Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk, for the forum-crazy android

Default Tapatalk, for the forum-crazy android

I'm a forum junkie, and these days I can't do without my android. If you're like me, you might enjoy Tapatalk:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Probably the best forum experience I've had on my phone.

cheers!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

How much better is it than the mobile theme with browser? I don't like using apps, I try to use the browser as much as possible and am generally happy with it. Especially because the browser just sips power and I get great battery life without apps-

IMO, it's what every mobile theme should aspire to be. Fast, simple, elegant, good looks.

Given the low cost I think it's worth a trial not sure if your fave forums have enabled support for tapatalk however.

The only problem I have with it is the lack of tabbed browsing, in that sense browsers like Miren etc are much better.

Does this place support it? I'm assuming not...it's the only forum I visit, I'm no cheater.

But no tabbed browsing? That's sorta awful.

Well, the source says that a forum can download the plug-in to make it work for free. It also supports vBulletin, so TWF shouldn't be a problem. I support the idea actually.

And Dread's picture makes me want to root my HTC Desire and get rid of HTC Sense. Think I will.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

It's the way Android was meant to be.

Granted I think I'm sort of exceptional in my maniacal battery management. Turn 3G off, use browser as much as possible (except for Facebook, Angry Birds, Google Books, etc)...

The only question is as follows: what ROM should I use for HTC Desire? I think someone else got the phone too. Was it in fact Minx?
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

My two favourites are Oxygen and MIUI, have used MIUI the most and don't think I'll be switching back to Oxygen for a while. Using Zeam launcher on MIUI, most pleased with the whole experience! I think Oxygen may be better for battery life, but then again I haven't flashed the radio to the version that's supposed to be the most compatible with MIUI.

Just don't forget to wipe cache or just plain wipe everything before flashing the ROM, it usually saves a great deal of trouble.

I def. haven't regretted rooting, even for a second

Ah, that looks a lot like the iOS on the iPhone 4. I love the smooth transition animations, but truly hate that they have to make the icons look like an iPhone too by rounding them off and adding that rather repulsive blue border. So how is it in terms of battery compared to Sense? Also, does it have an as great looking music player as Sense? That is one of my hesitations with Oxygen. It got the most hideous looks for the music player, and is really bland in general. I do not want better battery life if it means compromising on the interface all that much. Then I could as well buy a Samsung E2370 with 2 months standby time. Also, is MIUI based on Gingerbread? If no, is that an upgrade most current ROMs will do, even if HTC Desire is somewhat yesterday's news?

A lot of questions, but it'd be nice if you could answer them one by one.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's the way Android was meant to be.

Granted I think I'm sort of exceptional in my maniacal battery management. Turn 3G off, use browser as much as possible (except for Facebook, Angry Birds, Google Books, etc)...
    You do know that 3G is less energy consuming when you actually use it? EDGE/GPRS is only less power intensive in standby...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Exactly. I don't just leave my phone sitting in 3G on standby. I enable 3G when doing something bandwidth intensive that can be accomplished faster with 3G.

Why are you so anal about battery charge life? Is your access to electricity sparse?

That should be rather obvious, or not? You need battery for when you're on the move, so that you don't end up in town at night with no battery left or the likes.

Mine lasts typically 12-15 hours, so it's quite dire when I forget to charge it over night.

Yeah, I'm also battery conscious, especially if I'm going out. I usually disable data transfer unless I need it.

Yeah, the whole thrill of a mobile phone for me is the ability to access all that information when I'm on the go. I see so many people constantly having to charge their phones or roaming around quietly nervous at their low battery meter. I prefer to keep my battery life long and predictable. Somewhat paradoxically, focusing on this gives me a sense of being unconnected and more flexible.

I can't remember the last time my iPhone4 went flat. The phone has a better battery life than the 3G, but if I'm driving or at home or at work I've got a charger available anyway.

I've considered selling my HTC Desire (with profit if I can!), and replace it with two gadgets. First an iPod Touch, as it got the beautiful App Store and otherwise is the perfect entertainment device on the go. Secondly I'd get a Samsung E2370, a basic (rather affordable) phone with the longest battery life on the market - roughly 2 months. It seems like an alright trade off, as I'm not too conflicted by the thought of carrying those two on me at all times.

Kazuha-- can you see the new Android app store with the HTC Desire? I got a massively new and great app store last week, but I'm not sure if that's dependent on the Android version and cell carrier I have.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I can't remember the last time my iPhone4 went flat. The phone has a better battery life than the 3G, but if I'm driving or at home or at work I've got a charger available anyway.
    I'm curious.

Not sure if iPhones have a time-since-last-charge meter, but try running it until it's almost dead and see how much time you actually get. Without charging it on the go, etc.

Yeah, I got it too. There's some kind of bug however, since when I try to launch some games I downloaded earlier, I am instead linked to the new app store.

I'm curious.

Not sure if iPhones have a time-since-last-charge meter, but try running it until it's almost dead and see how much time you actually get. Without charging it on the go, etc.
    Why?

The iPhone's battery might as well be renamed "how bored was I today meter". If I go without using it, without charging it, on airplane mode I can get over a month out of it (I took it to Canada for a month and never charged it once, used it for games and music a bit but had it on Airplane mode the entire trip and it never went flat). If its actually being used and the apps are used etc, then it obviously takes a hit. I can't recall the last time I went a day without using it loads, so its not a reasonable metric for me to test.

Of course it lasts long if you don't use the antenna If I don't have my (android) phone on airplane mode, but disable internet, it lasts pretty long too. I'm mostly curious how my battery compares to an iphone if you use it the same.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I doubt I use it the same, I use it all day every day. If I leave it on "standby" I frequently leave it on the browser for a webpage that auto-refreshes every 60 seconds and leaving the screen on. That obviously drains the battery a lot faster than it should otherwise.

I think battery meters have gotten less accurate for some reason. I think we've gotten accustomed to not thinking carefully about what discharges batteries, so we carry around chargers all the time to "top off" the batteries.

Here's a screenshot of my battery allegedly at 12% taken about an hour ago (I'm in a contest with some friends who have the same phone).

2 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 35 seconds on my Nexus S on this charge. 12% battery remaining.

I unplugged it Thursday afternoon and -- because it was a weekend -- have been using it a lot more because I don't have a desk line nearby. But I didn't do a few power-intensive things like make a video.

I just realized the Settings -> About --> Battery Use function lets you tap on each power drain to get more info. So here's some metrics

+ Voice calls- 71 minutes

+ Google Books- 39 minutes

+ Angry Birds- 21 minutes

+ Text messages- 84 since I last unplugged (yes, I just counted them)

+ Facebook- Didn't register on battery meter, but I did browse during the superbowl to see people's comments on commercials. And uploaded one photo.

+ Camera- Took some pictures of the kids (what else?).

+ Google Maps- No usage stat in Battery Status, but I was wandering around Hoboken, NJ last night for the Superbowl so I relied on it plenty.

+ Browser- There doesn't seem to be a usage time with this, but I used it a ton. Yet it was only 3% of the total power drain.

Sticking to my theory that leaving 3G off unless needed and relying on the browser is the winning combo.

My battery meter is crap since I updated to Froyo I think, it's not as detailed as I remember it was.

I think we've gotten accustomed to not thinking carefully about what discharges batteries, so we carry around chargers all the time to "top off" the batteries.
    Yeah, and? What's the problem there?
    Sticking to my theory that leaving 3G off unless needed and relying on the browser is the winning combo.
    I think using your device you pay a fortune for to its full potential and having accessible chargers is a winning combo.

I agree there, I am only battery cautious when I know I can't recharge often (e.g. when going out, traveling, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yeah, and? What's the problem there?
    I think using your device you pay a fortune for to its full potential and having accessible chargers is a winning combo.
    I value being untethered as often as possible, especially on weekends and in the summer. I get a lot more out of simply being able to check info, make sure no urgent e-mail comes in, take pictures and read some news more than any of the higher-level functions.

I can't believe you don't have a blackberry