Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

It took A Gifted Man sixteen episodes to do it, but they finally hit the stupid portion of their ghost plot. But thankfully it was just a 3rd of the episode, and there was acceptable character development otherwise.

Everyone not watching Spartacus is a gods-damned fool, tell ya what.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Anyone watching RCVR yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCVR
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

YES

Oh, be still my heart
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

SyFy Miniseries Event
    ^ How I know it's gonna suck.

(but kudos to them for diversifying outside of the wrestling & ghost hunters markets).

I liked it when it aired back in December.

Saw about 20 mins of Spartacus: Vengeance the other evening.

How much blood? Farcical amounts - most of it parted from body in slo 'mo. Reminded me of Kill Bill. 'Twas very silly.

The language was refreshing though. Wonderfully creative cursing.

~

Mad Men Series 5 comes to British screens this evening, a couple of days behind the US.

Can't wait, we're hooked. Have only just finished Series 4 box set.

You shut your fucking whore mouth if it ain't full of praise for Spartacus, you hear me
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You shut your fucking whore mouth if it ain't full of praise for Spartacus, you hear me
    Ditto.

We loves the gore, the writing...the Elf playing the Praetor, the other villains, THE MOSTLY NAKED MEN BEATING THE SNOT OUT OF EACH OTHER, and the GAY BARBARIAN!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I don't know what I'd pay for a date and subsequent hotel night with Crixus, but I sincerely doubt I'll earn that much any time soon. In aggregate.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Okay, last episode of Spartacus was ... bloody.

Let's see what Game of Thrones has to offer
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Why aren't we talking about Game of Thrones?

Who caught last night's episode?

Spoiler:
    My sperm does the same thing to women.

I don't watch Game of Thrones, and your spoiler sounds.. intriguing.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Well...start. The first season blu rays are a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Why aren't we talking about Game of Thrones?

Who caught last night's episode?

Spoiler:
    My sperm does the same thing to women.
    I'm not talking about Game of Thrones because my understanding and appreciation of the material is way deeper than you other fuckers.

Spoiler:
    Only two pairs of breasts this episode. Subpar.

Question: have motherfuckers been putting spoilers from the book in the Game of Thrones thread just below, or can I look at it safely?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

No real book spoilers present. The worst of it is just a couple comparisons of book scenes to TV scenes that already occurred.

Well...start. The first season blu rays are a good buy.
    I highly doubt they would be a good buy. I don't have a blu ray player
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Could Jericho once more rise from the ashes? The CBS series, about the residents of a town surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, could potentially return with new episodes, says TV Guide Magazine.

New episodes of Jericho would not air on CBS, but be available via Netflix, who TV Guide Magazine reveals are the ones who initiated conversations with CBS TV Studios about reviving the series. Netflix have plans to bring back Arrested Development and were recently in talks (which fell through) to save Terra Nova, along with conversations with Disney about potentially continuing The River – the status of which is currently unknown.
    Source

Jericho was a pretty good series if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Currently available in full on Netflix. First season sagged in the middle, but had a strong start and finish, and the second season was near perfect. I'd watch it if it came back.

Netflix has been going after a lot of original programming lately. They've also got the new season of Arrested Development and some new series that I don't know anything about. I think this is a good sign - I'd love to see more quality original programming being delivered across the internet at viewer convenience rather than the scheduled programming that is standard now. I really hope this works out for them as a business model.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    God, I love Nathan Fillion.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So say we all.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Homeland.

It's superb.
    I actually heard a lot of complaining about that, along the lines of the bad guys winning, so I went out and downloaded it. Three guesses what I'm doing on my vacation this year.

[url=http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1224090p1.html]Netflix has been going after a lot of original programming lately. They've also got the new season of Arrested Development and some new series that I don't know anything about. I think this is a good sign - I'd love to see more quality original programming being delivered across the internet at viewer convenience rather than the scheduled programming that is standard now. I really hope this works out for them as a business model.
    Amen to that. I'm really hoping they can pull off what Apple did with iTunes, and finally break the backs of the TV networks and movie publishers. I'm fucking sick and tired of having to pirate those because the publishers haven't gotten their shit together and provided a central online store yet.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Better Half calls him his other Boyfriend.

Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Still going through Xena. Got to the episode where they kill Ceaser, Xena, and Gabrielle; they even said so (guess to avoid the "it was a dream episode" remarks) in the credits where they usually slip in a joke about filming. Obviously know that this isn't the end of the series, but it was still a very strong and well done episode. Interesting to see that they went with "And you, Brutus?" instead of "Et tu, Brute?"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    I actually heard a lot of complaining about that, along the lines of the bad guys winning, so I went out and downloaded it. Three guesses what I'm doing on my vacation this year.
    I can understand it not being taken to too kindly in the US.

The show doesn't shy away from portraying the intelligence services in a pretty poor light. It depicts torture of suspects by the CIA - torture that is in everything but name.

The characters are very gritty and real; complex people with their own issues, biases and agendae.

And it's also unusual to see an American show with realistic swearing too.

All in all it's a top show. I find myself on the edge of my seat for much of each episode.

So, Nessus, curious on your thoughts on the Haus finale. Did it satisfy?

I commented in IRC. I still have conflicted feelings...

He was the mirror image of my disease. For years, I figured he will die, because it's the disease...

They went with a weird mixture. It wasn't what I expected. Not what I wanted. I wasn't as happy with it as I was with the BSG finale, and that was already a mixed bag to say the least...

But, I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me. It offered hope, and redemption. House
    Spoiler:
    put someone ahead of himself
    , so.

He, I think, strangely remained a mirror through my own healing. I understood him, when I had the disease, and I understood him now.

Am I the only one who watches teevee?

Anyhows, a new miniseries is airing called Political Animals, which stars Sigorney Weaver of all people as a mock-Hillary Clinton type character (though obviously she's actually hot). So we follow the lives of White House insiders.

As we say in Finnish, I'm giving this a definite maybe. The cast is pretty high level (the guy who played Ceasar in Rome is the ex-husband ex-POTUS, for example), and the acting's fairly good. There is a lot of very obvious plot points, and I doubt this show's going to break any boundaries or strike on something novel, but I can see them managing a decent "high stress lives of people in high institutions" plot arc. So far the only somewhat partisan thing was a reference to grid lock Congress but it wasn't even directly blamed on the GOP, so the show's at least not yet a glorified Obama election ad. The people also swear a lot, and there's so much insulting other people that it feels a bit gratuitous (contrast for example with the fluid and organic use of language in Deadwood).

This definitely won't be another Kings, but given the level of teevee these days good or even remotely decent drama should be encouraged, non?

Couple of new things recently.

Veep, written by Armando Ianucci, who seems to have started writing for American tv now rather than British. Fast-talkin much-swearin comedy, about the VP. I like.

~

The Newsroom, with Jeff Daniels. First couple of episodes were good, but perhaps a little lightweight. Discusses real news issues though which makes it interesting, reminded me a little of Drop the Dead Donkey from that point of view.

Saw the third episode last night though and it was, far, far better. Excellent drama.

~

Found out that the second series of Homeland is on its way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Kings
    The people responsable for butchering any chances at success of Kings should be taken out and shot.

You on the other hand have made Political Animals the one thing I want to watch now, for no other reason than that you mentioned Kings.
    Congratulations America

Now, that was a great watch. I hope they're not being serious about this being just a mini-series.
    Congratulations America