Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Hahaha the season opener for SVU is "not based on any real person or event" and has the "best contender for next prime minister of Italy" suspected of raping a hotel maid

Stay classy, Dick
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    It's the beginning of new teevee season.

I assume that the sucky shows won't be cancelled, and the ones I actually like will be, since that's the way it usually works. Anyway, if you watch one, post and let us know.
    A Gifted Man had a 50-50 pilot

Might go towards good stuff, might be shit

So there you go
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Big Bang Theory is back, with a little less heart than usual but still lovely

“You can't ruin a friendship with sex! That's like… trying to ruin icecream with chocolate sprinkles!”
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Game of Thrones
    Such is Life...

Supernatural had a very strong season premiere. This season's big bad could be fun.

Anyone watch the Terra Nova premiere? Is it any good?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have to admit that Star Trek's time travel antics weaned me off any series based on the concept of time travel.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I was waiting to hear what you said about it.

Pan Am is dumb, probably won't be canceled. Haven't watched Boardwalk Empire yet because my DVR went all screwy on me. It might be available on demand or from HBO GO already, but I just set it to record tonight and I'll watch it tomorrow (or while it is on, possibly)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Oh, well, will have a look at Terra Nova regardless.

That said, "Person of Interest" did not really excite me. Kinda "meh". And the second episode of "The Secret Circle" is also kind of boring. And now, off to have a look at "Charlie's Angels" - I do fear that will be as bad as it sounds.

edit: Couldn't stand it past the first 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Hahaha the season opener for SVU is "not based on any real person or event" and has the "best contender for next prime minister of Italy" suspected of raping a hotel maid

Stay classy, Dick
    CHUNK CHUNG
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Well, The Mentalist certainly took off with a bang.

Went through first 20 minutes of Terra Nova so far and it still doesn't look like a series really worth while.

God, 24 minutes and I get the feeling I shouldn't have bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    CHUNK CHUNG
    CHUNK CHUNG

I do miss Chris Meloni's pulsating pectorals, though

Spoiler:
    Dick Wolf

I think I'm going to give A Gifted Man a chance. There's potential, but also a possibility of going down the stupid path like there was no tomorrow. But it's better fluff than Grey's Anatomy at this point, so let's see what happens.

Sometimes I just hate Law and Order. On principle. They sucked me in so many times, only to change their cast I loved so much.

TNT is running old episodes, with original actors, scripts and plots. The very things that attracted me to the series in the first place. Older episodes were grittier, maybe overly dramatic but also more realistic. But partly what made earlier episodes "great" was using unknown actors, new actors, new filming techniques and story telling approaches. Made it very fresh.

Then it turned into fandom. I'd be the first to admit that I wanted to watch the cast of characters, long before they'd managed to become STARS. Even after the star roles were replaced by other actors, or writers were replaced, and the grittiness was scaled back, and the theme music was fucked up....I remained a fan.

I'm still a fan, but a reluctant one.

This might be part of my changing attitude: http://www.eonline.com/on/shows/ice_...oco/index.html

The true star, the embodiment of the franchise, is Dick Wolf

You have to understand, this is crucial to comprehending the series, the nature of Dick Wolf

This man, he is the negative image of Santa Claus. Whenever a child is raped, a daughter is murdered, a convenience store robbed, Dick Wolf was behind it. Every time a crooked cop walks away with it, it was for Dick Wolf. Every beaten rapist, every sodomized murderess, each of these second-order terms of human misery, arranged for us by Dick Wolf.

It says so at the end of every episode. Dick Wolf. You don't mess with the Dick, Dick messes you up. He will twist and pervert you, turn your sense of justice up-side down, juggle it around a bit, makes you care for and love creatures who are profoundly terrifying and wrong; he is the man who can turn Dr. Mengele into Americana. You don't mess with Dick Wolf! But you sure as shit never escape from Dick Wolf, either.

CHUNG CHUNK

Is his name a carefully crafted creation, too? I mean, seriously....DICK WOLF? That's a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Saw it. Meh. Not terrible. Not too good either. I wish I could say I saw potential here for it to turn out great, but I just don't.
    Last edited by Wraith; 10-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.

I've been putting off watching it since the premise sounds so...Retarded, this makes me think I should just delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I've been putting off watching it since the premise sounds so...Retarded, this makes me think I should just delete it?
    They take away some of the retardedness by explaining that it's a different time stream, thus none of their actions will have an effect on the future they come from.

So what the Hell is a "time stream"? Many-worlds interpretation made manifest?

I think that, with that one sentence, you just went way beyond the scientific knowledge of the writers.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

TV sucks

Very old teevee
    Such is Life...

Very old crap teevee, more like.

Fawlty Towers is still one of the best series. John Cleese is a comedic master.

One of my favorite movies is A Fish Called Wanda.

The discussion took place at The New Yorker Festival, and based off Huwitz's comments on stage, the official New Yorker Twitter feed, wrote, "Arrested Development coming back for one more TV season before movie." New York Times reporter Dave Itzkoff was also in attendance at the Q&A and tweeted, "Mitch Hurwitz says he plans limited Arrested Development series (9-10 eps, 1 character per ep) that would lead into movie."
    Seems pretty confirmed. 10 new episodes of Arrested Development, followed by a movie.

So if they can bring back a seven years dead tv show for a new season...when do we get season two of Firefly?

Two words: QI
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Two words: QI
    +1
    Such is Life...

New Höüs was exciting

Too bad it has to fit in a continuity where there's all kinds of troubles

I've been hearing that Terra Nova has gotten good. Anyone been paying enough attention to it to say whether or not that's bullshit?

On another topic, I don't ever want to see that red-neck Marty Stu on Bones again.

Nope. Got about halfway through the third episode of Terra Nova and realised it was a teenie show with lots of good-looking American teenies having teenie tantrums, and very little else.