Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Blue (alpha test)

Default Classic Blue (alpha test)

Illusions has been hard at work over the past several days building a classic blue style for us. It's not quite ready yet, but he wanted to get feedback on it, especially the color/aesthetic choices, so I've uploaded it to this site for anyone who wants to check it out.

Once this classic blue style is complete, I'd like to deprecate the 'Dark Vision' style, if nobody has any objections.

I much prefer the dark vision style to the classic blue. Not that I don't appreciate Illusions for going to the effort, but if the classic blue is my only option I'll go for the blinding white to avoid having to see so much yellow.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I could probably toss together a child style for Classic Blue once it's ready that inherits all the settings and code, and only changes the text colors to white/grey.

Colors are good
    B I U need to be highlighted to be able to see
    For some reason, i can't see what I type, even if I did change the text colors.

If we get enough feedback against the Orange/Yellow links I can switch to some other color. Only a few color changes were done here and there, otherwise all the colors have been kept for nostalgic reasons, even though I said I was going to kill that one color...

Additional Information: If you see a large amount of red, or green, it means that there was some property that either wasn't documented, or wasn't showing an effect, so I marked it in case anyone else noticed it. A link and how you came to see it would be appreciated. If you see pink however, I know its there, and I'm likely working on it.

Other Information: Haven't started the images yet, those are things like Razor mentioned like the B I U, or the pencil next to Edit Post etc. Also, I have not yet found or seen a way to change the textbox colors for quick reply and regular reply...so I might have to speak to Wraith about that. The same problem occurs in the dark style.
    Last edited by Illusions; 01-27-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    . . .

I like the blue, and how the links are easier to find. Thet bright white text box is a little distracting, and for some reason poll options are superduperuper tiny.

Looks good from here, crisp. I prefer the dark theme, but this is okay once the images etc.. get worked. It's not yellow, it's goldenrod dammit.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I like the blue, and how the links are easier to find. Thet bright white text box is a little distracting, and for some reason poll options are superduperuper tiny.
    Noted about the poll. I'll see if I can change this. Probably going to change the results colors as well...I honestly hate how the poll is setup though.
    . . .

Good work.

Text in the text box needs to be white, though
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Ouch. Mouseover a friend in ucp makes it bright bright green.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Just switched. I'm getting a bit weepy here. It's like seeing an old friend.

Very nice
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

May repeat others but here goes:

1) Black text while typing in quick reply
    2) Buttons around the entire place - your already aware of anyway so why i'm mentioning it i have no idea!
    3) Smaller thread logo/buttons to the left of the thread title on forum main list of threads.
    4) Highlighting a link at the top of the forum where it has the following: Forum > General Forums > Site Discussion > Classic Blue (alpha test)
    goes light blue rather than match the dark blue.

I am nit picking but only as I am yet to find anything wrong with the foundation really aspect of Illusions hard work. Kudos dude, I take my hat off to you - done well.
    Last edited by Lor; 01-27-2010 at 08:15 PM.

OMG! I love the colors! So far, so good. Will come back and give a more in depth opinion after I browse around a bit with it.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

Once this classic blue style is complete, I'd like to deprecate the 'Dark Vision' style, if nobody has any objections.
    I'm with Lolli. I actually prefer Dark Vision.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Alright then. I think Flixy mentioned wanting to keep that one too. We'll keep it, and I'll start fixing up the style problems it currently has.

Thanks Illusions, you've made my day

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to see what I can do about these. I'll inform Wraith when they're ready...
    . . .

Whats wrong with this picture?

Click to view the full version

1 - Padding is screwed up on some things (like radio buttons, check boxes, input fields, dropdown menus, etc.) causing related text to not be shown.
    *Edit - Thanks to my checking this on Chrome, it appears its not just padding but apparently the font is size 0, which every other browser renders as not being there, but in Chrome, its super tiny. Awesome, will check into this.
    2 - Have not yet found which stylevar controls the widgets on the left there, so they still have the default white background, borders, etc. where-as the header background and link colors are controlled by a common stylevar.
    3 - There is no The World Forgotten banner yet, so I opted to just not include it. On Firefox you wouldn't get a red X, just a small "The World Forgotten" title.
    4 - You're using Internet Explorer, which does not support some of the CSS that vBulletin 4 uses, like apparently radius, which gives some of the buttons, headers, etc. a 3px rounded edge instead of a square one.
    Last edited by Illusions; 01-28-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    . . .

I mostly like what you've done, Illusions. The new post/no new posts and the forum icons (new posts or no) are too bland and hard to tell apart.

Also how difficult is it to change the secondary colour, ie orange here? If it's just a few clicks, an alternative blue classic with lighter blue/cyan instead of orange would be smashing
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I mostly like what you've done, Illusions. The new post/no new posts and the forum icons (new posts or no) are too bland and hard to tell apart.
    Yeah, they're not very informative at all, and since it takes more work to make an icon set than to change some colors, and vB makes it round-about to change which icon set to use, idk why vBulletin settled on those. I've been grabbing the old icons off of Atari when they become available (like when Timmy closed a thread I hadn't visited yet nor read I finally got the new + locked icon, I think I'm still missing new + you've posted + locked, and I think hot + I haven't posted + locked)...those I'll be changing soon, so they should look like they do on the Atari boards. Some things that most likely won't change are the Reply to Thread, Post Quick Reply, Etc. buttons. This is because buttons like Post Quick Reply, Go Advanced, Cancel, etc. are all controlled by the same CSS code, and vB doesn't give an upfront option to change them to images. So if I hack it and make the background image for Post Quick Reply/Post Reply to the old Atari image, its also going to show up in Go Advanced and Cancel. Reply to Thread is the same, as the CSS for that also controls the Blog and Article replies, and I think making a new thread.

Also how difficult is it to change the secondary colour, ie orange here? If it's just a few clicks, an alternative blue classic with lighter blue/cyan instead of orange would be smashing
    Not too difficult, and if Wraith doesn't mind an additional child style that'll be the next style after Classic Blue gets done that I work on, as I don't really like the orange either. In addition if anyone finds anything that while true to the nostalgic feel of the original is unappealing to themselves, feel free to mention it, and I'll see if I can work it into a child style.

Note to Self: Find way to center Avatars and add padding, change username size - if possible.
    Edit: Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I can't see a damned thing when editing and I'm going entirely on touch typing this out.
    Last edited by Illusions; 01-28-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Not too difficult, and if Wraith doesn't mind an additional child style that'll be the next style after Classic Blue gets done that I work on, as I don't really like the orange either.
    Add children as much as you want, especially if you're only messing with the stylevars. It's the templates that cause the extra support work.

I actually like the gold, but that might just be because it's so familiar. I remember bitching about it when we moved from Delphi.

Note to Self: Find way to center Avatars and add padding, change username size - if possible.
    Hint taken.

Hint taken.
    I was actually leaving a note to myself as I tend to accumulate To Do lists and other things...the mad face is actually at vBulletin for making all this stuff so unintuitive...
    . . .

Too late. Already centered the avatar in the test place. On my way to find the username size.

edit: Found that now too. It's set to be standard font size. A new stylevar will need to be created to use for it.

Too late. Already centered the avatar in the test place. On my way to find the username size.
    So what controlled it? And if you do find the other, what controls that?
    . . .

The html controls it. I just added center tags around the image in the html. I've already forgotten which template I was in. postbit_legacy, I think?

The username size is in postbit.css - ".postbit .userinfo .username, .postbit .userinfo_noavatar .username "

I think that's the one, anyways. Haven't verified yet.

Sounds good, if I want to do any future changes at least I know I shouldn't be trying to find it in stylevars...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    2 - Have not yet found which stylevar controls the widgets on the left there, so they still have the default white background, borders, etc. where-as the header background and link colors are controlled by a common stylevar.
    Looks like usercp_nav_blockbody_background

Looks like usercp_nav_blockbody_background
    Thanks got that worked out, however...

Usernames above avatars are controlled by the stylevar "font", which is called Global Font in the editor after you click on it, so making this bigger has obvious side effects...
    . . .

You should be able to change it, or just type in a new font directly into the template.