0 0%
  • Fox News

0 0%
  • Other (please name)

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Freeee Market?

Default Freeee Market?

....or cornering a market, insider trading (that's been a hot news topic lately), lax regulation, or media "hysteria"? Similar thing happened with cocoa recently, but then the news died down.

So, whom do you trust most in these kinds of scenarios? Poll attached!

Trader Holds $3 Billion of Copper in London

As commodity prices soar to new records, the ability of a few traders to hold huge swaths of the world's stockpiles is coming under scrutiny.

The latest example is in the copper market, where a single trader has reported it owns 80% to 90% of the copper sitting in London Metal Exchange warehouses, equal to about half of the world's exchange-registered copper stockpile and worth about $3 billion.

The report coincided with copper prices soaring to new records on Tuesday. Commodities prices rallied along with stocks. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 55.03 points, or 0.48%, to 11533.16, its highest level since August 2008. Crude oil jumped to its highest level in more than two years and topped $90 a barrel in late electronic trading in New York. Corn and soybeans rose amid worries about hot weather in Argentina.

Copper soared to a new record of $4.2705 per pound on Tuesday in New York, and is up 28.3% this year. The LME's three-month copper contract closed at $9,353.50 a metric ton, up 1.6% on the day, a new record.

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. recently had a large position in copper, though it is unclear whether the U.S. bank increased its holdings, or whether a new player has taken dominant position.

"Regardless of who owns it, the only thing of note here is that we are being told that one person has a substantial position," said David Threlkeld, president of Resolved Inc., a metals consultancy.

Single traders also own large holdings of other metals. One trader holds as much as 90% of the exchange's aluminum stocks. In the nickel, zinc and aluminum alloy markets, single traders own between 50% to 80% of those metals and one firm has 40% to 50% of the LME's tin stockpiles.

While commodities exchanges scrutinize all holdings to ensure a single player isn't trying to corner the market, and many of the positions are owned by big firms on behalf of clients, the large holdings do result in a concentration of ownership that could skew prices.

At the same time, thousands of new investors are flooding into the commodities markets, either directly or through exchange-traded funds, seeking to take advantage of an expected rise in prices of raw materials as the global economy continues to recover.

While commodities regulators in the U.S. are considering restricting the amount of futures contracts any one trader can hold, they have no jurisdiction over physical holdings.

The LME has strict rules to prevent market squeezes but does not limit how much metal a single trader may hold. Instead, the exchange demands the dominant holder make metal available for short-term periods at very limited profit margins. The LME says it closely watches individual holdings.

Copper demand is likely to outstrip supply this year by an estimated 455,000 metric tons, says Barclays Capital. Copper inventories at the LME have been declining since February.

Consumption is growing rapidly in China, Brazil and the U.S. And the creation of ETFs to hold physical metal is helping drive demand. On Tuesday, ETF Securities, a London-based provider, said that its newly-announced copper-backed ETF has added about 850.5 tons of copper, up 43%, to reach 1,445.5 tons.

Last month, the LME reported that a single holder owned more than 50% of the exchange's copper. People familiar with the matter at the time said J.P. Morgan was the holder. On Tuesday, the LME reported that a single holder now has as much as 90% of the stockpiles, without naming the firm. The LME reports data two days in arrears, so the position increased on Friday.

In the aluminum market, about 70% of the LME metal is locked up, MF Global base metals analyst Edward Meir said during LME Week in London in October.

LME aluminum stocks currently total around 4.3 million metric tons.

As one example, Swiss commodity trading firm Glencore International AG bought about 1.6 million tons of the metal from United Co. Rusal Ltd. earlier this year, market participants said at the time. Glencore then turned around and presold the metal. So even though the aluminum is sitting in LME warehouses, visible to all traders, it is effectively locked up.

These sorts of deals have skewed physical trading in these metals, as other consumers have paid increasing premiums to get hold of stocks, even though the metal looked like it was available in warehouses.

Holding ready-for-delivery metals on an exchange isn't a cheap undertaking for traders, who are responsible for paying insurance, storage and financing costs. And "the end game is to find somebody to buy something you have already bought for a higher price," Mr. Threkeld said.

The recent boom in metal prices has enabled traders to purchase the physical metal, sell a futures contract at a much higher price and still make a profit after paying for storage and insurance.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

Didn't this happen a few months ago with another commodity and it turned out to be nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Didn't this happen a few months ago with another commodity and it turned out to be nothing?
    It was cocoa. Still not sure how that panned out. But that wasn't my question......

Well, I trust them for different things. I generally trust what Fox News is reporting, but when Hannity begins his bizarro-world interpretation of global warming, for instance, or when Greta asks that ruffle-haired old-ish economist to speak, I roll my eyes.

Similarly, the local newspaper can be trusted to report what the news is, but they often mis-report or under-report the details, or parrot officials just a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Well, I trust them for different things. I generally trust what Fox News is reporting, but when Hannity begins his bizarro-world interpretation of global warming, for instance, or when Greta asks that ruffle-haired old-ish economist to speak, I roll my eyes.

Similarly, the local newspaper can be trusted to report what the news is, but they often mis-report or under-report the details, or parrot officials just a bit too much.
    +1

Hannity is a thinner version of Limbaugh...so I avoid that. I listen to the news on Fox..and some of the anchors aren't gentle with the GOP either.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

When a news program has to go before the court system, and uses the 1st amendment as a defense for their right to lie in their "news" reporting... I tend not to trust anything they try to report on.

Sure, Fox has this thing about turning Republicans into Democrats when they are caught in some hypocritical scandal, but its mainly their fear and warmongering that convinced me to put one of these on my back window

Fox News most distrusted "news" source of 2010.
    PBS most trusted.

Best part:
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Erm, math isn't your specialty, is it? Look at those numbers again. Fox was the most trusted network in 2010 (though PBS wasn't part of the sample), and is in the middle of the pack now. Not that this is a reliable measure.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yum, I sure was starving for some one line Loki insults!

I was going by total nays, which Fox won out on. The numbers aren't equal at your quick glance because the table didn't include the "not sure" option. If you ratio it out that way, Fox went from top in the last poll to the middle in this poll.

Um, in 2010, Fox had the lowest percentage of "distrust" (37%).

I see the hang up now. The polling is a yearly thing. With the 2010 data column being 2009 recorded in 2010, and the (current) 2010 data actually recorded in 2011. I'm reading it as a recap of the previous year, and you're not.

To correct above post: "Fox news most distrusted "news" source says poll published in first month of 2011."
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Fox News is also the second most trusted source, if you're going to try to subvert the stats. And of course we know that what people believe in January 2011 is more valid than what people believed in January 2010.

And what does it say about the objectiveness of criteria used when the trust and distrust of each network goes along partisan lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Fox News is also the second most trusted source, if you're going to try to subvert the stats.
    You're starting to get it now!
    And of course we know that what people believe in January 2011 is more valid than what people believed in January 2010.
    For news sources, and how they trend over a year, yeah, I consider this important. Fox had the only double digit shift from the previous year. The trust base shrank, but its more "pure" now. I'm interested to see how the poll looks after the 2012 elections (if Fox "stays the course!").
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian

Lethal injection drug production ends in the US

Sole US sodium thiopental manufacturer, Hospira, has ceased manufacturing the drug used in administering death penalties

Chris McGreal in Washington
    www.guardian.co.uk, Sunday 23 January 2011 18.17 GMT

US states are facing a new obstacle to enforcing the death penalty after the sole American manufacturer of a drug used in lethal injections announced it was ending production.

Some states have already been forced to seek alternative supplies of sodium thiopental abroad, including illicitly from British companies, in order to carry out executions because of a shortage of the anaesthetic after production was stalled by the lack of a key ingredient.

Now the US manufacturer, Hospira, says that it will stop production entirely after a bid to start making sodium thiopental in Italy stalled when the Rome government said it would only license manufacture if the drug was not used in executions.

Hospira said it intended to manufacture sodium thiopental to serve hospitals but "could not prevent the drug from being diverted to departments of corrections for use in capital punishment procedures".

"We cannot take the risk that we will be held liable by the Italian authorities if the product is diverted for use in capital punishment," the company said.

Sodium thiopental is an anaesthetic generally used before the administration of two other drugs that halt breathing and stop the heart. However, two states use sodium thiopental alone as it can kill on its own if used in high dosage.

All but one of the 35 US states that carry out executions use the drug in lethal injections. The shortage has delayed executions in California and Oklahoma and forced other states to scramble to find alternatives.

Hospira's decision will leave some states with no means to execute condemned prisoners, at least for some time, while they go through the extended legal processes of drawing up new protocols for lethal injections.

Last year, California and Arizona illicitly obtained supplies of the drug, manufactured in Austria, from a UK wholesaler, Dream Pharma, which had obtained it from the British licence holder, Archimedes Pharma UK. Arizona used the drug in the execution of a man in October. After an outcry, the British government imposed export controls on the drug in November to prevent its use in executions.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Dream Pharma had exported to Arizona all three drugs used in lethal injections, which was legal at the time.

The supply of sodium thiopental held by Texas, which carries out more lethal injections than all the other US states combined, will expire in March weeks before two scheduled executions.

California was forced to call off the execution of a man in September. It tried to obtain the drug from at least six other states and from Pakistan before securing a supply from a British importer that is sufficient for about 100 executions.

The governor of Missouri last week spared a man who had been scheduled to die on Wednesday amid speculation about its supply of drugs for lethal injection.

Tennessee obtained a supply for an execution in October but it is unclear whether it will be able to carry out others.

Oklahoma has started using pentobarbital, a drug used in doctor-assisted suicides in Oregon and by the Swiss euthanasia group, Dignitas.
    Source

My bolding.

I find this to actually be quite amusing for numerous reasons, mainly that Hospira's quest for more profits and larger markets has resulted in certain States being unable to execute their prison population via lethal injection because Hospira won't sell them the drugs necessary to perform them. To work around this the States that are affected have tried to find the drug necessary illicitly.

Another reason is that something Lewk holds dear, Capitalism and its free unfettered practice, has had detrimental results on something else he holds dear, the execution of criminals.
    . . .

We've resorted to using veterinarian medications in the US for death row lethal injections. Lewk would probably be just fine with that, too.

FYI:

Okla. Considers Using Vet Drug To Execute Inmate

by Kathy Lohr | November 18, 2010

Oklahoma is moving forward with plans to execute a prisoner despite a shortage of a drug used in lethal injections that has forced some states to temporarily halt executions.

A hearing in federal court Friday will look at the implications of adopting a different drug, one used to euthanize animals, that has never been tested on people.

Corrections officials in Oklahoma tried to find a dose of sodium thiopental to carry out the state's next execution. When they couldn't get it, they changed their protocol to allow the use of pentobarbital instead. The question before the federal court is whether substituting the new drug violates an inmate's Eighth Amendment right against cruel and unusual punishment.

Cruel And Unusual Punishment?

Jerry Massie, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections, says it does not.

"We believe that ... would meet all the constitutional requirements to carry out the execution," Massie said. "We do not believe it would be cruel and unusual punishment."

Most states use a three-drug cocktail to carry out lethal injections: The first drug, the one that isn't available, is an anesthetic that renders a person unconscious; the second drug is a paralytic; and the third stops the heart.

States outline exactly how the lethal injection process will take place, and some legal experts say officials can't just change the procedure at will.

"The state is basically experimenting on the execution of a human being using a drug that's never been used before, and this is really a first," said Deborah Denno, a law professor at Fordham University in New York.

She says the court will look at many issues involving pentobarbital, which is used to euthanize animals. There are questions about the proper dose for people, and, Denno says, if the first drug in the cocktail does not work properly, it would be a violation of an inmate's rights.

"There's consensus among experts, pro-death-penalty and anti-death-penalty experts alike, that if this drug [the anesthesia] is not effective ... the injection of the other two drugs would constitute cruel and unusual punishment because the inmate would be aware of the pain and suffering," she said.

Drug Shortage

John David Duty is set to be executed Dec. 16 in Oklahoma. While in prison, he strangled his cell mate.

In court briefs filed on his behalf, attorneys argue that pentobarbital is unsafe and is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. They say there have been numerous problems in executions across the country even with the drug that has been tested. Defense lawyers also say the new drug is not an ultra-short-acting barbiturate, as the law requires.

Two states, Ohio and Washington, now use a single-drug protocol in executions, which means prisoners get a massive dose of sodium thiopental. Others are trying to figure out what to do while the drug shortage continues.

"Some states have announced that they have an adequate supply of sodium thiopental," said Megan McCracken, Eighth Amendment counsel at the Death Penalty Clinic at the University of California, Berkeley. "Other states have had trouble obtaining the drug and have either turned to other states to get it or, as we've learned recently, have had to seek it from a foreign source, from another country."

Arizona officials carried out an execution in October with a dose they obtained from the United Kingdom. In California and Kentucky, executions are on hold because their doses expired. Tennessee officials recently obtained the drug but wouldn't say where they got it.

The company that makes sodium thiopental, Hospira, has said it can't produce the drug this year, but it could be available early next year. In the meantime, legal experts suggest the Oklahoma proposal of using another more widely available anesthetic could set a new standard for lethal injection.

Source: NPR
    http://www.kqed.org/news/story/2010/...r&category=u.s

(I haven't looked into NPR articles, but that may be where I first heard about using vet meds for death row humans.)

Interesting that this debate doesn't stir larger questions about the death penalty itself...yet. I mean, we're actually having extensive hearings about whether a lethal drug is cruel and unusual?

I understand of course that the goal is to avoid painful deaths, but the state is still putting people to death. Just seems somewhat odd.

Wowsa, now I'm seeing Amnesty International ads protesting the Georgia's execution of Troy Davis.

Same banner ad here.