Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

So I've spent most of this day with a post-call hangover watching "Wolverine and the X-Men". Thought at first it would be a sappy melodramatic unoriginal toothache of a show but it quickly took off and proved to be awesome. The first season's main story as well as the episode plots were all mostly well-written. The dialogue was more grown-up than I'd expected. The characterisation and voice acting really did everyone justice, even if Wolverine's gravelly voice was a little too gravelly. Probably my favourite takes on eg. Magneto and Gambit so far. A teensy weensy bit too much of the brooding macho men saving damsels, but the season finale kinda made up for that. One of the dramatic high-points features an adorable adopted Sentinel who can only say "Destroy!" Really enjoyed the first season, and the finale was just right for both giving closure and setting up the next season. I was like SQUEE.

So of course the bastards cancelled the show.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The story of film: an odyssey.

It's fairly interesting so far, but god the voice of the narrator, who's also director, producer, etc., is truly wrong for this kind of thing. It's annoying, and so annoying it distracts.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Homeland season 2 is out in the UK.

First episode was as breathlessly excellent as most of the 1st season's episodes were.

Except when Carrie is interned briefly in Nicosia, Cyprus before undertaking a mission in Beirut, and it portrays her in a villa by the sea. When I lived in Nicosia for 8 years, it was on a plain between the mountain ranges of Kyrenia and Troodos, in the middle of the island, and nowhere near the goddamn coast.

I missed that blooper, but Beirut also doesn't look like the big city it really is. It's as if they picked some random small city in an arab country for those shots.

Walking Dead is also back, this time with an all new Rick who's not half as annoying as the Rick from season 1 and 2.

Downton Abbey for my weekly dose of sappy costume drama, but I think they should start working towards a series final for that one. Even Maggie Smith doesn't have the great lines she had during the first season.

Dexter, still love it, they're doing a good job with last season's cliffhanger of Deb finding out what Dexter has for a hobby.
    Congratulations America

Was anybody waiting for a revival of Red Dwarf? I used to like it but now it just comes accross as stale and repetitive.
    Congratulations America

Used to love Red Dwarf.

It got shit when they replaced Rimmer with Christine Kochansky in RW VII or VIII.

Haven't bothered with X, the revival.

Cable tv sucks. They keep running the same old "blockbuster" movies on a loop. October usually means "Fear Fests" involving ghosts, witches, masked hooligans, slashers with chain saws....and dumb teenagers. With tons of commercials for snack foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pil..._miniseries%29

Watching this now. Read the book way back and enjoyed it. The series has been pretty good thus far (4 episodes in).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Should I get HBO ?

The Mindy Project is sort of growing on me.
    Congratulations America

Yeah, I don't have HBO either. That's another tier higher than my level two cable/internet bundling, but I refuse to pay what they're asking, or adding phone/voice to the mix. As it is, I feel like the whole damn thing is a scam. But HBO series and movies eventually become available On-Demand, or as disc sets, and are more affordable by then.

It's €15 per month for 3 channels overhere, I can't make up my mind. The advantage would be that Ronald and I can watch TV together a bit more as he does need subtitles a lot more than I do.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, The Following. Anyone seen that besides me? Thought it an interesting premise (if a tad unrealistic), could've done with a more "insane" counter part.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

'Zat the one with Kevin Bacon?

If so, we've started recording the series - it started last night here. Will be checking out this week ...

Anybody watch The Tudors? I was scrolling through Netflix and saw it was available on streaming.

I'll be getting rid of cable in May; the price has become insane and there's only a dozen channels we actively watch. I'm hoping that Netflix, and if necessary, HuluPlus will help replace the need for cable. Anyone else use these two sites for primary "TV" watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Anybody watch The Tudors? I was scrolling through Netflix and saw it was available on streaming.

I'll be getting rid of cable in May; the price has become insane and there's only a dozen channels we actively watch. I'm hoping that Netflix, and if necessary, HuluPlus will help replace the need for cable. Anyone else use these two sites for primary "TV" watching?
    The first season was ok, after that it gave me the feeling as if they were milking the story too much. Like watching history in real time.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post

I heard that a great new series is streaming its entire first season on Netflix. "House of Cards". Kevin Spacey has a leading role. It's a political drama, based on a British show, originally based on a novel. Sounds intriguing.

If Netflix can pull this off, it might change the future of all dramatic series. Instead of buying cable TV with tiered packages, Dish or Direct TV, with all its bundling.... we might be able to "buy" all shows ala carte.

You know, Kevin Spacey is a great actor, but I have a hard time watching him after seeing him in Se7en all those years ago. For some odd reason I can't separate that character from him. So I really can't enjoy anything else he is in. Se7en is one of the few movies I can't ever watch again. It's one of two movies that I was livid after viewing. (The other was Serenity, but that was for a different reason. They killed off two of my favorite Firefly characters! I'm still steamed about that) Yes, I am an odd bird.

Livid?

Strange indeedy. 'Twas a great film. One of the few I liked Gwyneth Paltrow in, she annoys me normally. That scene when Freeman tells Paltrow that if she has the child, she must spoil it rotten, and her face crumbles. Always catches me; great scene, great acting.

Anyway, I'll stop going on about it now.

The original House of Cards was very good indeed. I wonder what it will be like in this new incarnation. I should be able to see it here in Turkey through my sat-tv service a day or so after it's made available in the US.
    Congratulations America

The people behind Burn Notice had a great thing going. Why the hell did they think it would be a good idea to bring in a shite character like Jesse??!?! who gets these stupid ideas??! Why do execs continue to let stupid writers do this sort of thing??? It's so unnecessary. Anyone can recognise the warning signs that identify this sort of useless character and just avoid writing them in.

So how come nobody told me about Utopia? I just saw the first episode and it kind of blew me away.
    Congratulations America

I found Hannibal to be interesting.

I think they were trying a little bit too hard. None of the characters seem particularly likable. I'll watch a few more episodes before deciding whether the show's any good.
    Hope is the denial of reality

"Defiance" is premiering soon. The promos look interesting, and the theme song is stuck in my head.

Looks like Syfy might start airing science fiction shows soon. I'm as surprised as anyone.

Syfy? Isn't that the Wrestling channel?

Nah it's a crappy "Sci-fi" channel - we get it here too.

~

First episode of new season of Mad Men was rather underwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So, The Following. Anyone seen that besides me? Thought it an interesting premise (if a tad unrealistic), could've done with a more "insane" counter part.
    I'll just say that the FBI in The Following is protrayed as dumber than CTU in 24...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Why do I have to love shows that get cancelled?

Now I have to find a replacement for Lie to Me

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Nah it's a crappy "Sci-fi" channel - we get it here too.
    *woooosh*