to pop out of the void. Particles carry energy, so they would be, in effect, a warm bath. Wave a thermometer outside, and it would record a positive temperature.

Called the Unruh effect, this is a solid prediction of quantum field theory. It’s never been observed, however, as a spaceship would have to accelerate at as-yet-unrealistic speeds to generate an effect large enough to be testable. But because timelike entanglement also involves particles emerging from vacuums, it could be used to conduct more convenient searches, relying on time rather than space.

Finding the Unruh effect would provide support for quantum field theory. But it might be even more exciting not to see the effect, Olson said.

“It would be more of a shocking result,” Olson said. “If you didn’t see it, something would be very wrong with our understanding.”
    Source

edit: Heh, this thread's giving me cloning ads.

This thread is giving Cleveland 1 Day Restaurant Deals.

Finally. (re: mammoth cloning)

“It’s not time travel as you would ordinarily think of it, where it’s like, poof! You’re in the future,” Olson said. “But you get to skip the intervening time.”
    And the difference is...??

I think just that you're not actually moving through time at all, but rather that you're just not around to experience it. I don't know what the practical differences are between the two.

When you're around, what dictates the arrow of time? Everyone experiences entropy in the same direction.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Isn't everything time symmetric at the level they're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    No, but did it end with some kind of zombie firefight?
    If you need help with learning how to survive a zombie outbreak. I'm your guy. My friends and I have spent days playing Nazi Zombie...

While on vacation, a 7-year-old Coweta County girl made a discovery that has been buried for millions of years.

“I found a Saber Tooth Tiger skull,” said Kylie Ferguson, of Sharpsburg.

Ferguson and her family were visiting the Badlands National Park in South Dakota last summer when she stumbled across the fossil. On Thursday, the skull went in for a CT scan at the Rapid City Regional Hospital.

“This fossil is very unique because of the incredible preservation of the skull. We just have so much detail preserved,” National Parks Service’s Rachel Benton said.

Benton said the skull was preserved in limestone for 33 million years. After all those years, the cat's teeth were fully intact.

Benton said the skull was also marked by unusual bite marks, creating a mystery around the animal’s death.

“Probably two animals were in mortal combat over territory and hopefully with the CT scan we'll get some extra info and be able to determine that,” Benton said.

X-rays will be sent to the South Dakota School of Mines, where they will be used to build a model of the skull.

Ferguson’s parents said they are excited their daughter can take part in solving the mystery.

“We were tickled pink for her to be on the other side of the country and be able to contribute and enjoy a national park and make a significant impact to the park. That's huge,” said Ferguson’s father, Tom.

Benton said it's not unusual for a child to uncover a fossil because they are closer to the ground and have a great imagination.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26662591/detail.html

Moar cool sciencey shit...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...-space-weather

You know, this morning I was watching the Today show while I was getting out of the shower - they talked about solar flares for a minute, and all I could think about was the Stargate episode 1969.

They are going to keep going though, instead of staying at opposite ends. Why wouldn't they pull out their reverse thrusters once they're at opposite ends? Oh yeah, they probably don't have reverse thrusters...

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    They are going to keep going though, instead of staying at opposite ends. Why wouldn't they pull out their reverse thrusters once they're at opposite ends? Oh yeah, they probably don't have reverse thrusters...
    What are you talking about
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I think just that you're not actually moving through time at all, but rather that you're just not around to experience it. I don't know what the practical differences are between the two.
    In one you are instantly transported to the future, the intervening time no longer exists, from your perspective. In the other the intervening time passes without your presence but can still affect you (i.e. some quantum level event can destroy you, or prevent your exit back into normal reality). From your viewpoint there is no difference between the two, unless the bad quantum thingie happens. In that case still no difference, except you don't know that, you're either dead or stuck. This just an intuitive opinion, anyone else got a better idea?
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Rumor: LHC Sees Hint of the Higgs Boson

A leaked internal memo from physicists working at the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva reports a whiff of the Higgs boson, the long-sought theoretical particle that could make or break the standard model of particle physics.

The preliminary note, which is still under review, was posted April 21 in an anonymous comment on physicist Peter Woit’s blog, “Not Even Wrong.” Four physicists claim that ATLAS, one of the LHC’s all-purpose particle hunting experiments, caught a Higgs particle decaying into two high-energy photons — but at a much higher rate than the standard model predicts.

“The present result is the first definitive observation of physics beyond the standard model,” the note says. “Exciting new physics, including new particles, may be expected to be found in the very near future.”

The word from CERN, which operates the LHC, is that the leaked note is not an official result, and hasn’t been backed up by the cast of thousands that makes up the rest of the ATLAS collaboration.

“It’s way, way too early to say if there’s anything in it or not,” said CERN spokesman James Gillies. “The vast majority of these notes get knocked down before they ever see the light of day.”

A member of the ATLAS collaboration who wished to remain anonymous noted that unexpected signals show up in the data pretty frequently, and turn out to be due to errors or biases that went uncorrected. The signal is much more likely to be a fluke than anything else.

The mood in the physics blogosphere is mixed between cautious excitement and outright denial.

“It may well turn out to be a false alarm … or it could be the discovery of the century … stay tuned,” wrote a blogger called Jester at Résonaances, a blog that covers particle theory from Paris.

But graduate student Sarah Kavassalis at The Language of Bad Physics counters, “Until there is an official statement from the collaboration, or even one of the co-authors, this is just gossip. Don’t get excited. Seriously.”

This isn’t the first time a Higgs rumor has swept the physics community, either. A possible detection came from the CDF experiment at the Tevatron, a particle accelerator at Fermilab in Illinois, in July 2010. Blogger and physicist Tommaso Dorigo notes that CDF ought to have seen this new signal if it’s really there.

Whether the Higgs is there or not, the paper is real. Physicists with access to the paper say it begins, “It is the purpose of this Note to report the first experimental observation at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) of the Higgs particle.”

“It’s exciting stuff if it’s true,” Gillies said.

The standard model of particle physics is widely regarded as a theory of almost everything, explaining most of what we know about matter with 17 subatomic particles. But only 16 of those particles have been observed. The holdout is the Higgs boson, which was introduced in the 1960s to explain why matter has mass.

Finding the Higgs is one of the main goals of the LHC, a 17-mile-long underground tunnel near the border of France and Switzerland. Protons traveling around this tunnel at near-light speeds smash into each other and create new particles that only exist at very high energies.

These particles quickly decay into a flurry of other, more mundane particles like photons. Detectors like ATLAS and its twin, called CMS, can track the masses and paths that those ordinary particles take, and use their paths to reconstruct what happened in the collision.

The authors of the note, led by physicist Sau Lan Wu of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, say that ATLAS saw two photons whose energies add up to 115 gigaelectronvolts (GeV). That’s the sort of thing you might expect if the Higgs boson had a mass of 115 GeV divided by the speed of light squared. (Because energy and mass are related by Einstein’s famous E=mc2 equation, particle physicists often speak of mass and energy interchangeably. For comparison, a proton has a mass of about 0.9 GeV/c2.)

That mass is suggestive. The LHC’s predecessor, the Large Electron-Positron Collider, or LEP, also may have seen a hint of a Higgs with the same mass in 2000, just weeks before LEP was shut down to make way for the LHC. Wu was also involved in that possible detection.

But if ATLAS really saw something, it’s something decidedly unusual, the researchers report. If an experiment produces the standard model’s version of the Higgs boson, only one in 100,000 of them will decay into two photons. The signal at ATLAS is 30 times bigger than the standard model predicts, meaning either they produced 30 times more Higgs bosons than expected, or 30 in 100,000 of them turned into two photons.

The purported signal could be a signature of supersymmetry, an extension of the standard model in which every particle has a “superpartner” that differs only in a quantum mechanical property called spin. Or it could be a particle that goes beyond the standard model altogether. One candidate is a hypothetical particle called the radion, which is associated with extra dimensions.

“Everybody wants to see something that takes us beyond the standard model,” Gillies said. “Finding a standard-model Higgs at the LHC … from a physics perspective it would be quite a boring thing. There’s a lot of hope and expectation that we can find something beyond the standard model.”

In the meantime, the LHC is charging forward into new territory. Around midnight Swiss time April 22, the LHC set a new record for beam intensity. The collider is scheduled to run at its current energy level, which is only half of what it’s capable of, until the end of 2012.

That should be plenty of time to tell if the standard model Higgs exists or not, said ATLAS collaboration member Gustaaf Brooijmans of Columbia University in a press briefing in February.

“With the 2012 run added, in principle we believe we can exclude the existence of the Higgs boson over the full range, of course if it doesn’t exist,” he said. “If it exists we would see a small signal. Then it depends on what the mass is, what kind of signal we will see.”
    Source

Very preliminary, not confirmed, yada yada yada, of course, but cool if it pans out.

Would be neat if the hardon collider validated itself so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Back to the gay underware parties again Dread?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

A 10-year study has revealed that the electron is very spherical indeed.

To be precise, the electron differs from being perfectly round by less than 0.000000000000000000000000001 cm. To put that in context; if an electron was the size of the solar system, it would be out from being perfectly round by less than the width of a human hair.

The Imperial College team behind the research, which was conducted on molecules of ytterbium flouride, used a laser to make measurements of the motion of electrons, and in particular the wobble they exhibit when spinning. They observed no such wobble, implying that the electron is perfectly round at the levels of precision available, reflected in the figure above.

The co-author of the report describing the research, Jony Hudson, said: “We’re really pleased that we’ve been able to improve our knowledge of one of the basic building blocks of matter. It’s been a very difficult measurement to make, but this knowledge will let us improve our theories of fundamental physics. People are often surprised to hear that our theories of physics aren’t ‘finished’, but in truth they get constantly refined and improved by making ever more accurate measurements like this one.”

The next step is to up that precision level even further, using new methods to cool the molecules to extremely low temperatures and control their motion. The results are important in the study of antimatter, and particularly the positron — which should behave identically to the electron but with an opposite electrical charge. If more differences can be found, it could help to explain why far less antimatter has been discovered in the universe than predicted by theory.
    Source

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Are they talking about the classical electron radius? Because I've been taught that the electron itself is zero-dimensional.

And can't those morons use SI units?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?