Thread: Russian Terrorist Attack: At least 31 Killed

Default Russian Terrorist Attack: At least 31 Killed

Suicide bomber kills 31 at Russia's biggest airport

By Amie Ferris-Rotman
    MOSCOW | Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23am EST

MOSCOW (Reuters) - At least 31 people were killed and more than 100 injured on Monday in a suicide bombing at Russia's biggest airport, Russian news agencies reported.

Russia's ruble-dominated stock market MICEX fell by nearly two percent following the blast, which ripped through the baggage claim area at Moscow's Domodedovo airport at 1332 GMT.

Smoke wafted out of the baggage claim area and people were seen running out of the emergency exits at the airport, local media reported.
    Initial casualty figures were contradictory with ITAR-TASS saying about 20 people had been killed. A spokeswoman for prosecutors put the number of casualties at about 20.

Moscow suffered its worst attack in six years in March 2010 when two female suicide bombers from Russia's volatile Dagestan region set off explosives in the metro, killing 40 people.

The Kremlin is struggling to contain an Islamist insurgency in the mainly Muslim North Caucasus, and rebels have repeatedly vowed they will take their battle to the Russian heartland.

I don't remember bombs being used in No Russian...

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    (Slow Clap)

Tasteless jokes aside, that is really nasty, especially considering the U.S doesn't have any idea about who might have done it.
    U.S. officials say they have no intelligence indicating who might have been responsible for the Moscow airport blast.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41231668...d_news-europe/
    I enjoy blank walls.

I'd be incredibly surprised if it was anyone but a Muslim group from the northern Caucasus.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Well it is possible that this somehow related to the 2012 presidential election, and the long advertised conflict between Putin and Medvedev. At least some of my friends who in the course of their business get to meet some people who supposedly know what is happening, have been predicting something to this effect 2 weeks ago for the above reasons. I mostly discounted it but now am not so certain.

It's possible, but I'm with Loki here. Putin's insane war has reaped this harvest for a long time now.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

how was the war insane? While far from perfect the situation pre war vs after war demonstrates it as a resounding success. In terms of sanity it was probably one of the more logical conflicts, there was a clear problem, clear territorial jurisdiction and finally a solution. While solution is not yet complete and there are some people including the current president (Kadirov) as well as some terrorist leaders hiding out in London that could use a bullet in the head, it is still clearly better then it was before when kidnaping, slavery, murder were openly practiced on the republics territory?
    Or are you talking about Georgian war which probably has nothing to do with this, and should Russia have not participated in it if anything would lead to more acts such as this for the betrayal of the populace there.

They killed a whole bunch more civvies than the two latest US wars, for starters.

Anyhows, Interfax and some Russian sources are now saying Loki called it right, so never mind.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Because I actualy ever suggested even for a second that the official news line will be anything but what loki said?

They killed a whole bunch more civvies than the two latest US wars, for starters. - That is some pretty good bullshit. Or are you just counting US civilian casualtie?

I might be, sorry.

Wow, you crumble easily nowadays, Ness.

I don't know that much about the Chechen conflicts! Can't argue from ignorance. I've only been exposed to the outrage of local media and Politkovskaya.