Thread: Sky to launch 3DTV

Default Sky to launch 3DTV

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8483136.stm

I hated 1980's 3D movies with those crappy paper blue and red glasses. Always gave me a headache and it was never a proper 3D image.

Recently though 3D movies have actually been really good. Haven't seen Avatar yet but would like to, but seen a few impressive Disney movies in 3D (Coraline springs to mind). Was wondering why it wasn't being done on HDTVs.

In recent years I've switched almost everything to HD - got a HD TV, Sky+HD and at Christmas got a PS3 from my girlfriend so we've started a Blu-Ray collection. Can really tell the difference between DVD and BluRay, or SDTV and HDTV. But true 3D is probably going to be "the next big thing".

This article says that Sky would be launching it for their Sky+HD subscribers (that includes me), but then says that 3DTV sets will start being sold later in the year, makes it sound incompatible with existing TVs. Anyone know, if/when 3DTV starts getting pushed, will everyone who's gone out and bought HDTV sets needs to replace it then with a new 3DTV one?

How are other nations broadcasters doing at launching this?

HDTVs need to be 3D capable, which most currently aren't. Only a couple models are truly 3D capable. Many will run at 120hz (needed for decent 3D), but don't actually accept inputs at that rate. So you probably will have to upgrade your TV to get decent 3D out of it.

I threw some money down the drain this past december and bought myself a 3D monitor for games. Certain games can look really cool with this.

What games are out that are 3D?

Just after seeing a 3D movie for the first time, while a childrens 3D spy hamster movie (can't remember its name) was out, I got Amanda a "3D" 360 game of it. Was very unimpressed when we opened the case and found out that it was the crappy blue/red glasses and not the digital 3D.

Any game that uses a 3D engine can be rendered in 3D. So making a game intended for 2D monitors work in 3D can all be done at run-time, which means that even games a decade old can potentially work well in 3D. Most games don't do anything special to support this, although a few have started testing their stuff to make sure it transitions to 3D monitors well.

I haven't tried out very many games since getting the monitor, but so far I think Borderlands was the best. EU3 actually looked pretty cool in 3D too, but I didn't see much point in it for that sort of game, so I've been sticking to 2D anyways.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Trackmania Nations is another great 3d game if you're looking to try one.
    Still in Red and Bule though.
    The best 3d I've ever seen was this one Imax film about the Space Station. The shots of space in 3d are some of the only truly breathtaking moments I've ever seen in a film, and the fact that it didn't use colored glasses was a bonus.
    I enjoy blank walls.

On the side jack of 3D games... I had the 3D Glasses (lcd/shutter) years ago for PC, and while they didn't work on all games some were really fantastically immersive. Two of my favorites were SystemShock2 and Decent 3 (was it 2 or 3, hmmm)

I probably still have those glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    On the side jack of 3D games... I had the 3D Glasses (lcd/shutter) years ago for PC, and while they didn't work on all games some were really fantastically immersive. Two of my favorites were SystemShock2 and Decent 3 (was it 2 or 3, hmmm)

I probably still have those glasses...
    I had those and used them for UT for awhile. It was fun to run around in the maps in 3D but when it came time to fight I had to close one eye to aim properly.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I had those and used them for UT for awhile. It was fun to run around in the maps in 3D but when it came time to fight I had to close one eye to aim properly.
    OH my god, that's so funny
    Congratulations America

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35779330...h_and_gadgets/

NEW YORK - Samsung and Panasonic will start selling 3-D TVs in U.S. stores this week, inaugurating what TV makers hope is the era of 3-D viewing in the living room.
    Springing for a 1080p several years ago did not futureproof me nearly as much as I hoped for.

Told ya so...

I guess you'll be going to the store this week, then.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Ha, no. I can wait another couple years for the price to come down, the tech to improve, and the content to fill out. I've already got a 3D monitor for my computer if I really want to see something in 3D.

I was all excited and making plans to go visit you, too.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Meh. It's all terribly impressive technically, but it does it make the dramas anymore engrossing, or the documentaries any more informative? I fully expect that we'll see the same old mediocre shit, but in 3D.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Saw Alice In Wonderland 3D today at the cinema today, was very good. In prior 3D films I've seen, like Coraline, there's been occasionally impressive 3D moments but most of it appears 2D. This film was genuinely 3D throughout and it worked really well (as well as being a good story).

Was amused by the number of ads before hand in 3D too. The Sky 3DTV ad looked good.

Mmmm will wait and see what it looks like demonstrated before I would make any decisions.

The current crop of 3D movies is impressive (seen both A Christmas Carol and Avatar recently), but I have a feeling it works for the big screen, not the little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.