Thread: The iDeely...err, Pad

Default The iDeely...err, Pad

The Apple iPad: starting at $499

After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, 802.11n WiFi and optional 3G, as well as an accelerometer and a compass. There's also a keyboard dock, which connects underneath in the portrait orientation, support for up to 1024x768 VGA out and 480p composite out through new dock adapter cables, and a camera attachment kit that lets you import photos from your camera over USB or directly through an SD reader. The device is managed by iTunes, just like the iPhone -- you sync everything over to your Mac. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today. The 3G version runs on AT&T and comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month contract-free. Activations are handled on the iPad, so you can activate and cancel whenever you want. Every iPad is unlocked and comes with a GSM "micro-SIM," so you can use it abroad, but there aren't any international deals in place right now -- Steve says they'll be back "this summer" with news on that front.

It starts at $499 for 16GB, 32GB for $599, and $699 64GB. Adding 3G costs a $130 per model, so the most expensive model (64GB / 3G) is $829. The WiFi-only model will ship in 60 days, and the 3G models will come in 90.

iSource
    Pretty, innit? First impressions for me are that it's an answer to a question nobody asked. Ooh, a bigger iPhone that for all it's size and crap still can't multitask. I'd imagine holding the thing (which is heavier than expected apparently) with one hand and working with the other would get pretty annoying, but don't worry, you can buy a few docks for it! The iBookstore sounds neat, but it leads me to wonder why they didn't just make a damn e(i?)Reader.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by NGS; 01-27-2010 at 11:50 PM.

So, is it the bigger version of the iPhone?

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Why?

Worst name since the Wii.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    I have to wonder what the market for this is other than Apple Fans.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Massive iPod touch or neutered netbook? I still can't tell. Regardless, it's going to sell millions because it's made by Apple.

When can we expect to see the iTampon?
    Last edited by Dattu; 01-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
    Your search had no results.

iPod = iPad

Really, simple huge difference by substituting a vowel to market the product to the masses.

CUPERTINO, CA—Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of shit! Just stick already!" Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A whole new line of feminine products...

Oh come on, it's not that bad. It's clearly put in the market to compete with eReaders, but with some neat extra features. If I ever may want to buy an eReader, this will probably on the shortlist. Other than that; indeed the answer to the question that wasn't posed.

Oh, and did Apple really enable bluetooth on this machine or is it their particular version again that doesn't really work with any non-apple device?
    Congratulations America

It's supposed to be Apple's response to the Kindle.

Meh, another bandwagon. I'll buy the updated version 10 years from now, if it appears worth it.

Well, gizmodo wasn't dripping with igasms the way I thought it would be.

I don't see any realistic advantage to this. It looks like a rushed, unfinished product. At the very least, with that much screen, why can't I just manually control the size and location of the keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Oh come on, it's not that bad. It's clearly put in the market to compete with eReaders, but with some neat extra features. If I ever may want to buy an eReader, this will probably on the shortlist. Other than that; indeed the answer to the question that wasn't posed.

Oh, and did Apple really enable bluetooth on this machine or is it their particular version again that doesn't really work with any non-apple device?
    This is not an ereader. Its damn near impossible to read novels or chapter books on computer monitors. The backlight puts far to much strain on the eye. Thats why people go for the Kindle or Sony's ereaders over netbooks or tablets.
    And for once, Sony is using an open format on their ereader, which is a huge step over the Kindle or anything Apple makes.

and you're looking at $630+ for a model that can do what your average smartphone can already do (without Flash support).

Don't get me wrong, I love how technology catches up to the crap we used to watch on StarTrek; companies love riding Apple's coat tails, commonly creating better devices in an area Apple jumped into first. I hope this maxIpad attempt puts more fire under other start ups like the Crunchpad (JooJoo) Windows 7 has far more advanced tablet and screen writing abilities.

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-28-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

This is not an ereader. Its damn near impossible to read novels or chapter books on computer monitors. The backlight puts far to much strain on the eye. Thats why people go for the Kindle or Sony's ereaders over netbooks or tablets.
    And for once, Sony is using an open format on their ereader, which is a huge step over the Kindle or anything Apple makes.
    Well, that's bullshit if I've ever heard it. I don't know anyone who has wasted money on designated ereaders when a computer monitor works much better - because, well, you see, the display areas on those things are so pathetically small that you wind up having to click to change pages every 1 or 2 seconds. I have never had any eyestrain from reading anything on a computer monitor, but I have from reading off a PDA.

This ipad with the unfortunate name might possibly work great.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I would consider one if it ran on OSX. Iphone OS is ridiculously restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The backlight puts far to much strain on the eye.
    That's actually a myth. There's no difference between direct light and reflected light.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

The answer to life's most important question.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Well, that's bullshit if I've ever heard it. I don't know anyone who has wasted money on designated ereaders when a computer monitor works much better - because, well, you see, the display areas on those things are so pathetically small that you wind up having to click to change pages every 1 or 2 seconds. I have never had any eyestrain from reading anything on a computer monitor, but I have from reading off a PDA.

This isn't one of those "my opinion" type things. Its based off hard facts and studies that date back to when PDAs where still using monochrome screens instead of following the cellphone designs. Most ereaders now are the size of paperbacks or larger, the main product they are trying to replace. Meaning having to flip, or click to turn the page isn't happening any sooner than before. Believe it or not, when you're reading an LCD you're staring almost right at a bulb, combine that with the bleach white of most programs and you've got ereading disaster. Thats bad, and causes fatigue exponentially faster than if you were reading from paper in natural light. One reason why many desktop LCDs have a yellowing option when reading large sections of text.
    If a backlight was at all feasible ereaders would have jumped on it from the beginning, the 4 shades of eink is the main reason why ereaders are having trouble taking off. Everyone is waiting for organic color ink to solve its production issues.
    If a backlight wasn't a turnoff to experienced digital reader fans PMPs would have taken over the ereader scene ages ago.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-28-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Have you used the Sony eReader at all? It's a good piece of kit IMO. Changing the pages on it was about as easier than flicking a page over. Plus the additional lighting attachment done it's job well. My grandmother used hers on a flight to and from Portugal and will be using it on her 23hr flight to Australia in the coming week, never had a problem but i know it's horses for courses.

Most eReaders are practical and take less space than conventional books. Plus sitting in front of a computer on a computer chair isn't what i'd personally call comfortable.

Anyway, as i'm in the print trade i can't give eReaders much credit as there is a certain potential for eReaders to take much of our market over. When it comes to some of our clients, they could easily lower their print runs, and replace it with a cheaper alternative - eBook.
    Last edited by Lor; 01-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.

i'm kinda disappointed... I want something attractive and versatile and affordable. The ipad is thin and it seems fairly affordable, but it's not attractive in the way i want it to be, and it seems very restrictive. i think i'll wait for something comparable that can run a regular OS.

man all i really want is my white nc10 with a narrower bezel and a detachable keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Have you used the Sony eReader at all? It's a good piece of kit IMO. Changing the pages on it was about as easier than flicking a page over. Plus the additional lighting attachment done it's job well. My grandmother used hers on a flight to and from Portugal and will be using it on her 23hr flight to Australia in the coming week, never had a problem but i know it's horses for courses.

Most eReaders are practical and take less space than conventional books. Plus sitting in front of a computer on a computer chair isn't what i'd personally call comfortable.

Anyway, as i'm in the print trade i can't give eReaders much credit as there is a certain potential for eReaders to take much of our market over. When it comes to some of our clients, they could easily lower their print runs, and replace it with a cheaper alternative - eBook.
    I looked at one at the store before Christmas; I still feel a bit antsy about screen size.

And I will probably always prefer my books in print, anyway. Old dogs and new tricks and whatnot.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

And I will probably always prefer my books in print, anyway.
    This I agree with

I looked at one at the store before Christmas; I still feel a bit antsy about screen size.

And I will probably always prefer my books in print, anyway. Old dogs and new tricks and whatnot.
    I'd rather keep things that way, as it is print runs have dipped right down. A prime example is a new customer we tendered for, the tender was for 10k/month but it's actually 4k/month.

maxIpad

It won't run Flash and you can't change the battery. That's pretty dumb. I wanted an apple netbook type thingie, dammit.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

I could actually be in the market for something like this, I like the iPhone it works well and had the iPad been basically a touch-interfaced Netbook I'd have been very tempted. I don't need a Laptop, but I could do with one and something cheaper and lighter like a tablet could be useful.

But no Flash or multitasking is bizarre. What's the point in that then? Disappointed too as I guess it means we won't gain Flash in this years update to the iPhone either.

oh my God what a PR nightmare!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35109625...h_and_gadgets/
    http://jezebel.com/5458338/that-time...yline=true&s=i

Apple's iPad announcement earlier this afternoon prompted a score of WTFing across the internet, prompting many to ask, "Are there any women on Apple's marketing team?" Answer: Apparently not. (Period.)

From Twitter (for what it's worth, #iTampon is apparently the number three trending topic on the site.):

tjakabon: "It surfs the web AND stops the bleeding."

Gelatobaby: And you can use the giant QWERTY keyboard to get your period on the #iPad!

CarolBlymire: Is #apple making an iPad for light-flow days? Just wondering...

Trish1981: iPad? Really? All I can say is, I'm sticking with Always, bitches.

tremendousnews: So I can say "That chick is on her iPad" and not be called a pig? Thank you Apple.

melissapierce: iPad has changed "the conversation" from how we use tech in context to how we use tech as Kotex. (who named this thing?)

TwittsMcGee: I haven't heard this many period jokes since I was forced to watch The View last month. #iPad

kathycacace: Okay, just one more. The iPad: protecting your data from embarrassing incidents.

Johnpapa: "64 gig iPad will forever be known as the heavy flow model."

From the comments section of "Period Pieces":

lady_justice: Did the prototype come with a belt?

Lymed: Does the Period Tracker app come free?

fauxfruit: If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

andBegorrah: If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

boston_nj: Meh. I'll wait until they come out with the iDivaCup

morninggloria: Don't wear white jeans while using an iPad, and especially don't use an iPad in front of your crush. You're a teen magazine embarrassing moment waiting to happen.

ms negative the easy-going unicorn: someone needs to make a 'mysterious blue liquid stain on white' wallpaper for this.

LilSpitfire: Later in the year they will be releasing the companion tablet pen, the Ipon.

Vesuvius At Home (I believe in peace, bitch): But what if the cute boys see me shopping for one? What if my dad has to take me??

NellMood: It's so beautiful when an electronics company finally becomes a woman...

Cinnamoncanuck: @NellMood: Aunt Flo will be so happy! Reply

soykatrina: Eh, I prefer the CVS brand. A few bucks less but does the same thing...

vlvtjones: So will iffy Wifi coverage be called iSpotting?

morninggloria: Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

Mary McCarthyite: Everyone, just try to Stay(free) calm and Poise(d). It's Always nice to see a new product on the market. I Depend on Apple to come up with great ideas. Maybe we're taking this out of Kotex.

Lymed: Somebody give the iPad a Red Bull, because it ain't no good without wings.

andBegorrah: Are you there, God? It's me, Marketing.

NellMood: iPads are for 8th graders. I'm waiting for the iTampon, because I prefer to do all my interneting from inside my vagina.

BicSharpie: Hopefully it will help people deal with the 24-hour news cycle.

(Image Credit: Brad Stephenson)

Earlier: 8 Reasons Women Should Be Excited For Apple's "iPad"

Related: Apple's iPad Name Not the First Choice for Women. Period. [Fast Company]

If it had an attachment that connected to your arm and made you look like a star captain, then maybe.

Apple iPad A Revolution in Parody Inspiration: