Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible stuff happening in Mexico

Why doesn't anybody like my annexation idea?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Wanting to vote in some places in the world can get you shot.

What makes moving house to get a better job to provide for your family a major law and wearing a seat belt so you don't kill yourself or others in an accident a minor one?

It seems to me you're no different to other nanny staters afterall.
    LOL

Illegally invading a country, sucking up billions in resources and increasing the crime rate isn't something we should be worried about eh? Sorry you don't allow mass migration from a very different culture and expect it to be allowed.

If you believe there should be limits on migration then those limits are not nuisance laws. They are not minor laws. They are not freedom killing laws for your citizens. Oh other people citizens don't have the freedom to come here? A country should concern itself with the freedom and rights of its citizens above other people's citizens. Just like the murder of Americans by pirates infuriates and saddens me but the murder of other countries citizens by pirates only saddens me. The responsibility for your country resides in the people of that country, not other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I love it (assuming we don't give citizenship to Mexicans... maybe wait about 50 years?), but it might be politically impractical.

What, so you can then turn around and get to make more accusations of the Imperialist nature of the US?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    LOL

Illegally invading a country, sucking up billions in resources and increasing the crime rate isn't something we should be worried about eh?
    We're discussing what should be the law so "illegal" doesn't mean much more than referring to drugs as illegal, or riding without seatbelts as illegal which are both laws you oppose.

Invade is quite a strong word, I don't think people are moving to the US to invade it.

Resources can be a net boon from migration. How's this: Migrants who want to work can do - must pay taxes etc from day one, can't claim any benefits until after 5 years of taxes have been made.

Crime rate? Punish the criminals and then expel them.
    Sorry you don't allow mass migration from a very different culture and expect it to be allowed.
    Very different culture? So if Democratic liberals from New York wanted to flood into rural Texas should that be banned? Afterall liberal Democrats from New York have a different culture to redneck rural Texas do they not?
    If you believe there should be limits on migration then those limits are not nuisance laws. They are not minor laws. They are not freedom killing laws for your citizens. Oh other people citizens don't have the freedom to come here? A country should concern itself with the freedom and rights of its citizens above other people's citizens. Just like the murder of Americans by pirates infuriates and saddens me but the murder of other countries citizens by pirates only saddens me. The responsibility for your country resides in the people of that country, not other countries.
    Yes it is a freedom-killing law for your citizens. What if you chose you wanted to move to the UK or Australia etc? You can't because of those same laws.

As for citizens, your definition is set only be the state. The same state you don't think should be interfering with your life. Funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    What, so you can then turn around and get to make more accusations of the Imperialist nature of the US?
    Maybe you don't understand what annexation entails? I'll give you a hint, look into it.

RB we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think a world without borders would be a good thing. You apparently think it would be.

RB we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think a world without borders would be a good thing. You apparently think it would be.
    What does global economy bring to mind?

What does global economy bring to mind?
    Eh? I'm not a protectionist loon however I do believe nations have unique cultures and ways of life. A lot of the world would love to come to America. I mean why not? We are awesome. There are billions of dollars in costs for allowing the unchecked migration and that is just the financial consideration.

Eh? I'm not a protectionist loon however I do believe nations have unique cultures and ways of life. A lot of the world would love to come to America. I mean why not? We are awesome. There are billions of dollars in costs for allowing the unchecked migration and that is just the financial consideration.
    My point was more like bringing America to them you isolationist bastard.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but still want to continue talking about it
    Again you refer to culture but you totally ignored my question about whether you think liberal Democratic New York City dwellers have the same or even similar "culture" to rural, conservative, Republican Texans? I think "culture" in New York could arguably be closer to that in London, than that in the Texan outback - so under your logic should the English be allowed to move to New York - or Americans be allowed to move to London?

There are costs involved in clearing up dead bodies off the highway and the knock-on consequences for the entire local economy. I don't know about in America, but in the UK at least if there is a minor collission on the motorway then a lane get closed until it can be cleared up and traffic can continue. If there is a fatality then the law is that the entire section of the motorway must be closed while all evidence is gathered. I've been stuck for hours in one of those closures once before. Consequences of the latter to both the state and the economy are estimated to run into the hundreds of thousands. No seat-belt can make the difference between "minor collission" and "fatality". Using your costs logic, seat belts should also be enforced.

Maybe you don't understand what annexation entails? I'll give you a hint, look into it.
    Really?

The Annexation of Hawaii was not a nice or truly willing process on behalf of the native Hawaiians

Ya think the Mexicans (or the rest of the world) would like this idea? (The US is taking Mexico for their oil!)
    I'll give you a hint, kiss my ass.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    ...kiss my ass.
    Stick it up to your monitor.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but still want to continue talking about it
    Again you refer to culture but you totally ignored my question about whether you think liberal Democratic New York City dwellers have the same or even similar "culture" to rural, conservative, Republican Texans? I think "culture" in New York could arguably be closer to that in London, than that in the Texan outback - so under your logic should the English be allowed to move to New York - or Americans be allowed to move to London?

There are costs involved in clearing up dead bodies off the highway and the knock-on consequences for the entire local economy. I don't know about in America, but in the UK at least if there is a minor collission on the motorway then a lane get closed until it can be cleared up and traffic can continue. If there is a fatality then the law is that the entire section of the motorway must be closed while all evidence is gathered. I've been stuck for hours in one of those closures once before. Consequences of the latter to both the state and the economy are estimated to run into the hundreds of thousands. No seat-belt can make the difference between "minor collission" and "fatality". Using your costs logic, seat belts should also be enforced.
    Yes culture is different in New York then Texas. However I (and I believe most Americans) identify themselves as Americans first then by what state they reside in.

Yes culture is different in New York then Texas. However I (and I believe most Americans) identify themselves as Americans first then by what state they reside in.
    Really?

If Sandals can do it, so can Lewk.

So everyone in the deep South would identify with yankees then?

Many Scots identify more as Scottish than British and are quite Anglophobic. Should the English be banned from moving to Edinburgh?

So everyone in the deep South would identify with yankees then?

Many Scots identify more as Scottish than British and are quite Anglophobic. Should the English be banned from moving to Edinburgh?
    Thats up to England. But isn't your country kinda weird when it comes to your version of states?

And yes the deep south does identify with yankees. Listen to some more country music.

Here we go
    Yeah
    Ha-ha-ha-ha
    Aw man you gotta watch where
    you're sniffin' around here

Yeah I got a friend in New York City
    He's never heard of Conway Twitty
    Don't know nothin' 'bout grits and greens
    Never been south of Queens
    But he flew down here on a business trip
    I took him honky tonkin' and that was it
    He took to it like a pig to mud like a cow to cud