Thread: Want to legally abuse kids? Be a teacher!

Default Want to legally abuse kids? Be a teacher!

It was November of 2004, 13 year old Johnathan King, a Hall County student, hanged himself with a rope in a seclusion room. Attorney Leslie Lipson with the Georgia Advocacy Office, a federally funded non profit, talked about the case.

"His parents never knew he was put in there." Lipson says parents do not have to be notified when their children are restrained or put in seclusion rooms at school. In King's case, she says his parents had no idea he was spending hours alone in a virtual cell.

"He came home and said 'Mom I had time out today.' She thought it was traditionally what parents mean when they say time out. But he was being locked in a room that closely resembles a prison cell."

During one of those seclusions, King hung himself with a rope a teacher had given him to hold up his pants.

In May of last year, Cherokee County teacher Laurie Peavy and parapro Nancy Cheek were arrested and charged with cruelty to children. Prosecutors say Peavy duct taped a 17 year old boy with Autism to his chair.

Lipson says, "Currently in Georgia it is a wild west. There is no requirement or rules or limitations whatsoever. It is bad because it's a dangerous practice."

Georgia's Department of Education will vote later this year on a proposal to end seclusion and restraints in school, a practice most often used with students with special needs.

"We're looking for the Department of Education to put safeguards forth that make this practice greatly reduced and eventually eliminated."

Forums are being held across the state on the topic, from Valdosta to Athens to Macon to Atlanta.

The Department of Education could vote on a proposal as early as May.

The information below is how to learn more about the issue and contact officials who will vote later this year.

From Leslie Lipson, attorney, The Georgia Advocacy Office

Currently, students in Georgia schools can be restrained and secluded in public schools for any reason, in any way, at any time. And parents don't have to be told about it. The Safe Schools Initiative is working to change this dangerous practice by working together with the Department of Education to pass a strong rule that protects both students and staff.

The Georgia Advocacy Office, in collaboration with The Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities, the Center for Leadership in Disability at Georgia State University, the Institute on Human Development and Disability at the University of Georgia, and Parent to Parent of Georgia urges the Georgia State Board of Education to promulgate a rule that protects all Georgia students from restraint and seclusion and which encourages the proactive use of Positive Behavior Supports in Georgia public schools.

The Web site of the Georgia Advocacy Office, Georgia's protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities has information about the Safe Schools Initiative including links to the second (and current) draft of the Department of Education's rule; a Declaration on ending Restraint and Seclusion that we are asking people to sign; the GAO's comments regarding the DOE's second draft rule; a flyer announcing the 4 public forums and 2 webinars (that have since passed); and a sample letter that people can use as a guide to making public comments.

Additionally, the Parent to Parent Web site contains more background information regarding the national reports regarding restraint and seclusion which have provided momentum for the current movement in Georgia.
    Lovely, huh.

Isn't it just fantastic to know that schools have the right to do psychological damage to children, without parental consent? Corporal punishment in schools is despicable enough (and still allowed, although not commonly used), but the fact that this ass-backward state doesn't regulate other types of abuse by teachers/administrators disgusts me even more.

Seems its only a problem if you get caught.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

First off, on the idea of this is a school disciplinary practice at all, wtf? Second, on the comment that this is used most often for the special-ed kids, WTF?!?!?!?! My fucking god, that's not how you get through to a kid with Downs. Sure, a bit of relative isolation may help calm down some autistic fits, but it damn well needs to be monitored. I'm stunned. What bunch of morons sets up a policy like this?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    First off, on the idea of this is a school disciplinary practice at all, wtf? Second, on the comment that this is used most often for the special-ed kids, WTF?!?!?!?! My fucking god, that's not how you get through to a kid with Downs. Sure, a bit of relative isolation may help calm down some autistic fits, but it damn well needs to be monitored. I'm stunned. What bunch of morons sets up a policy like this?
    Oh, and when you start fixing that problem you'll find out that they do it because there isn't enough money to hire adequate staff. After which no money is found to change anything.
    Congratulations America

It's not unethical because it's for their own good.

Lolli, I urge you to do whatever you can to help make this a national concern. Better education for teachers and people involved in education pls.

No teacher left behind

I'm really furious about this.

It amazes me that something that would honestly be considered abuse if done by a parent could at all be considered in a school.

Maybe the people in charge believe this sort of thing helps teach kids humility and builds their character...

I'm guessing this stuff doesn't occur in your neighbourhood??

Not that I have heard, at least not officially sanctioned. I know that my particular school district doesn't use corporal punishment, too.

Student Conduct: General Provisions JIC 1/11/06

RATIONALE/OBJECTIVE:

The (District) is dedicated to sound discipline practices in the continuing effort to provide students in the District an effective and safe learning environment, to promote learning, and to encourage maturity during the school day as well as during all school-related activities.

The District recognizes that parents/guardians are ultimately responsible for the behavior of their children, including their adherence to the ( District) Codes of Conduct and other Administrative Rules. However, the ( District) also recognizes concerns for the welfare of students from their entry on a school bus or school property to their return to the bus stop or when they leave school property. Therefore, schools will take appropriate actions in an effort to provide students and staff a safe and orderly environment.

RULE:

A. Maintaining proper student conduct shall be the joint responsibility of the school

principal, the faculty, and the other school employees.

B. Student Support Team Process:

The Student Support Team process is designed to provide alternatives that build on

academic and/or behavioral strengths of students rather than focus on academic and/or

behavioral deficits.

C. Age Appropriate Discipline:

The District follows a policy of age appropriate discipline. To this end, factors to be

considered in determining the consequences for students will include, but not be limited

to age, the maturity level of the student, willfulness and intent, and other circumstances

as are deemed appropriate by the principal or designee.

D. DIRECTIVES:

To maintain proper student conduct, the following directives shall be observed:

1. Students whose behavior requires the attention of the principal or designee shall be

referred to the principal or designee’s office immediately.

2. Corporal punishment shall not be used as a disciplinary procedure in the

School ( District).

3. Groups of students should not be disciplined for the actions of an individual or

individuals.

4. Teachers shall not place students in the halls or other unsupervised areas of the

schools as a disciplinary measure.

5. When written work is used as a disciplinary measure, it shall be of an educational

nature.

6. Students who are allegedly guilty of misconduct or of violating the Student Code of

Conduct and may be subject to out-of-school suspension shall be afforded the

following:

a. The student shall be given oral or written notice of the allegation against him/her

and an explanation of the evidence the school authorities have regarding his/her

involvement.

b. The student shall be given an opportunity to state his/her version of events.

c. If circumstances prevent the principal or designee from affording a student the

opportunity to discuss his/her version of the events or the evidence:

(1) The principal or designee will make a reasonable attempt to contact the

student as soon as practicable.

(2) If such attempt is made and is unsuccessful, the principal or designee will

proceed with assigning the discipline.

7. All disciplinary actions shall be in compliance with the District

Codes of Conduct and other applicable Administrative Rules.

E. When, in good faith, reasonable force is used by school personnel to restrain a student

who is perceived by school personnel to be a threat to themselves or others and as a

result thereof, civil or criminal action is instituted by the student, guardian or parent on

behalf of the student, the District will provide legal representation to the personnel

involved pursuant to Administrative Rule EIB (Indemnification and Protection for District

Personnel). Such representation will consist of representation by the Board of Education

attorney or designee.

1. It is recommended that whenever reasonable force is used, that each employee

involved shall construct an anecdotal report of all facts pertaining to the incident and

their role in the incident.

2. In the event that criminal or civil action may be instituted, the incident shall be

reported to the Area Assistant Superintendent and either the Policy and Planning

Division or Special Student Services Division, as appropriate.

3. Nothing herein will preclude school personnel from employing their own personal

attorney.
    The only change I made was taking out the name of the district.

Where's Lewk blaming unions? (Teachers unions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    Where's Lewk blaming unions? (Teachers unions)
    Lewk has been supportive of unions in the SCOTUS thread. At first I thought his support was inadvertent but ...
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Hard to believe so many agencies are needed to change this barbaric practice. Way to go, Georgia.

It's like this in SC too. I just shake my head at how these kids get treated. Makes no sense to me